Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2016 8:46:06 AM EDT
Hey everyone! I was at my local gun show yesterday and I'm just looking for a rear backup flip sight. After looking around the show, I came across the UTG MNT-955 rear flip up sight. I Like how low profile it is and how it looks and appears to work. Wondering if anyone has any history or info on this sight?

The biggest thing I would like to know is if this will work with my fixed standard front sight?

Here is the sight. Thanks for any help. Appreciate it.
http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&level1=Model_4,_Model_15&level2=Iron_Sight&itemno=MNT-955&status=
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this airsoft stuff or their jump into the US made stuff?

I have their free float tubes on all my AR's and they were low cost and just as good as an MI tube.

Interested in others on the flip sights.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this airsoft stuff or their jump into the US made stuff?
View Quote

There's no mention of it being US Made on the website.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I avoid anything leapers/utg/ncstar.  All of it is China made junk.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually they are doing some US based made stuff. Granted the Chinese crap is just that, crap.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

yeah, actually no.

Their Pro line is made in the US and is actually pretty damn nice quality.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually! These are made in Livonia Michigan, just down the road from me. And these are not air soft sights. I was just at my local gunshot and there are a lot of builders at the show using these sights on their AR's.

I just liked the way they looked and how low profile they were. Below is the description of them from their web sight.

Detail Information:

• UTG New Gen Super Slim Flip-up Rear Sight for the AR Platform and Other Long Gun Applications Equipped with Picatinny Rail
• Precision Machined from Aircraft Grade Aluminum with Matte Black Hard Coat Anodize
• Spring Loaded Posi-Lock Design with Side Plunger Release for Positive Flipping/Folding; Compress Plunger to Unlock and Fold Down When Not in Use
• Robust Posi-lock Plunger Coupled with Spring Activated Ball Bearing Guarantees Zero Retention
• Complete with Dual Aiming Apertures Ideal for Moving Target Engagements and Limited Visibility or Normal Firing Situations
• Low Profile 3mm Locking Bolt and Mounting Deck Securely Attaches to any Picatinny Rail
• Designed to Match MNT-755 New Gen Super Slim Flip-up Front Sight on Same Level Plane Applications
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

yeah, actually no.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, actually no.

I thought they looked like pretty nice quality stuff too!
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, actually no.

I'd still pay a bit more and get the proven and virtually indestructable Magpul polymer MBUS.  I've seen the rear for $40 recently.   If slim is the objective, then get the steel, nitride treated MBUS Pro.  The finish is so hard it dulls out tool steel and almost impossible to scratch or mar.  It is comparable to the much more expensive KAC.

What I like about Magpul flip ups (both styles) and KAC is that they will deflect back down flat when struck, which speaks volumes for them remaining in service and retaining zero when subjected to a fall.  Actually after being beaten mercifully to try to induce failure.  That deflection capability is one of the reasons they perform so well in torture and durability tests.  With respect, the design of the UTG, which locks when deployed, is like those that do poorly in such tests, even Troy and Diamondhead.  The UTG aperture is poorly protected and is unlikely to hold zero after taking much of a lick.  Those thin aluminum ears will probably break if hit.

Why take a chance on thin aluminum from an unproven sight, when rugged reliable proven choices cost very little more.  If you have to rely on your backup sight, your primaty has failed and you are in situational trouble.  The last thing you want to be thinking about  at that desparate moment is whether the rifle will shoot where you aim.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Great points MS556. One of the big reasons I am interested in this sight is because it is a local company and I like to try and support the local companies as much as possible. That is the  main reason I was wanting to see if there was anyone with some personal info on this particular sight.

Again all great points and I appreciate it. Was and will definitely look into the MagPul sights.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Also MS556.. or anyone else, will the MagPul rear sight work with my Fixed stock front Iron Sight?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also MS556.. or anyone else, will the MagPul rear sight work with my Fixed stock front Iron Sight?
View Quote

Yes. The MBUS work well with the standard front sight base.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. Thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Update: So I decided to go ahead and get the UTG MNT-955 flip up rear sight. It fits perfect, and seems to be very well made and lines up great with my fixed front sight. I love the low profile of this sight as it takes  up minimul space. So far so good.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Actually! These are made in Livonia Michigan, just down the road from me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know these are made in Michigan? I know you said they're made down the road from you...
I was looking at these a little bit ago. On UTG's page they seem to place all of their USA made products in the "Made in the USA" section. These aren't in there. Which made me think they were made...elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How do you know these are made in Michigan? I know you said they're made down the road from you...
I was looking at these a little bit ago. On UTG's page they seem to place all of their USA made products in the "Made in the USA" section. These aren't in there. Which made me think they were made...elsewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, Called Leapers direct which is the company that manufactures the UTG sights, and the person on the other end of the line told me when I asked if they were made in the US that they were. So I don't have anything else to go on other than what he told me.

Side note, I sighted them in today and I really like the UTG Rear flip up sight. Worked perfect with my Fixed Front sight and it is very well made. I like it better than the MBUS for the fact that it isn't as bulky and has a slimmer and lower profile. This was exactly what I was looking for in my rear sight.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well, Called Leapers direct which is the company that manufactures the UTG sights, and the person on the other end of the line told me when I asked if they were made in the US that they were. So I don't have anything else to go on other than what he told me.

Side note, I sighted them in today and I really like the UTG Rear flip up sight. Worked perfect with my Fixed Front sight and it is very well made. I like it better than the MBUS for the fact that it isn't as bulky and has a slimmer and lower profile. This was exactly what I was looking for in my rear sight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha. I might consider getting a pair to try out now.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a fixed front, so I only ordered the Rear UTG flip up, but I really do like it. I don't see it being an issue with quality going forward. Very well made in my opinion and worked perfectly with my Fixed Front.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top