Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2016 11:34:32 AM EDT
Haven't really kept up with it. Need a new optic and will either stick with the proven aimpoint PRO or try the MRO.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#1]
ive noticed that unless you look centered you can get the so called red glare but it goes away if centered.

hate the open based mounts. takes your eyes off target by distraction. so I went with a solid adm.

I do notice some slight magnification if object is close. testing in house.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Every complaint floating on the Internet doesn't bother me. I'm sure Trijicon can improve on it, but a 2.0 MRO won't be around the corner tho... the pros of the illumination adjuster position, two off settings and open windage/elevation outweigh the biggest con; which is the slight red glare.

It really seems like the need to change their lens coating more than anything.

I've had a Eotech EXPS 2, Aimpoint H-1/T-1. Out of all I like the Aimpoint the least. If the Eotech 's wasn't so damned heavy and now with the manufacturer issue; it would be at the top of the list... The MRO is my favorite RDS right now.

See if anyone from the forum is in your area and has one mounted. Most people seem to be walking around the house with it not mounted., then noticing what the Internet is saying. The MRO qualities shine, when actually shooting with it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Proven? IMO No

I have personally seen and read about to many failures for me to run one

Now for a new cool red dot on a paper puncher that will never be used in a self defense situation sure why not? But wouldn't a much cheaper PA red dot fill that role?

I would just go with an Aimpoint PRO
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Proven? IMO No

Now for a new cool red dot on a paper puncher that will never be used in a self defense situation sure why not? But wouldn't a much cheaper PA red dot fill that role?

View Quote

The "Proven" thing in firearm/accessories etc always gets me... Trijicon itself it a "proven" brand. Shit, my H-1 would shut down randomly. This is after it was out for almost 2 yrs. I ended up refunding that one and got the T-1. The T-1 didnt sync with my magnifiers, so i eventually sold that....it seems people just (in general,  not you) dick ride one brand and scrutinize another one. The MRO is getting bashed heavy. Not like it's stupid expensive either.

Idk what the requirements are for "proven"  but the MRO hasn't failed me. I have ran 800rds through my rifle with it so far. I'm definitely gonna run my rifle harder since it's warming up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a new product, so has it built a reputation yet, etc.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've never got a shit product from Trijicon. Even with me not liking the Micro Aimpoints, I'll still would use their products. Between the both, they don't put out BS to the Market. I see it as brand rep, rather than single product rep.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess the other question is, what does it have to offer vs the PRO?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

Me being a leftie, I like that the brightness adjustment turrent is on top. Whether you have to adjust the dot alot or not, the open windage/elevation is great. Can be adjusted with a bullet tip... bout 3oz lighter, not including the mounts. I prefer the simpler look. No caps or covers. If you don't live in the desert where sand will likely etch the glass up, don't worry about covers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Me being a leftie, I like that the brightness adjustment turrent is on top. Whether you have to adjust the dot alot or not, the open windage/elevation is great. Can be adjusted with a bullet tip... bout 3oz lighter, not including the mounts. I prefer the simpler look. No caps or covers. If you don't live in the desert where sand will likely etch the glass up, don't worry about covers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh PRO can be adjusted with a car key.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The "Proven" thing in firearm/accessories etc always gets me... Trijicon itself it a "proven" brand. Shit, my H-1 would shut down randomly. This is after it was out for almost 2 yrs. I ended up refunding that one and got the T-1. The T-1 didnt sync with my magnifiers, so i eventually sold that....it seems people just (in general,  not you) dick ride one brand and scrutinize another one. The MRO is getting bashed heavy. Not like it's stupid expensive either.

