Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2016 1:08:26 PM EDT
Hi, I'm completely new to the AR platform and recently purchased a Colt LE6920MPS-B.  This AR has a fixed front site post.  I am looking for a good optic to add to it and was really looking into the Aimpoint Pro since it has rave reviews.  However, after talking to my local gunsmith who specializes in AR builds, he has questioned why I want to spend $500.00 an an optic.  A little background about myself will shed light at that question.  I am the type of person that would rather cough up the money for a quality item rather than spending 1/2 the cost on something cheap that I will eventually have to replace anyway.  I would really hate to put a crappy cheap optic on a decent quality AR such as the Colt.  That being said, my local gunsmith has suggested the Primary Arms 5.56 Micro CQB optic with the standard mount that comes with it.  He's saying it will be about 1/2 the cost of the Aimpoint Pro setup.  I went to Primary Arms website but didnt see the exact model he is suggesting, however, he did mention it was supposed to be released later this month.  The gunsmith also said a local County law enforcement agency had him build AR's for them and used optics made by Primary Arms and were quite pleased.  One thing that I noticed upon doing research on Primary Arms is that the optics are made in China which I really don't like.  However, that may also be true for Aimpoint (I haven't researched where Aimpoint Pros are made).  So my question is should I save up for the Aimpoint Pro and spend the money or should I settle for something cheaper like the Primary Arms Micro CQB?  Furthermore, my gunsmith is also suggestin an absolute cowitness setup vs a lower third cowitness setup.  I've read advantages/disadvantages for both and I originally decided to go with lower third but he's also trying to talk me into absolute.  Any suggestions on this subject will be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi and welcome. Jumping right in.

I prefer absolute cowitness on fixed sight rifles. It's a very personal preference that you need to make on your own. It's sounds paultry but I don't like my optics on stilts. I like to tuck in at iron sight position for consistency.

The pa acog style is most likely the older "koala" version. Decent for the money but it sounds like you've already made up your mind. The older version was discontinued in favor of a less cluttered reticle.

You will not be disappointed with an aimpoint product. Might check out the trijicon mro if you haven't already.

Personal preference time: I tried many different reticles across optics and even with a slight astigmatism found that a clear precise dot performed better in the real world. The qcb and bullet drop tactical ultra ninja reticles are awesome when you're playin in your living room. But get out and shoot anything past 50 yards and I think you'll find they are more of a hinderance than an asset. Vortex pst, Burris 332, eotech, and a few others. I reverted back to a plain old boring dot and my groups and speed thanked me for it.

Regardless of what you choose gratzs on your rifle. And for what it's worth, I'm using irons these days and loving it. "If you can't shoot with iron sights.....you can't shoot"

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned and used numerous AR optics over the years. If you want a budget optic for a range toy, then Primary Arms is gtg. However, if this is for possible serious use (home defense, for example) then save up for the Pro (or the Trijicon MRO if you want something smaller/lighter in the same price range as the Pro).
Regarding cowitness height, pick whichever height fits *you* best, not what your local 'smith thinks you need. Personally, I prefer a 1/3 for a more heads-up cheekweld but YMMV.
Tomac
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I went through a similar situation.  I had and EOTech 512 set up for absolute cowitness and loved it.  The EOTech was sent back and my AR now wears an Aimpoint Pro.  The QRP2 mount that comes with the PRO is somewhere in between absolute and lower 1/3rd so I tried a mount that would give the the absolute cowitness that I was used to.  I tried it and decided the field of view was too cluttered even shooting with both eyes open.  I tried the QRP2 mount again and decided to stick with it.  I realized that the huge window of the EOTech made the field of view less cluttered at absolute cowitness height when compared to the 30mm tube of the Aimpoint.  I've never tried a lower 1/3 cowitness mount but I see now that it should increase field of view even more.  Just something to consider.  I do like the PRO.

Additionally, I have tried a variable power scope and a red dot magnifier with my rifle.  While these options were really good for distance shooting, I thought both of them made the rifle too heavy and cumbersome.  I'm not going to be using my rifle for distance shooting 90% of the time so I just decided to stick with a dot. I may build a rifle to stick a scope on someday though.

Nice rifle and good luck with your setup!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Your optics setup is for you not your gunsmith. Don't worry about what he says. Primary Arms themselves say to go with an Aimpoint or Eotech if it's a gun you'll be using for law enforcement or other potentially life saving purposes. The Primary Arms Micro Dot, Advanced Dot series have been shown to stand up to abuse but some people have also had some issues with theirs. I would go with the Aimpoint PRO, they're much more proven. Aimpoints are made in Sweden by the way. In case you're willing to try it out go on the equipment exchange here ( click orange button upper right hand corner of screen), you can usually find gently used PROs for about 350ish. As someone else mentioned cowitness is something you will have to figure out what works for yourself, personally i prefer the "in between" cowitness that the Aimpoint QRP2 mount gives.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#5]
So this rifle will be used for fun at the range but I also want something for if/when the $hit hits the fan (self defense purposes).  One of the main reasons I bought this AR is because of the direction I feel the country is headed.  I own a 9mm pistol for my main home defense weapon but wanted an AR for a more serious situation.  From the responses I've received so far, I'm thinking I'll just go with the Aimpoint or a Trijicon MRO.  I'd really like to see a photo of the Aimpoint Pro reticle with the stock mount.  From your comments and what I've researched online, it is indeed BETWEEN absolute and lower-third.  Perhaps that would make a good middle ground.  My main concern with absolute is clutter as one person suggested.  My goal is a setup that provides the fastest target acquisition for distances up to 50 yards.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I find absolute is the fastest way for me to get on target. Yes it may be a bit more cluttered, but with a red dot your focus is on the target, and fastest for me is the target, front sight, and red dot all converging at one point, easy to train too. Honestly there is no wrong answer, an aimpoint pro or MRO are quick to acquire and with even a little practice you'll be able to to get that dot pointed where you want no matter what the cowitness. Don't over think it and just get a quality piece and do some dry reps and you'll be golden.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top