Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2015 12:28:12 PM EDT
So i'm wrapping up a 7.5" PDW-like pistol build and am trying to figure out the optics situation. I would say that it'll be for HD use but I live in a perfectly safe neighborhood so it'll most likely sit in my closet when I'm not going to the range. Thus it's tough to justify an Eotech (although I was really close to getting one last night with that Gander Mountain Sale). I'm looking for a low to mid priced reflex sight, not a tube sight such as an aimpoint. Already have a Vortex Strikefire II on another AR and want to try something new.

Has anyone had any experience with Sightmark red dots? I'm looking at their Ultra Shot Plus.

Alternatively, any other recommendations for reflex sights? I was looking at the Primary Arms one, but it looks pretty small.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I played with a Sightmark Sure Shot reflex on a .22LR single shot bolt gun  I put together for a beginner rifle for a 10 year old grandchild.  It was a dismal failure.  I had low expectation and it was even worse.  Extremely difficult to sight in, every reticle (four choices) shot to a different point of impact, would not hold zero even with that light recoil, and battery life sucked.  Other than that, yeah, a great little optic!  It is now a paperweight.

If you want a reflex, the Burris Fastfire III is a decent choice.  I am using one as a place holder in a LaRue LT-137 scope ring platform while I wait for the DeltaPoint Pro to be released, supposedly later this year.  When the DP Pro arrives, the FF III will go on that .22LR or maybe on a tactical shotgun.

If you want compact and light, you need a Trijicon RMR or Leupold Deltapoint Pro.  These sights do require a riser to mount on an AR.  If used as a pistol with no AR height irons, you might can use them without a riser.   Leupold DeltaPoints  (the current model) are very commonly used on competition pistols when class rules permit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#2]
i fooled with one at a gun show once. Seemed some what decently put together. They do have an industry page here too. However. If the weapon you would be mounting it to would be one of the first 3 you would reach for should the need arise I wouldn't put anything less than an eotech, Aimpoint or trijicon on it. I might put a cheap optic on a 22 plinking gun or a BB gun. But never on a serious use defensive weapon.

ETA hot link to Eotech 512

Be careful with gun show / eBay "great deal" high end optics. They are likely knock offs.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I use ultra shot plus on my BAD15 Pistols, really great product (IMO) for our 556 and 300Blk.250.00mcheaper than eotechs.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Like I said, really safe neighborhood so not worried about actually using this in an HD situation. Plus I have a shotgun in the closet and .40 Springfield XDM next to the bed. So don't need something I'm necessarily trusting my life with, I just don't want to waste money on a total piece of crap. I'm not interested in an eotech, Aimpoint or trijicon. The Burris seems a bit too small for me. What's the reflex equivalent to a Vortex Strikefire? Does anyone make a good Eotech knockoff?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The Burris Fastfire III, Leupold Deltapoint, Docter, J-Point, and yes, the Vortex Razor, Venom and Viper red dots, and Redfied Accelerator reflex sights are all about the same size and all attach to the same mounting plate pattern.  They are small for a reason.  You can see around them easily with both eyes open and have a much wider field of view.  Same with the Trijicon RMR, although it uses a different mounting plate pattern.

Sounds as if you have your mind made up.  Most reasonably durable reflex sights will be the size of the above and use either the universal mount pattern or the RMR pattern.  Most duty grade mount companies, such as LaRue and ADM make specific mounts for these size reflex sights, also for a reason.

However, you should be happy with your choice.  You seem to want something larger, and don't want any of the "tube type" micro dots.  So, the Sightmark might be just about your only option, short of an EoTech.  You might want to ponder why that is.  Also, the CR-2 battery is hard to find often, and can cost up to $8 each for the high capacity lithium versions.

If you are looking for an EOTech type reticle (circle dot), there is another option, but it is a tube style design"  4.6 ounce Lucid M7 microdot.  I like it a lot because of the reticle, the single AAA battery, the tethered battery and turret caps, the auto intensity adjustment and that it is very rugged.  I have two, one on a carbine and one on a tactical shotgun oblivious to the abuse of full power 12 gauge buckshot and slugs.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I have only fondled a sightmark at the store, but a side by side comparison with EOtech leads me to want one. at $99 even if it last 5 years its worth it. also I have astigmatism and the sightmark was very clear and the EOtech was very grainy and streaky. my eyes are the problem not the EOtech . but at +$400 for an EOtech its hard to justify. now if it wont zero Ill be returning it. that is once I get my upper finished.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I used a See All sight on mine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out the mepro m5
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have only fondled a sightmark at the store, but a side by side comparison with EOtech leads me to want one. at $99 even if it last 5 years its worth it. also I have astigmatism and the sightmark was very clear and the EOtech was very grainy and streaky. my eyes are the problem not the EOtech . but at +$400 for an EOtech its hard to justify. now if it wont zero Ill be returning it. that is once I get my upper finished.
View Quote

Please let us know how it works out.  Perhaps quality has gotten better.  