Idk what the requirements are for "proven"  but the MRO hasn't failed me. I have ran 800rds through my rifle with it so far. I'm definitely gonna run my rifle harder since it's warming up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Proven? IMO No

I'm happy yours is working .... I have a friend who is a firearms instructor and out of a fairly small sample size (20-30 MROs) nearly half didn't make it through a weekend

Trijicon also failed with the SRS

The ACOG and VCOG are wonderful but IMO they haven't been around long enough to be "proven" with their RDS offerings

I love the specs and FOV of the MRO
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm happy yours is working .... I have a friend who is a firearms instructor and out of a fairly small sample size (20-30 MROs) nearly half didn't make it through a weekend

The ACOG and VCOG are wonderful but IMO they haven't been around long enough to be "proven" with their RDS offerings

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Proven? IMO No

All of the cases I've read of the MRO not working, was the result in ppl not not knowing how to put the battery in.They come Pre-installed now... the SRS worked. The early models had and issue with reflection which was fixed quick. I've never had one to say they are bad on a performance assessment.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What was the cause of all of those failures and what did Trijicon say?
View Quote

Ppl were fucking up the battery terminals, when putting the batts in.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a friend who is a firearms instructor and out of a fairly small sample size (20-30 MROs) nearly half didn't make it through a weekend
View Quote

I would be interested in hearing specifics on what the failure was, what Trijicon's response was and what was done to address the problem.  I could only assume that with such a failure rate they were notified.  

Was this a LE class?  if so, is he available to other LE instructors for contact?  
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Proven by whom? I've seen the YouTube videos of the MRO (w/rifle attached) being dropped *optic down* onto hard dirt & gravel several times from chest level w/only cosmetic damage and no loss of zero.
I trust Trijicon and to a degree I trust the torture-test videos I've seen. I also trust my personal experience w/5 MRO's in the 10K-13K range, all have been 100% to date.
The glare/magnification/etc problems reported by others are there if I look for them in controlled conditions but go unnoticed when I'm actually shooting.
If I was being deployed tomorrow I might go w/an Aimpoint, but so far I've seen absolutely nothing to dissuade me from using the MRO on my go-to rifles (YMMV).
Tomac
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[

View Quote

Really?  So your 'friend' has seen a 50% failure rate in a weekend course.  Hmm.. and yet out of the hundreds (thousands?) of people who have these here, I haven't seen a single reported failure.  What do you think would account for such a striking discrepancy?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a PRO and like it.  However on my new KAC SR15 I went with the MRO.  A PRO with the supplied mount is 11.8 ounces.  The MRO with a LaRue mount weighs 5.8 ounces and is overall more compact.  I've had the MRO awhile and would buy it again.  Especially comparing the price to it's actual competitor the Aimpoint T1.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've seen the YouTube videos of the MRO (w/rifle attached) being dropped *optic down* onto hard dirt & gravel several times from chest level w/only cosmetic damage and no loss of zero.
View Quote

I know the video you're talking about -- I just watched it today -- and I was definitely impressed.

Given the price point and specs of the MRO, it seems like the best value out there by far at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Proven by whom?
I've seen the YouTube videos of the MRO (w/rifle attached) being dropped *optic down* onto hard dirt & gravel several times from chest level w/only cosmetic damage and no loss of zero.

I trust Trijicon and to a degree I trust the torture-test videos I've seen. I also trust my personal experience w/5 MRO's in the 10K-13K range, all have been 100% to date.

The glare/magnification/etc problems reported by others are there if I look for them in controlled conditions but go unnoticed when I'm actually shooting.

If I was being deployed tomorrow I might go w/an Aimpoint, but so far I've seen absolutely nothing to dissuade me from using the MRO on my go-to rifles (YMMV).

Tomac
View Quote

+1... I think alot of people's definition of "proven" may be military application.  Being in the military myself I know that units don't exactly just buy sights all the time and buy them just to "prove" them. There's different pots of money for things and money is tight (USAF at least). My base has been using the same old ACOG's and M68's. once it's time to phase them out then they will pick something new.. . This is different for operator though (seals, tac P etc).

