BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 30
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Pictures of red-dots are worthless. You really need to see it with your own eyes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So it's September 1st, anyone get any kind of confirmation of their MRO actually shipping?  
View Quote

I ordered mine from SWFA as soon as they put them on their page but haven't received any notification yet. I'm guessing Sept 1st was when Trijicon would be shipping them to dealers, so add a couple days for them to arrive, maybe another day for them to be put in the system and shipped out. Hope to receive mine late this week or early next. Won't do me any good though as aftermarket qd mounts are not available yet and I won't be purchasing the factory mount.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'll have a Aimpoint T2 here tomorrow to compare the MRO against.
View Quote

I'm eager to see how these compare in your opinion.  

I've already got a Larue Mount for the T2 (currently holding a PA optic) so the $200 price difference isn't that great for me.

So the question is... why should I get a Trijicon MRO over an Aimpoint T2?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've already got a Larue Mount for the T2 (currently holding a PA optic) so the $200 price difference isn't that great for me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll have a Aimpoint T2 here tomorrow to compare the MRO against.

The T2 has an optical shift. If you zero your irons without the T2 on the rifle, they won't be zero'd after you put the T2 on.

Also works in reverse. You can zero your irons with the T2 on but if you take the T2 off, your irons won't be zero'd.

Another thing to consider is the warranty. While Aimpoint does offer a 10 year warranty, Trijicon is offering a lifetime on the MRO.

The T2 has a higher number of brightness settings but the adjustment knob is on the right side while the MRO is on top for ambi adjustments.

The MRO has a nice in-between size. Some may complain that the T2 is too small with its 20mm window but Trijicon still wanted to make a "miniature" optic so they split the difference between the micro and comp size and went with a 25mm.

If this optic truly lives up to the ACOG reputation that Trijicon is claiming, Aimpoint will have to adjust their pricing according or loose a large share of the market over the next 5-10 years. While I did get a brand new T2 on sale for $625, I'm thinking I would have purchased the MRO had it been available at the time.

Until they start shipping, it's all just a guess. Still waiting for a qd mount to be released...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
600 hour battery life of the MRO when turned up in brightess is still far behind Aimpoint.

Same for the T2, it's only got a 10 month battery life when turned up daylight sunny-day bright, compared to the Comp M4 which actually will run for 10+ years when sunny daylight bright compatible illumination is dialed. This along with less forgiving positioning is why I went back to full-size RDS optics, in part. However, the T2 with a G33 is still an amazing setup. When the G45 comes out, I will buy another T2 and a G45.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:37:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
600 hour battery life of the MRO when turned up in brightess is still far behind Aimpoint.

Same for the T2, it's only got a 10 month battery life when turned up daylight sunny-day bright, compared to the Comp M4 which actually will run for 10+ years when sunny daylight bright compatible illumination is dialed. This along with less forgiving positioning is why I went back to full-size RDS optics, in part. However, the T2 with a G33 is still an amazing setup. When the G45 comes out, I will buy another T2 and a G45.
View Quote

Stick a AA into a micro reddot and then you can have that kind of battery life.

It may be possible with a CR123A, but the mount would be part of the optic.... or a few aimpoint micro batteries in series.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:04:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It may be possible with a CR123A, but the mount would be part of the optic.... or a few aimpoint micro batteries in series.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, yeah...link to that model, though?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Heres a couple pics showing both the Trijicon MRO and AAC Blastout. The Blastout is a forward concussion mitigation device that fits all 51T suppressor mounts. Its not available yet but will be out shortly! So far I love it!

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Botach is showing a package deal on the MRO with ADM mount for $495. Trying to decide if I want to order that or the H-1 combo for $570.

As far as battery life goes trijicon's website says 5 years of continuous use on setting 5 of 8, is setting 5 not very bright? I usually keep my ml3 on 8-9 for indoor use but in reality I have no real reason for keeping it on because it stays in the safe.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Heres a couple pics showing both the Trijicon MRO and AAC Blastout. The Blastout is a forward concussion mitigation device that fits all 51T suppressor mounts. Its not available yet but will be out shortly! So far I love it!

http://i.imgur.com/WAXky8g.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5ygNPZV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XpeHQOd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SEQhqAy.jpg
View Quote

The SSS blast shield already does this but doesn't have the cool factor of an AAC logo. I have an SSS blast shield on my .308 sbr and it makes it much easier to shoot since it has a brake.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#11]
That sss blast shield looks like an exact copy of the Griffin screw down blast shield, like it looks exactly like it!! It's ceracoated instead of melonited and $50 cheaper.. It seems really nice but I can't believe they won't get sued unless they have something worked out with Griffin.

