BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/21/2015 2:30:07 PM EDT
Are there any after action reports? A general consensus?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Seeing as how they're stand issue for the Marines and have been so for about 10yrs, I'd say they have an extremely good combat record regarding performance.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Seeing the abuse they take and still keep working I would say that they are GTG.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes ACOG & Aimpoints have pretty well been "shook out"....
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Significantly improved hit rates, with numerous recorded (although somewhat rare) hits on men at 700-800 meter range.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I am interested in purchasing an ACOG but having trouble deciding whether to buy the TA01 (tritium-illuminated reticle) or the TA31-CH (comes with tritium and fiber optic).
My question is: besides having the fiber optic for the when the tritium depletes in a decade, what is the purpose of having the fiber optic in addition to the tritium? Does the fiber optic do something special that I'm not aware of?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#6]
The Fiber Optic makes the reticle MUCH easier to see in sunlight than the black crosshairs of the TA01...the black crosshairs can be a bit hard to see if you're looking into a dark area with lots of black in it (not so much if it's a sand dune).  
Also, the FO ones evidently work well shooting with the Bindon Aiming Method for SOME people (not me).  
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Try the Ta -02. Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Definitely get a fiber optic one.  

I've used all the reticles and I like the horse shoe dot best, followed by the chevron.

The crosshair ones are too busy with the 200M hash.  They could have done without the 100M mark and made it a 200M zero and started from there.  

I really think the horse shoe dot is the most versatile and easy to use.  Zero it at the 300M point and confirm at other distances and it will be very close with most any load.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I like 'em. Been using them for 5 years, both the TA31 RCO and the TA11 SDO on M16s, M4s, M27s and Mk153s. Awesome, rugged optics, they just work. Although, they not perfect.

Eye relief on the 31 series is terrible. On the 11 it's better, but you also give up FOV and have increased weight and bulk. It is NOT a precision optic, so don't expect tiny groups from it. It's a COMBAT optic. The Bindon Aiming Concept doesn't work for some people, but with enough time behind it you can mostly make it work.

The fiber optic cable works well, and sometimes too well. If it's very bright out, your reticle will bloom and be very bright as well. Simple fix, a small strip of duck tape or electrical tape on the fiber optic cable will solve that.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've used all the reticles and I like the horse shoe dot best, followed by the chevron.

The crosshair ones are too busy with the 200M hash.  They could have done without the 100M mark and made it a 200M zero and started from there.  

I really think the horse shoe dot is the most versatile and easy to use.  Zero it at the 300M point and confirm at other distances and it will be very close with most any load.
View Quote

What he said.

To add, the fiber optic works so well the tritium isn't a big deal to me.
More than likely I'd have a light on my gun in the dark.
The fiber optics is the best. A small section of a bicycle tube over the FO allows you to reduce it and offers a little added protection from handling wear.

I have a 31 RCO A4 and a 11 green horseshoe.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
TA11H is the best compromise IMO with field of view and ER.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm partial to the TA33. Use it like a red dot, not a target scope and its really fast.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't get the eye relief hate for the ta31.  Yeah, you mount it further back. Big deal.  The eye "box" is good, u just run it NTCH.  Still super easy to use, FOV is huge, it's compact and works great.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm partial to the TA33. Use it like a red dot, not a target scope and its really fast.
View Quote

Yep, exactly.

Green horseshoe here.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Which would be more preferable? an aimpoint/ eotech with magnifer or acog with rmr?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Which model does the military actually use, or do they use various models?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Which would be more preferable? an aimpoint/ eotech with magnifer or acog with rmr?
View Quote

I have the aforementioned TA33 on an SBR.  I'll always go ACOG of it's an option on an AR.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm still running a TA01 from 1996.

Still glowing.

YMMV

ETA:  Run a TA02 as well and it's a good option.  

I really like using the TA31-RCO-M150CP with the green reticle.

The TA31RCO-M4 are good as well as the TA31-CH.

My favorite is the TA31H in green.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Various models.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm still running a TA01 from 1996.

Still glowing.

YMMV

ETA:  Run a TA02 as well and it's a good option.  
I really like using the TA31-RCO-M150CP with the green reticle.
The TA31RCO-M4 are good as well as the TA31-CH.
My favorite is the TA31H in green.

View Quote

I've never used a TA02, but I also started out on a TA01NSN and they're good little optics.  

We have same exact taste in TA31s.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Current issue for the Army is the M150 (TA31RCO-M150CP) and current issue for the Marines is the RCO (TA31RCO-M4CP or TA31RCO-A4CP). SOPMOD issue was the TA01NSN and the Army used to issue a lot of TA31Fs and others.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would much rather have an Aimpoint + magnifier than an ACOG with a piggy backed RMR. Now, an ACOG with an offset red dot wouldn't be bad.