There's people on the web doing all types of stuff showing its durability. The sight is pretty damned simplistic in design and durable. so the word "proven" getting used kinda silly to me.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Proven by whom? I've seen the YouTube videos of the MRO (w/rifle attached) being dropped *optic down* onto hard dirt & gravel several times from chest level w/only cosmetic damage and no loss of zero.
Tomac
View Quote

Just to clarify what you're getting at, you would trust the MRO for something like personal defense or LE work but grab the Aimpoint for military use? Curious to know why? Is it simply because the MRO hasn't had a chance to go overseas and do door kicker stuff?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Really?  So your 'friend' has seen a 50% failure rate in a weekend course.  Hmm.. and yet out of the hundreds (thousands?) of people who have these here, I haven't seen a single reported failure.  What do you think would account for such a striking discrepancy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Hah, you think arfcommers shoot.

Thats cute.

Battery terminals, glare, and the nice optical shift.

Sorry, but if a user can mis-install a battery and break it, something is wrong with the optic.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Wasn't over a single weekend .... Since the release (courses are on weekends)

I don't know the details or what exactly happen .... Was just recommended not to purchase one and I'm relaying what I've heard .... He has no dog in the fight so I don't doubt what he says even if maybe he slightly inflated the numbers

My buddy bought 3 and 1 of his just straight up died after a few power cycles and trijicon replaced it

I'm not saying Aimpoints are bullet proof because I've personally had a T1 fail

Out of the sample size of what's out there the MRO has had a higher failure rate or at least more people are posting on forums about it
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I don't know the details or what exactly happen .... Was just recommended not to purchase one and I'm relaying what I've heard .... He has no dog in the fight so I don't doubt what he says even if maybe he slightly inflated the numbers

My buddy bought 3 and 1 of his just straight up died after a few power cycles and trijicon replaced it

I'm not saying Aimpoints are billet proof because I've personally had a T1 fail

Out of the sample size of what's out there the MRO has had a higher failure rate or at least more people are posting on forums about it
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[

I'm not saying Aimpoints are billet proof because I've personally had a T1 fail

The early Aimpoint micro had a issue with the illumination knobs and dying... my H-1 had an issue with the knob. Only worked in high... it's just funny that the Micro didn't get bashed like the MRO has been with similar issues. The Aimpoint micro has had electronic failure the same

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I think the MRO is pulling ahead of the aim point micros. Give it a few months for them to work the kinks out and it will be a first class optic. I like the no caps and brightness being on top. I wonder how it will work with a magnifier?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thats cute.

Sorry, but if a user can mis-install a battery and break it, something is wrong with the optic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Thats cute.

Totally a false statement. If that's true aim point needs to redesign both generations on the m68. Stripped turret and battery caps. Lenses being broke due to being dropped. No one makes a perfect product. Not aimpoint Trijicon or anybody.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Just picked up 3 last week (sighted in 2 today). I can't say for sure what the long term will be, but I'm loving them so far. If they make it all summer without a hiccup, I'll be buying 3 more.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Totally a false statement. If that's true aim point needs to redesign both generations on the m68. Stripped turret and battery caps. Lenses being broke due to being dropped. No one makes a perfect product. Not aimpoint Trijicon or anybody.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[

Thats cute.

+1... every optic, especially red dots are gonna have it quirks... people tend to throw alot of cons at another product, as if what they use is flawless. The MRO has more good than bad going for it IMO. I'll stick with it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Just picked up 3 last week (sighted in 2 today). I can't say for sure what the long term will be, but I'm loving them so far. If they make it all summer without a hiccup, I'll be buying 3 more.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y393/TATBME/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpss0xvtqbn.jpeg
View Quote

Nice spread!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm not saying Aimpoints are bullet proof because I've personally had a T1 fail

View Quote

What 'higher failure rate or at least more people are posting on forums about it' are you talking about?  Did a search on 'MRO failure'.. not seeing much of anything.

As for your report of anything close to a 50% failure rate on a sample of 20-30 MRO's, based on even a casual scan of MRO threads, I find that very hard to believe.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#31]
I hope so, I just ordered one from LaRue.

and it's backordered.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I hope so, I just ordered one from LaRue.

and it's backordered.  
View Quote

Yeah, LaRue is going to corner the market quickly.  His price with either of his mounts is about $500 shipped.

