Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2015 3:33:07 AM EDT
I'm changing my setup a bit... I decided to sell my Primary Arms 1-6x scope to get one of their RDS.  For how I use my AR, I think an RDS would serve me better.  In looking at the options for mounts, that got me thinking... absolute cowitness or 1/3 cowitness.  So my question to you guys is - which one do you prefer and why?  Are there advantages/disadvantages to either or is it just personal preference?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:39:49 AM EDT
[#1]
It is absolutely a personal preference thing.  

An important factor is the style of BUIS you are cowitnessing to.  If you are using fixed irons then most people prefer a lower 1/3 because it means you are looking over the top of the irons so there's less to get in your way.  If you are using flip-up sights that are normally in the down position or if you are just not going to have iron sights then it doesn't matter at all.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm changing my setup a bit... I decided to sell my Primary Arms 1-6x scope to get one of their RDS.  For how I use my AR, I think an RDS would serve me better.  In looking at the options for mounts, that got me thinking... absolute cowitness or 1/3 cowitness.  So my question to you guys is - which one do you prefer and why?  Are there advantages/disadvantages to either or is it just personal preference?
View Quote

preference, I like the eotech 512 why
1. mount included on optic so no 100-150 dollar miunt
absolute co witness allows standard cheekweld
once eotech is zeroed just move the orons until the dot rest on top of the front sight & bingo all is zeroed.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

once eotech is zeroed just move the orons until the dot rest on top of the front sight & bingo all is zeroed.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, this is what I did.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no correct answer.  It is a matter of personal preference.  If the front sight is fixed A2 style, a lower 1/3 cowitness avoids blocking the lower part of your field of view as much.  With a folded front sight, I prefer absolute cowitness, so my cheekweld remains the same as when shooting irons.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer lower 1/3 co-witness.  Funny this question should come up.  The other night I was browsing YouTube videos and came across this kid.  I think he sums it up pretty well.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:34:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the help guys.  I currently have fold down iron sights, so I guess it comes down to preference... I'll probably end up purchasing the RDS first and see how I like it.  If need be, I could always get a riser.  Now I just have to worry about selling my PA Scope...
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the help guys.  I currently have fold down iron sights, so I guess it comes down to preference... I'll probably end up purchasing the RDS first and see how I like it.  If need be, I could always get a riser.  Now I just have to worry about selling my PA Scope...
View Quote

I believe if I read correctly the Daniel Defense T1 style mount has spacers for both cowitness.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You will need a riser anyway.  Without one, it will be too low for cheek weld with an AR15 stock.  You will be scrunching down and it may be blocked by even a folded front sight.  Depending on what red dot you get, there are cheap risers on the Primary Arms web site for both absolute and lower 1/3 cowitness.  You will need one or the other if your red dot does not have one built in.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You will need a riser anyway.  Without one, it will be too low for cheek weld with an AR15 stock.  You will be scrunching down and it may be blocked by even a folded front sight.  Depending on what red dot you get, there are cheap risers on the Primary Arms web site for both absolute and lower 1/3 cowitness.  You will need one or the other if your red dot does not have one built in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.  Thanks for pointing that out!  Guess I have to really make up my mind...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top