Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2015 9:23:28 PM EDT
I have wanted an eotech+magnifier for years but people I talked to either said stick to the eo no mag or if you need magnification just get a scope instead. Plus I don't think 3x magnification is enough for what I want, I have a  3-9x on my hunting rifle and I like what I see at 9x. Then I started leaning to a PA 1-6x scope for both close and far shots (farthest shot is 250 yards with most around 50-100 yards). Then I started thinking if I got the 1-6, when Im using it 99% of the time it would be on 1x or 6x, and for 1x a RDS would be a better option than a scope on 1x. So for now I think I want a good variable (maybe 3-9x?) or fixed (6x?) scope with a RDS like the burris fastfire on a 45 degree mount.
1) Am I correct that I want the red dot as close to the bore as I can get, not a 45 that mounts on the scope with rings or even on top like the burris fastfire combo deal?
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee188/Sodak_Jim/AR-15/100_0558.jpg
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/547/547415.jpg
2) If #1 is not optimal, and I mount the 45 on the rail, it needs to be mounted on the receiver and not the handguard rail correct? Should it be mounted further back on the rifle closer to my eye, or further from my eye?
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/files/2010/09/rs_cantilever-tales_b.jpg
http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Jeff_Gurwitch_AR-15_M4A1_Carbine_Tactical_Accessories_DefenseReview.com_DR_Pic_E.jpg
http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2014/12/12/3805759_02_spikes_tactical_ar_15_with_bla_640.jpg
3) I like this one mounted underneath the scope, would this be as good as any or does anyone see a problem with this?
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv22/telestroud/DSC02958.jpg
Anyone with experience on this stuff feel free to chime in, Im just trying to buy once not having to go thru the trial and error process and hopefully I can learn a thing or two along the way without wasting money. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You want it at about the same height as your scope just to the side of it, so that just rotating the rifle 45' without adjusting your head will allow you to switch between red dot and optic.  Forward/back distance matters little with red dots, so dont sweat it.

Some other things to consider... Mind the location of the power button on your RDS, make sure its accessable and not smashed up against your primary optic.

Also I dont personally find shooting the rifle canted 45' to be as comfortable or natural as in the normal upright position, so if most of your shooting is at red dot distances, a low power variable (1-4/1-6) set on 1x may be a better option.  

These days I've ditched the offset red dot in favor of offset irons on a 1-6x.  The 1-6 stays on 1x most of the time and I only use the offset irons when the scope is on higher magnifications.  No power button to worry about and the irons are probably more durable than a cheap red dot.  Plus they come at the correct height for easy rotate transition.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a PA mini red dot on a DD 45 offset mount on a hunting AR that has a 3-9 on it. I like the set up a lot and find the transition to the red dot easy and quick to use in case I bust something up on my walk to the blind. I have the dot mounted behind my scope and I just leave it on the whole time I'm hunting.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are going to try and run both a variable scope and a red dot for up close at the same time, which is what I do, you are probably going to want a mount that attached to the body of the scope

Because..what you are really looking  to do is keep your shoulder contact point and roll that rifle  around on it's axis without ever moving your head so that the red dot comes into your field of view and appears to be at above the tilted barrel at 12 o clock. For me, that was one ticklish position to find on the mount and the only thing that will give you that much adjustment variable is that kind of mount. If I had bought any other mount, it would have been a neck shifting, eye squinting PITA to get accustomed to and never would have been right. That whole roll it around thing works great but the sweet spot is dependent on each persons anatomy. You can do with a fixed angle, lot's of folks do and seem to be happy with it but, if you can get it just exactly right to you build, you can dang sure tell the difference.
IMHO
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
This works well for me.  Leupold VX-R Patrol in LaRue LT-104 with Burris Fastfire III in LaRue LT-137 right front ring half platform mount.  It's easier for to roll up a little on the cheek weld than rotate the rifle back and forth.

However, because the scope has the luminated, motion activated firedot, it is even quicker to stay behind the scope and shoot ACOG style Bindon Aiming Concept, both eyes open up close.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried a PA microdot on a 45° mount paired/in front of an ACOG but didn't care for it. It sat a little bit too low in that I had to really cram my face into my stock to see it. The application is probably much better with the Larue t-1 mount.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a Burris Fastfire III on a Daniel Defense mount(keymod). It is in the perfect position for me. A slight turn of the rifle takes me from looking through my 1-6X to looking through the Fastfire, no need to move my head/eye at all.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top