I see people in the EE asking upwards of $485+ for just the optic and upwards of $585+ for the optic with factory mount.  Of course all "mounted but never fired", etc., etc.  Derp.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#33]
It's my understanding the "battery insertion issue" is people tightening the cap down too hard and wrecking the connectors.
I have an MRO on my only "hard use" rifle, which unfortunately is only about 500 rounds a week, but it's already been banged up and dropped more than once. Its in a Larue mount and I freaking love it. Stop worrying about glare. Stop worrying about whether or not it's tough enough. I could take this thing off my rifle, beat a Haj to death with it, re-mount it, and my zero would not shift one freaking inch. The MRO is the best RDO in its price range bar none.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:43:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I would be interested in hearing specifics on what the failure was, what Trijicon's response was and what was done to address the problem.  I could only assume that with such a failure rate they were notified.  

Was this a LE class?  if so, is he available to other LE instructors for contact?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have a friend who is a firearms instructor and out of a fairly small sample size (20-30 MROs) nearly half didn't make it through a weekend

I guess that would be a no.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's my understanding the "battery insertion issue" is people tightening the cap down too hard and wrecking the connectors.
I have an MRO on my only "hard use" rifle, which unfortunately is only about 500 rounds a week, but it's already been banged up and dropped more than once. Its in a Larue mount and I freaking love it. Stop worrying about glare. Stop worrying about whether or not it's tough enough. I could take this thing off my rifle, beat a Haj to death with it, re-mount it, and my zero would not shift one freaking inch. The MRO is the best RDO in its price range bar none.
View Quote

Actually, it's people installing the battery straight down and flattening one or more of the 12 spring connectors. I own 4 MRO's and have fully tightened all the battery caps w/o damage to the connectors.
Tomac
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I've never got a shit product from Trijicon. Even with me not liking the Micro Aimpoints, I'll still would use their products. Between the both, they don't put out BS to the Market. I see it as brand rep, rather than single product rep.

These are two completely different issues.

PROVEN takes many years of reliability in the hands of the military (because they're the hardest on their gear)

not liking something doesn't disprove it, that is just an opinion (case in point the aimpoint micro reference, the T-1 is proven, jarreau may not like it, but it IS a proven sight)
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
PROVEN takes many years of reliability in the hands of the military (because they're the hardest on their gear)
not liking something doesn't disprove it, that is just an opinion (case in point the aimpoint micro reference, the T-1 is proven, jarreau may not like it, but it IS a proven sight)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't disprove it's worth from not liking it. I know it works, I know it's tough. Just wasn't for me... being proven by the military doesn't constitute a proven standard all the time. I can take the sight off and kick it up and down my street for a week and put it through more of a trial than military application. I've been deployed and done Joint force stuff to know our military member aren't beaten up sights constantly.

Units just don't have money to buy sights to prove them. You my not see a mass of MRO for another 10 yrs, if they choose that particular sight to replace. Unless a mass of guys are taking their own personal sights on deployments, You'll see more ACOG'S and M68's more then any other RDS. The last 3 times I've been deployed all I saw ACOG's, M68's and a handful of eotechs...

I understand what the meaning of proven is use for in this thread; but to say it take years of use by the military, to be considered a qualified standard is crazy to me. I can beat a sight up in my garage, just as good.

So the MRO and any sight must be used by the military and must be used consistently for 4-5yrs?

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I didn't disprove it's worth from not liking it. I know it works, I know it's tough. Just wasn't for me... being proven by the military doesn't constitute a proven standard all the time. I can take the sight off and kick it up and down my street for a week and put it through more of a trial than military application. I've been deployed and done Joint force stuff to know our military member aren't beaten up sights constantly.