I have the Griffin one and it works great, they all seem to be very similar and do what they are supposed to.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn't realize the T2 had optical shift, but if that's related to parallax, I'm betting the MRO will have about the same (I dunno if the shorter lens distance would help or hurt).  Oddly, my Holosun 503C shot fist-size groups at 100Y and the sights (sighted with it off) shot the same group size in the same spot sighting through the sight (though the parallax shift didn't settle down until 50Y--at 25Y and in it was off a bit to the left.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am saying that there is not enough VOLUME in these micro reddots to store that much electricity. Maybe if they were to make one that used the base volume for the battery it might.... but then people would bitch it didn't take aftermarket mounts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am saying that there is not enough VOLUME in these micro reddots to store that much electricity. Maybe if they were to make one that used the base volume for the battery it might.... but then people would bitch it didn't take aftermarket mounts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why I don't run a MRD. You nailed it. Lack of physical capacity (technological capacity?)
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#15]
So is it a proprietary mount or does it use a T1 mount?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So is it a proprietary mount or does it use a T1 mount?
View Quote

Proprietary mount, but all the major aftermarket mount companies will be making mounts as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Any model numbers or pricing available just on the mounts yet?  I was on the ADM and the LaRue sites and saw nothing.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I asked Midwest Industries if they were planning on a mount

Quoted:
Yes
it will be offered

Troy
MI
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That sss blast shield looks like an exact copy of the Griffin screw down blast shield, like it looks exactly like it!! It's ceracoated instead of melonited and $50 cheaper.. It seems really nice but I can't believe they won't get sued unless they have something worked out with Griffin.

I have the Griffin one and it works great, they all seem to be very similar and do what they are supposed to.
View Quote

Not even remotely!  They have no similarities besides having the same function.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Which has less blue tint the MRO or T2?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't notice any discernible blue tint to either optic. I looked for this in both optics against a multitude of backgrounds and background colors.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

The irony of Griffin suing anyone for stealing a design would be hilarious.

Surefire has one coming too, and Ferfrans is the one that started this thing.  It happens.

I ordered the ADM/MRO combo from botach, we will see when it ships.

Can't wait for other companies to make mounts since thats the first thing I'll replace.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#23]
To me, the T2 has NO discernible tint, however, the Trijicon definitely has some (which can even be viewed in pics and videos--scroll back to the bottom of page 2).  It is a bit lighter tint than the T1s I think.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
To me, the T2 has NO discernible tint, however, the Trijicon definitely has some (which can even be viewed in pics and videos--scroll back to the bottom of page 2).  It is a bit lighter tint than the T1s I think.
View Quote

Don't go by those pics, that's a bad representation. I actually have had an MRO for about 2 weeks or so and mine used not tinted like those pics whatsoever
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I grabbed that pic from Instagram and it had already been filtered.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Any model numbers or pricing available just on the mounts yet?  I was on the ADM and the LaRue sites and saw nothing.  
View Quote

The ADM qd mounts are available for $65 shipped from Botach. Botach is saying they'll ship on or about 9/14/15. This is also when SWFA expects to start shipping.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The ADM qd mounts are available for $65 shipped from Botach. Botach is saying they'll ship on or about 9/14/15. This is also when SWFA expects to start shipping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, I called LaRue Tactical, ADM, SWFA and Trijicon today.  Trijicon said that they were already shipping MROs this week.  Same comments from SWFA (mid september ship dates).  

I posted this on the other MRO thread going, but the LaRue mount is model number LT839.  The ADM mounts are MRO 10 (cowitness) and MRO 11 (lower 1/3).  Nice to hear that they are only $65.  

Keep the info coming.  Can't wait until some of us mere mortals get to mount one on the gun and go from there.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Need more pics of both optics aimed on a target, and a side by side looking through both.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#29]
On a bright, sunny day, setting 12 of 16 on my Comp M4 is EASILY visible.
On a bright, sunny day, setting 8 of my T2 was NOT! easily visible, and I needed to move to setting 10. This means my M4 has 10 years of operational life, while my T2 has as little as 10 months.

How was the Trijicon MRO, on setting 3, in bright sunlight? Turning it up a bit drops battery life to 25 days...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't notice any discernible blue tint to either optic. I looked for this in both optics against a multitude of backgrounds and background colors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can personally see a blue tint on the T1, T2, SRS, and COMP M4. The Leupold LCO had VERY VERY VERY VERY little blue to it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
On a bright, sunny day, setting 8 of my T2 was NOT! easily visible, and I needed to move to setting 10. This means my M4 has 10 years of operational life, while my T2 has as little as 10 months.

