Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2015 6:00:25 PM EDT
I was browsing Primary Arms today and noticed they had a couple of fixed magnification scopes.  I was thinking the 6X would like pretty cool on my PTR91

Any thoughts?
the 3x

and the 6X

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd rather spend the money on the Primary Arms brand.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree.  Sightmark does not enjoy a very good reputation here.  My personal experience with the brand was complete failure, a "Sure Shot" red dot. I won't go into detail unless you need to know.  It had multiple problems, all serious.  One word: junk.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:56:37 AM EDT
[#3]
nvm, made in china
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate when people bash optics.  The person complaining about his Sure Shot reflex sight costs $45 online.  So you are going to say because it did not hold up over time that you will write off the company.  I have had an Eotech 552 crap out on me, and that is more of a big deal than a $45 optic crapping out. But I did not get pissed at Eotech. Or say that I will no longer buy anything from them.  The best optic I own for the cost happens to be a Sightmark Wolverine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agree.  Sightmark does not enjoy a very good reputation here.  My personal experience with the brand was complete failure, a "Sure Shot" red dot. I won't go into detail unless you need to know.  It had multiple problems, all serious.  One word: junk.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So because you bought this:  http://sightmark.com/sm13003b.html  ,   that means this:  http://sightmark.com/sm13026.html   is not a good optic?  I have both units in store. One comes in clam shell and is for .223 and .22 plinkers. The other is an extremely well made prismatic sight thats a completely different design. I wouldnt judge one off the other. Just like I wouldnt compare the Vortex 1-4X Diamondback to the Vortex 1-6X Razor HD.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#8]
When they first came out I said I'll wait a year to read some better reviews and let the price die down. Still no thorough info on these and I've been through enough prism scopes to take a gamble on a sight mark at $400. I know they are cheaper now, but I buy components with the idea that I can resale it if it does not suit me. I don't ever see myself getting close to a recoup with a sight mark, therefore.....pass

I can admit the 3x looked cool to me when I first saw it. But no thanks
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
My daughter got a Sure Shot for her 9th birthday and sent it in for a minor issue and Sightmark hooked it up for her with a new one and some sweet swag that I decided to keep.  Dad>Daughter
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#10]
These are $400 on optics planet. PA sells their 5x for 289.99 add a discounted ADM mount for $60 and pay about the same with shipping.

Pros: PA is better brand than Sight mark with more resale value, get a QD RTZ mount, has better ranging in reticle.

Cons: PA is not an ACOG?
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hate when people bash optics.  The person complaining about his Sure Shot reflex sight costs $45 online.  So you are going to say because it did not hold up over time that you will write off the company.  I have had an Eotech 552 crap out on me, and that is more of a big deal than a $45 optic crapping out. But I did not get pissed at Eotech. Or say that I will no longer buy anything from them.  The best optic I own for the cost happens to be a Sightmark Wolverine.
View Quote

Over time?  It did not hold up at all.  Period.  Day one.  And this was several years ago when the product was introduced and prices were higher.  That was enough for me.  You asked, so here it is:  Four reticles shot to four different points. Almost impossible to zero.  Batteries crapped out quickly.  Not daylight bright.  Flimsy mounting and poor quality screws, and perhaps most important:  Wandering zero.  Would not stay zeroed on a .22LR.

While a sample of one, that was enough.  Once bitten, twice shy.  It is the only optic I have owned that ever failed in use and the only one in which the failure was so profound and multifactorial that there was no use in sending it back and getting another.   And, even a casual pursual of the boards, both here and elsewhere will confirm that I am not alone and that the quality issues are not limited to the "Sure Shot.", then or now.  Someone else can be the guinea pig.  I only report my experience.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
These are $400 on optics planet. PA sells their 5x for 289.99 add a discounted ADM mount for $60 and pay about the same with shipping.

Pros: PA is better brand than Sight mark with more resale value, get a QD RTZ mount, has better ranging in reticle.

View Quote

The 6X Wolfhound is now $299.97 buddy. The old price was $399, hence why you see that online. The change just happened about a week ago, so i'm sure most websites havent updated pricing. Happens all the time with rifles as well. Price reductions seem to hit around summertime and stores make the changes pretty quickly, but websites seem to lag behind. if you prefer PA over Sightmark, have at it. But is resale value really a concern in optics? I treat my optics like my guns.....aka, once purchased, never sold. Actually.....look at Primary Arms: http://www.primaryarms.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=sightmark. He's got the 6X at $299.97. He must think Sightmark is ok because he sells it. lol
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#13]
That $50 sure shot sight you are talking about is carried by about 10 other manufacturers. Off the top of my head: Bushnell, Barska, Browning, NC Star, Aim Sports, Sun Optics, and Firefield.  I've carried them all at one point or another (depending on demand, and who all had stock), and I got less returns on the Sightmark than I did on the Barska and Browning versions. The NC Star and Sun Optics versions were just garbage. I was getting them back at like a 25% clip. And the Bushnell custom at $99.99 is just asinine. So how you'd judge an optics company off a sight that comes in clam shell packaging is crazy to me. lol.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The 6X Wolfhound is now $299.97 buddy. The old price was $399, hence why you see that online. The change just happened about a week ago, so i'm sure most websites havent updated pricing. Happens all the time with rifles as well. Price reductions seem to hit around summertime and stores make the changes pretty quickly, but websites seem to lag behind. if you prefer PA over Sightmark, have at it. But is resale value really a concern in optics? I treat my optics like my guns.....aka, once purchased, never sold. Actually.....look at Primary Arms: http://www.primaryarms.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=sightmark. He's got the 6X at $299.97. He must think Sightmark is ok because he sells it. lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PA also sells ncstar I'd never buy their BS products.  If you like it go for it but at the same price virtually and only losing 1x with the PA and having a lighter scope and  a name I trust with the tried and true ACSS prism scopes that have been torture tested, I'll go with the PA. I also don't like sightmark i too tried one of their holographic red dot wannabes and threw it in the trash promptly reticle glared too much. I wouldn't give that company a chance on a $300 scope. Just my opinion based upon my experience.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#15]
"I also don't like sightmark i too tried one of their holographic red dot wannabes and threw it in the trash promptly reticle glared too much."