Units just don't have money to buy sights to prove them. You my not see a mass of MRO for another 10 yrs, if they choose that particular sight to replace. Unless a mass of guys are taking their own personal sights on deployments, You'll see more ACOG'S and M68's more then any other RDS. The last 3 times I've been deployed all I saw ACOG's, M68's and a handful of eotechs...

I understand what the meaning of proven is use for in this thread; but to say it take years of use by the military, to be considered a qualified standard is crazy to me. I can beat a sight up in my garage, just as good.

So the MRO and any sight must be used by the military and must be used consistently for 4-5yrs?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will agree with you on that being proven doesn't necessarily mean mil proven. It can be just proven to be good optics by LE (such as the PRO) long enough to have earned itself a reputation. Aimpoint has garnered this reputation through solid sights that have shown to be tough (I am sure that there plenty of instances where people have had issues but overall experiences are solid). Hell if Aimpoint released a brand new red dot sight today I bet nobody would have qualms with shelling out $600 because of their reputation. Keep in mind Trijicon is paddling upstream with their MRO they have had a couple electronic red dot sight ventures that have not panned out well in the past  (SRS is ridiculously expensive,  IIRC the Tripowers had issues too). I suppose the RMR is one of their more successful pieces but I digress. I think a lot of people just look at the MROs with scrutiny because they have only been out for a short while and until the product is successful for a year or two I don't think they will catch on as to the go to response for "Need HD RDS" threads.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Bought one, and used another belonging to a friend. Both would give me a headache when using it to where I could no longer use it. This was due to the optical shift.

The new owner of the one I bought does not have the same issue. If it weren't for this, it would be a really nice optic, but it was not useable for me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I will agree with you on that being proven doesn't necessarily mean mil proven. It can be just proven to be good optics by LE (such as the PRO) long enough to have earned itself a reputation. Aimpoint has garnered this reputation through solid sights that have shown to be tough (I am sure that there plenty of instances where people have had issues but overall experiences are solid). Hell if Aimpoint released a brand new red dot sight today I bet nobody would have qualms with shelling out $600 because of their reputation. Keep in mind Trijicon is paddling upstream with their MRO they have had a couple electronic red dot sight ventures that have not panned out well in the past  (SRS is ridiculously expensive,  IIRC the Tripowers had issues too). I suppose the RMR is one of their more successful pieces but I digress. I think a lot of people just look at the MROs with scrutiny because they have only been out for a short while and until the product is successful for a year or two I don't think they will catch on as to the go to response for "Need HD RDS" threads.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think as much dick-riding as the ACOG's gets,  I'd figured the mro would have a more positive reception. sight for sight, Trijicon hasn't had a hight success rate, mainly for the experimentation with the Sights. If the SRS was just a pure single power red dot, things probably would have went different for it... besides that, I've never heard/read of Trijicon sights messing up in mass.

All in all, I've seen enough people on youtube beating the sights up, beyond what the military would do. Besides the one vid where a guy shoots the glass, the durability is proven... I'll keep rocking with the MRO.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I think that it's very hard to argue that there is another entity on the planet that can test an optic through more varying application driven riggors than the US armed services.

Sure, you can certainly test an item outside of it's intended use to the point of failure, (THAT DOESN'T PROVE ANYTHING) but rarely will you find a more varied testing group than .mil.

a MRO isn't "crap" because I take it off my rifle and use it to hammer a nail into a 2X4 after which instance it loses zero when re-mounted..
just like a T-1 isn't "proven" just because it will work in -10degree weather without a 0.4 MOA reticle shift.

Day in and day out over the service lifetime of an optic, no other entity on the planet puts it's equipment through more use and abuse in a wider range of environmental and tactical conditions than the equipment used by .MIL

for someone to argue different just illustrates they dont know the difference between testing to failure and testing for use.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I think that it's very hard to argue that there is another entity on the planet that can test an optic through more varying application driven riggors than the US armed services.