How was the Trijicon MRO, on setting 3, in bright sunlight? Turning it up a bit drops battery life to 25 days...
View Quote

It cracks me up that we have come to a point where you can say "as little as 10 months." For me if it is a big deal you could do a bi annual swap out if it's really important.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks, I called LaRue Tactical, ADM, SWFA and Trijicon today.  Trijicon said that they were already shipping MROs this week.  Same comments from SWFA (mid september ship dates).  

I posted this on the other MRO thread going, but the LaRue mount is model number LT839.  The ADM mounts are MRO 10 (cowitness) and MRO 11 (lower 1/3).  Nice to hear that they are only $65.  

Keep the info coming.  Can't wait until some of us mere mortals get to mount one on the gun and go from there.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hadn't even heard of these guys before but they had a QD mount available a week ago. $120 though...

http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=45&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It cracks me up that we have come to a point where you can say "as little as 10 months." For me if it is a big deal you could do a bi annual swap out if it's really important.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that's 10 months of theory. How is it for the Alaskan trooper who cranks it to 10-11 to deal with snow glare and has his carbine in his trunk in -10* weather? Is it still 10 months? What about the trooper who "isn't a gun guy" who doesn't think about temperature, batteries, etc. and just expects it to work on those 6mo battery changes? I dunno...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

The T2 has more settings overall but most of those were useless. The MRO on setting 3 was still very useable in real world conditions.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, I ran my T1 and T2 on 9 and changed it yearly.
The MRO may have to be changed every 6 months once the real numbers come out.  I'm okay with that, though every 3-4 months would be annoying.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The T2 has more settings overall but most of those were useless. The MRO on setting 3 was still very useable in real world conditions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that mean noon-day sun?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's means a normally bright day, real world usable conditions. Not directly into the sun on the lowest power setting no. But then again when have you ever tried to engage a target while directly staring at the sun and simultaneously turning your optic down to the lowest power.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's means a normally bright day, real world usable conditions. Not directly into the sun on the lowest power setting no. But then again when have you ever tried to engage a target while directly staring at the sun and simultaneously turning your optic down to the lowest power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't know setting #3 was the lowest power.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Trijicon has not exactly had strong showings  in the battery powered 1x realm (Tri-power, SRS) and the MRO (at this time) lacks the track record the micro series has demonstrated over past 8 years.  T1 street price is only slightly above the MRO but agree the T2 is priced very high.

I hope the MRO does well since competition is good - I'll just wait for results of real world use as opposed to the gushing unboxing reviews.  

I'm still using the M3 fwiw ... 30mm ftw!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Trijicon has not exactly had strong showings  in the battery powered 1x realm (Tri-power, SRS) and the MRO (at this time) lacks the track record the micro series has demonstrated over past 8 years.  T1 street price is only slightly above the MRO but agree the T2 is priced very high.

I hope the MRO does well since competition is good - I'll just wait for results of real world use as opposed to the gushing unboxing reviews.  

View Quote

Make no mistake, this review is not biased in any way, if the MRO had performed poorly or for any other reason deserved a negative review, it certainly would of gotten one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Make no mistake, this review is not biased in any way, if the MRO had performed poorly or for any other reason deserved a negative review, it certainly would of gotten one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

very well written, nice review. I would definitely give one a try after reading all that.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
very well written, nice review. I would definitely give one a try after reading all that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you sir, I appreciate that!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Terrific review. Definitely can see how the 25mm objective makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Terrific review. Definitely can see how the 25mm objective makes a big difference.
View Quote

I'd like a video review showing the camera POV moving around the Eyebox of the T2 and the MRO from a normal "as mounted" POV distance. I saw one comparing a Z6i to a Razor HD optic once, and you can REALLY see the size of a usable eyebox demonstrated in this manner. The only thing better, and not by much, is actually running the gun with the various optics, but this does provide a good example of eyebox over the 'net.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't mean it that way - just that one of the most important charastics or a red dot is durability - one that Aimpoint is without compare in the powered 1x realm.  Only time and testing will tell if the MRO can hang with the micro series.

Declaring the MRO the new king is a bit premature.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for the review. The MRO looks like a great sight that I will certainly keep an eye on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice review!!!! I can't wait to order one... In a few more weeks

Cheers
Shannon
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Awesome review thank you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Can anyone succinctly summarize the industry partners that are advertising these as available soon?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Thank you for all the nice words guys, doing these reviews are a real pleasure.
Page / 30
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top