The reticle glared too much? I'd recommend first turning down the brightness. I get EO Techs back from time-to-time because customers say "the reticle is too fuzzy". Well i dont consider it a reticle problem, I consider it a problem with the customer not understanding a holographic sight. I cant speak on PA because i'm a dealer. I dont buy it cause they're also a competitor. Sightmark has never once refused a warranty from a customer of mine in 5 years. So you have your opinion on 1 experience, I have mine on a dozen experiences. take it for what its worth.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:06:57 AM EDT
[#16]
i just sprung for one, 6X Wolfhound.   i also have the Primary Arms 5X prism scope.  the Sightmark reticle center dot is smaller than the PA 5X (0.5MOA vs 1.0MOA), which i prefer.  note:  i'm not displeased with the PA 5X at all, sofar it's simple and dependable.  the bigger reticle center dot works fine for aiming at silhouettes at range, but for trying to aim at a 1" black dot at 100yds, it covers the dot.

The Sightmark 6X comes with a kill-flash which threads on the front.  i was able to use a Vortex Bushwacker #6 flip-up lens cover on the objective, and a Vortex Bushwacker #4 on the eye piece, instead of the supplied bikini lens cover, since i had those on-hand.  will be trying out Butler Creek flip-ups also to see what actually works, fits, stays put, stays shut when supposed to.  i like to use the BC Blizzard (clear) on the eye piece whenever it works, but the fit is hit-and-miss.

haven't taken the Sightmark to the range yet to sight it in, will post my observations (if any) after it do.  i did sight it in the length of the hallway of my house into the garage, the picture is clear, no complaints.  audible click-stops on the windage, elevation adjustments, i use a nickel for the slots.  1/4" MOA per click.

the rail attachment is about 2-9/16" in length, and i'm going to try to mount it on a picatinny QD adapter as soon as i can find one of the right size, that doesn't raise it too much nor use too much rail real-estate.  as others have commented, wished the Sightmark Wolfhound had the ACOG foot so that i could take advantage of the many ACOG QD mounts readily available.

the Sightmark is bulkier, and slight longer than the PA 5X, but the clamp-on mount is pretty low-profile, so as-is, it doesn't make the AR package any taller.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#17]
That thing weighs a whopping 22 ounces according to published data.

A Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20mm with MRAD turrets and Firedot SPR reticle weighs 9.6 ounces.  Put it in an AP mount at about 3.1 ounces and the whole package is only 12.7 ounces, barely more than half the weight.  Heck, the much higher powered 3-9x40 Mark AR with Firedot TMR reticle with AP mount is only about 15.5 ounces.  

Why so darned heavy?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#18]
my PA 5X with AD QD base + flip-ups weighs 19.2oz.  i had a conventional scope on my AR, but since it's a 14.5" barrel (pinned FH), i wanted a scope that's more compact, and don't have the coin for a $2K ACOG.  the "normal" scopes i have are 12-13" in length.  kinda looks ridiculous having such a long scope on such a short gun, although it does work.

just want to see if the extra 4oz is worth the increase from 5X to 6X.  otherwise i might have to try a 1-6X x24mm scope at some future date.

i guess it's a characteristic of prism scopes.  e.g. Trijicon ACOG 6X48 weighs 36oz.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#19]
The Trijicon ACOG 6x48 weighs 37oz so whats your point.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:54:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Trijicon ACOG 6x48 weighs 37oz so whats your point.
View Quote

My point is that heavy magnified  optics can be avoided  by making other reasonable choices among quality optics.  Perhaps the weight does not matter to some.  To many of us, if carrying the weapon any distance is a regular event, then being able to substantially reduce the total weight can be a big help.  A lighter optic can also help with balance and handling.

I have nothing against ACOGs, but if I were going to go up to 6x, I might want to look at a good variable power tactical scope with MRAD turrets and reticle with a bit smaller objective lens that would weigh less, including a mount.  The 48mm objective (excellent low light capability) contributes substantially to that weight.  We don't all need an 8mm exit pupil, though, and I believe that particular ACOG was intended to be machine gun mounted.  For that use 37 ounces is not a material concern, but would be on a carbine.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:43:24 AM EDT
[#21]
it just seems that prism scopes achieve shortness at the expense of increased weight.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Lot of sight mark employees in this thread

Stay away op.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top