Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2015 10:30:24 PM EDT
I'm going to get one of the Primary Arms Advanced micros for a carbine I am putting together and I was wondering whether I should get the absolute cowitness mount or the lower 1/3. The rifle will have Magpul MBUS for backup irons.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems like it will bother you at first, but absolute is fine. Even with a laser or fixed sights, it doesn't block much of what you need to see, and it keeps your face closer in the stock for a better cheek position.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It seems like it will bother you at first, but absolute is fine. Even with a laser or fixed sights, it doesn't block much of what you need to see, and it keeps your face closer in the stock for a better cheek position.
View Quote

Could I just fold the rear or both sights down? Is it really necessary to cowitness?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
this is one of those personal preference issues people get really worked up about. I prefer lower 1/3rd but I have one rifle with an absolute mount and guess what - I can shoot it just fine.

Shoot both to see which you like better and buy those.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
If both front and rear BUIS are flip-down, I say go with absolute co-witness on your optic. That way your cheek weld is the same no matter what. If your RDS goes down,  flip the BUIS up and drive on.

Lower 1/3 was designed to work in conjunction with a fixed front sight. It requires repositioning of your cheek weld depending on the sighting system being used.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Could I just fold the rear or both sights down? Is it really necessary to cowitness?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need a riser of some sort or your dot will be lower than the plane of your eye when you have your cheek to the stock.  AR stocks are designed to line your eye up with your sights when extended.  Get an absolute riser or 1/3, but none will not work.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I like lower 1/3 for red dots.   Makes mounting the gun quicker and more forgiving of less than perfect cheek weld.  Less fatiguing in general.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You need a riser of some sort or your dot will be lower than the plane of your eye when you have your cheek to the stock.  AR stocks are designed to line your eye up with your sights when extended.  Get an absolute riser or 1/3, but none will not work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not what I mean. I was asking whether it was necesarry to have your irons up while using a red dot?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's not what I mean. I was asking whether it was necesarry to have your irons up while using a red dot?
View Quote

No. the red dot is a sight, the irons are sights. You only need one, not both.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:41:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.  By default I use the dot with backups folded.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:20:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I went with lower 1/3rd because the extra room might allow easier usage of RDS with NVG in emergent situations.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer absolute with with a fold down rear sight. In an extreme situation  you can use the tube as ghost ring with the front sight at a decent distance and still get center mass hits. Either due to wasout, battery dying, whatever.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top