Sure, you can certainly test an item outside of it's intended use to the point of failure, (THAT DOESN'T PROVE ANYTHING) but rarely will you find a more varied testing group than .mil.
a MRO isn't "crap" because I take it off my rifle and use it to hammer a nail into a 2X4 after which instance it loses zero when re-mounted..

just like a T-1 isn't "proven" just because it will work in -10degree weather without a 0.4 MOA reticle shift.
Day in and day out over the service lifetime of an optic, no other entity on the planet puts it's equipment through more use and abuse in a wider range of environmental and tactical conditions than the equipment used by .MIL

for someone to argue different just illustrates they dont know the difference between testing to failure and testing for use.
View Quote

I understand the difference. As a consumer we can only really rely on a quick test from someone willing to tear one up, rather than waiting on the military to phase a new optic in to units.

There a small percentage of our forces using anything other than ACOG's, M68's and eotech variants. So to rely entirely on the military to sum up the worth of any new optic in mass use is too much other ask. Shit, look how long it's taking to figure out a new secondary firearm it use. Take time and money to standardize and use new stuff.

Most of us have to rely on the rep of the brand, forums and the good ole youtube.. For those who can deploy with whatever equipment to make an accurate longevity, assessment, please do so and give the forum feedback.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

If you'll look in the big MRO thread, you will find my posts covering my ordeal with the MROs purchased by my agency. Here's the short story:

The SWAT team was needing new optics for their rifles, as the N cell EOTechs they were using were going down regularly.  As the agency armorer, I ordered 27 of them--one for each SWAT rifle,and a couple of spares. When they arrived, I installed 20 of them, leaving 7 in the box.  Hearing about the issues some people were having with installing the batteries incorrectly and inadvertently bending the contacts, I installed each battery and sight myself to avoid the issue.  Most of the guys liked the sight, but many commented on the red tint and magnification (myself included).  

Within three days, two MROs went down.  Officers called me and stated that either the dot simply turned off (i.e yesterday when they put their rifle in their bag it was on, and today it was off), and one guy stated it was much dimmer on day 2, and he turned the dial up all the way, and next day it was gone all together.  Thinking it was battery related, I swapped in new batteries, to no effect.  Then I took the suspect batteries and placed them in known good MROs, and that unit powered up fine.  So it wasn't battery related.  The LED simply stopped working.  Both units were shipped back to Trijicon for replacement.

Over the next two weeks, a total of 10 of the 27 (keep in mind only 20 had been installed on guns--the rest were unopened) failed in the same manner--including two during a SWAT callout with guys in a stick getting ready to go through a door.  That was the final straw, and I sent them all back.

Side note:  Trijicon was very concerned about the issue, and immediately sent out replacements for the two that I sent in right out of the gate. One of those two units, received directly from Trijicon, failed immediately.  I installed the battery, and upon turning it on, the dot immediately started flickering, and tapping it lightly on the table caused the dot to go off and on.  I videoed this, just in case anyone doesn't believe me.

Now I want everyone to know that I am not bashing Trijicon products.  I have plenty of personal Trjicon gear, and I won't hesitate to buy from them in the future.  I believe this was a 'first generation' problem with the sights, and it has probably already been resolved.  But I simply could not wait for that.

I am glad most people aren't having any issues with the sights.  I think it is a fine sight, and truly believe the problems will be, or already have been fixed.  I was never able to find out what caused my issues.  I spoke with Trjicon CS, but CS and the tech geeks who make all the magic work are two different entities, and I could never get in contact with 'the' guy to get an answer.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I understand the difference. As a consumer we can only really rely on a quick test from someone willing to tear one up, rather than waiting on the military to phase a new optic in to units.

There a small percentage of our forces using anything other than ACOG's, M68's and eotech variants. So to rely entirely on the military to sum up the worth of any new optic in mass use is too much other ask. Shit, look how long it's taking to figure out a new secondary firearm it use. Take time and money to standardize and use new stuff.