Anyway, I don't think a red dot is really needed with an ACOG. I used a TA31F in Iraq and never thought I was handicapped with it. If the target is so close you can't look through the sight, you can just point shoot.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Current issue for the Army is the M150 (TA31RCO-M150CP) and current issue for the Marines is the RCO (TA31RCO-M4CP or TA31RCO-A4CP). SOPMOD issue was the TA01NSN and the Army used to issue a lot of TA31Fs and others.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TA11SDOs for SAWs and IAR and a Machinegun Day Optic for M240s
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I read an article a few years back about the military investigating a large number of headshots in theater on enemy combatants and suspicion of them being execution shots on prisoners. The article was posted on here somewhere.
The findings showed the ACOG had pronounced impact on headshot probability in urban environments and they allowed our guys to shoot bad guys in the head with startling regularity.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I read an article a few years back about the military investigating a large number of headshots in theater on enemy combatants and suspicion of them being execution shots on prisoners. The article was posted on here somewhere.
The findings showed the ACOG had pronounced impact on headshot probability in urban environments and they allowed our guys to shoot bad guys in the head with startling regularity.
View Quote

I remember reading that too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wasn't that Haditha?  I never fully understood that whole situation.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

During Fallujah 1, there were complaints by the Arab press of I MEF Marines executing Iraqis because the high number of head shots.  But much of it had to do with the head is normally what you see in an urban environment so that is what gets shot
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Are the 4x32 TA31 ACOG's any good for CQB?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Almost no one using them does CQB
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.  Of you're good at the BAC, then they're ok, but the BAC is difficult at best for most.  

I thought I was good at it a few years ago but I can't do it at all now.  

A TA31 is one of my favorite optics.   We're actually transitioning from LPVs back to ACOGs on the ranch carbines.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:27:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I have used a TA31 type in combat during 15 months of combat time. It is very durable... especially banging around in trucks.

It has proven to be a great recon tool (scope out IEDs because we didn't have binos) and greatly improved hit rates (of actual bad guys and qualification).
I have not had issues with in CQB... mostly because I tend to do more point shooting.

I normally shoot expert with an ACOG and sharpshooter with irons.

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:04:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
if you want red dot go for it. If you want magnification skip the flip over magnifier. too much weight and moving parts IMO.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#33]
"The ACOG mounted on the M16 service rifle has proven to be the biggest improvement in lethality for the Marine infantryman since the introduction of the M1 Garand in WWII."
--Major General J.N. Mattis
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Are there any after action reports? A general consensus?
View Quote

They're the shit. I don't have $1300 to buy one :(
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Not really.  Of you're good at the BAC, then they're ok, but the BAC is difficult at best for most.  

A TA31 is one of my favorite optics.   We're actually transitioning from LPVs back to ACOGs on the ranch carbines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes really, CQB is a specific battle doctrine and when most people refer to it they use the term incorrect instead they are talking about close shooting or short range marksmanship and not CQB.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes really, CQB is a specific battle doctrine and when most people refer to it they use the term incorrect instead they are talking about close shooting or short range marksmanship and not CQB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant not really ad in ACOGs are not really good for CQB.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Are the USMC ACOG's using the donut reticle now?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Are the USMC ACOG's using the donut reticle now?
View Quote

SDOs and MGO use them
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#39]
is there a large weight difference between 4x32 ACOG and mount vs. Aimpoint M4S and Magnifier with mounts?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
is there a large weight difference between 4x32 ACOG and mount vs. Aimpoint M4S and Magnifier with mounts?
View Quote

Yes.   An M4s is only about two ounces lighter than an TA31.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I used the ACOG RCO on my M4, the SDO on my 249 and MDO for a while when I carried the 240 and they are outstanding. The important thing is to actually know how to use it. The ACOG and its variants are not "red dots". Sight it in like a rifle scope and memorize the uses of the parts of the chevron (if that's the reticle you chose). If you buy it because it looks cool and you like red dots but are too lazy to use it properly and become proficient in it for the situation you intend to use it - it will be a waste of money.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you think is the better general issue optics? M68CCO or the M150?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have to agree on green horseshoe; it is my favorite of all the ACOG's, and I have all three recticles.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
if you want red dot go for it. If you want magnification skip the flip over magnifier. too much weight and moving parts IMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can agree with the second bit but IMO it weighs the same as a LPV.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

It just depends on what and where most everybody doing.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

The mission drives the gear, but I would say 50/50 mix would be good for general use. If I had to choose one only for myself I would go ACOG. This is because my eyesight sucks (partially color blind and astigmatism) and I would rather have an advantage at distance.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I like 'em. Been using them for 5 years, both the TA31 RCO and the TA11 SDO on M16s, M4s, M27s and Mk153s. Awesome, rugged optics, they just work. Although, they not perfect.

Eye relief on the 31 series is terrible. On the 11 it's better, but you also give up FOV and have increased weight and bulk. It is NOT a precision optic, so don't expect tiny groups from it. It's a COMBAT optic. The Bindon Aiming Concept doesn't work for some people, but with enough time behind it you can mostly make it work.

The fiber optic cable works well, and sometimes too well. If it's very bright out, your reticle will bloom and be very bright as well. Simple fix, a small strip of duck tape or electrical tape on the fiber optic cable will solve that.

View Quote
this.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I really loved my ACOG in Afghanistan but found I still wanted more magnification than just 4x. I'm going with a variable power Leupold in a LaRue mount. That being said you really can't go wrong as a general issue sight. The damn things work. Period.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Try the Ta -02. Best of both worlds.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:19:36 AM EDT
[#50]
After looking through various optics, including Mark 4 Leupolds at range (10x), I am fairly convinced the ACOGs are the optimal optic for the AR platform and even for other rifles.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top