Most of us have to rely on the rep of the brand, forums and the good ole youtube.. For those who can deploy with whatever equipment to make an accurate longevity, assessment, please do so and give the forum feedback.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

agree completely, that post of mine was to address the "just because the military uses it, doesn't mean it's proven" crowd.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

agree completely, that post of mine was to address the "just because the military uses it, doesn't mean it's proven" crowd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rog... People need to get just the military use thing out of their heads as the sole determination of product quality/worth. Just doesnt work that way...The word proven is used too loosely and too opinionated on what it means.

OP, I think it's best to look through both, mount both then decide. We all know that both sights are durable and both have had issues which has been resolved, for the most part. Get the proof off your own experience product. especially when it comes to optics. Most of us are partial to a particular sight anyways.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If you'll look in the big MRO thread, you will find my posts covering my ordeal with the MROs purchased by my agency. Here's the short story:

The SWAT team was needing new optics for their rifles, as the N cell EOTechs they were using were going down regularly.  As the agency armorer, I ordered 27 of them--one for each SWAT rifle,and a couple of spares. When they arrived, I installed 20 of them, leaving 7 in the box.  Hearing about the issues some people were having with installing the batteries incorrectly and inadvertently bending the contacts, I installed each battery and sight myself to avoid the issue.  Most of the guys liked the sight, but many commented on the red tint and magnification (myself included).  

Within three days, two MROs went down.  Officers called me and stated that either the dot simply turned off (i.e yesterday when they put their rifle in their bag it was on, and today it was off), and one guy stated it was much dimmer on day 2, and he turned the dial up all the way, and next day it was gone all together.  Thinking it was battery related, I swapped in new batteries, to no effect.  Then I took the suspect batteries and placed them in known good MROs, and that unit powered up fine.  So it wasn't battery related.  The LED simply stopped working.  Both units were shipped back to Trijicon for replacement.

Over the next two weeks, a total of 10 of the 27 (keep in mind only 20 had been installed on guns--the rest were unopened) failed in the same manner--including two during a SWAT callout with guys in a stick getting ready to go through a door.  That was the final straw, and I sent them all back.

Side note:  Trijicon was very concerned about the issue, and immediately sent out replacements for the two that I sent in right out of the gate. One of those two units, received directly from Trijicon, failed immediately.  I installed the battery, and upon turning it on, the dot immediately started flickering, and tapping it lightly on the table caused the dot to go off and on.  I videoed this, just in case anyone doesn't believe me.

Now I want everyone to know that I am not bashing Trijicon products.  I have plenty of personal Trjicon gear, and I won't hesitate to buy from them in the future.  I believe this was a 'first generation' problem with the sights, and it has probably already been resolved.  But I simply could not wait for that.

I am glad most people aren't having any issues with the sights.  I think it is a fine sight, and truly believe the problems will be, or already have been fixed.  I was never able to find out what caused my issues.  I spoke with Trjicon CS, but CS and the tech geeks who make all the magic work are two different entities, and I could never get in contact with 'the' guy to get an answer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Now this is the kind of info that is helpful.  First hand and factual, not a bash-fest.  PM sent.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Now this is the kind of info that is helpful.  First hand and factual, not a bash-fest.  PM sent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[

Yes. Its definitely better to read a personal experience then "I heard..."

This is the only occurrences I've read about electronic failure. Has to be early serial numbers. I haven't heard any other issue like this once they changed the glass angle and coating.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#48]
I agree the info I gave was definitely an "I heard" situation but it does closely mimic what the post above is explaining happened with his units

I was just relaying information .... Also maybe the ones that were used in some of his classes were early production units? I don't know

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I agree the info I gave was definitely an "I heard" situation but it does closely mimic what the post above is explaining happened with his units

I was just relaying information .... Also maybe the ones that were used in some of his classes were early production units? I don't know

View Quote

Its all good... I'm sure it was an early batch. Trijicon has been good about fixing problems quick they fixed the glass angle, battery issue and coating fairly quick.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Do you remember approx what serial # they were?
Can you post the vid, please?

Thanks!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top