It is still the poorly performing Sureshot in a bigger case with a riser and a switch to an uncommon battery.

Be sure to check its brightness in full sunlight.  The Sureshot is barely visible on its highest setting of "7."
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't know if you realize it or not, but Sightmark just came out with what they are calling the Milspec version of their Ultra Shot. If you are going to buy one, buy this one. It's far superior to their other reflex sights.
Sightmark Ultrashot M-Spec Red Dot
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't know if you realize it or not, but Sightmark just came out with what they are calling the Milspec version of their Ultra Shot. If you are going to buy one, buy this one. It's far superior to their other reflex sights.
Sightmark Ultrashot M-Spec Red Dot
View Quote

In what ways?  Do you have one yet?  Please compare.  Reports I've seen are that parallax error, as with the other Sightmark reflex sights, like my Sureshot,  is very bad at typical close range use.

It is an ounce lighter, though and better waterproofed against submersion.  But no open reflex, not even the high priced ones, work in the rain, because water on the diode emitter lens blocks the beam or turns it into a blob.  If it gets on the back side of the open obnective lens, same problem.  This is why they are usually reserved for secondary sight use.  Some  reflex sights do come with a foul weather cover that helps.  Does it have one?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Like I said, really safe neighborhood so not worried about actually using this in an HD situation. Plus I have a shotgun in the closet and .40 Springfield XDM next to the bed. So don't need something I'm necessarily trusting my life with, I just don't want to waste money on a total piece of crap. I'm not interested in an eotech, Aimpoint or trijicon. The Burris seems a bit too small for me. What's the reflex equivalent to a Vortex Strikefire?  Does anyone make a good Eotech knockoff?
View Quote

You're asking if there is a "good" knock-off to a tried and true quality sight?

If there was, EOtech and Aimpoint probably wouldn't be around.

Buy some shit, get some shit.  That's how it works.

Why not just keep an eye on the EE and see about buying a real one that's used?  I would take a used name brand to a new Chinese imposter piece of shit any day, regardless whether or not my life depended on it.

ETA:  And personally, if I just had to go budget I would look at Primary Arms.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The EOtech reticle is grainy and streaky by design.  Holographic sight.  The Sightmark is a cheap regular ole' emitter.  Not saying there is anything wrong with either per se, just explaining what you saw was an inherited characteristic of a holographic sight.  And personally, it doesn't work well for me either.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#14]

I don't have one but my best friend does. I've shot it three times now and it has worked very well all three times. I own an Eotech 512 and it's not an Eotech, but it's certainly not junk either. The glass quality is the biggest difference I see, besides just general quality of material and workmanship. You spend $500+ on an optic and you can usually see the quality in the device. It's like a piece of art whereas the $200 optic is a piece of consumer electronics. I saw no problem with parallax and I just called my buddy and he said there is a little bit of a problem still but nothing he can't live with. Since I don't own one and have a lot of experience with it, it's kind of hard to "review it" but from everything I have seen and read, as well as the little personal experience I have had, If I was in the market for a entry level optic, I'd give it a second look. If you don't like it or if you don't get a good one, you can always return it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't have one but my best friend does. I've shot it three times now and it has worked very well all three times. I own an Eotech 512 and it's not an Eotech, but it's certainly not junk either. The glass quality is the biggest difference I see, besides just general quality of material and workmanship. You spend $500+ on an optic and you can usually see the quality in the device. It's like a piece of art whereas the $200 optic is a piece of consumer electronics. I saw no problem with parallax and I just called my buddy and he said there is a little bit of a problem still but nothing he can't live with. Since I don't own one and have a lot of experience with it, it's kind of hard to "review it" but from everything I have seen and read, as well as the little personal experience I have had, If I was in the market for a entry level optic, I'd give it a second look. If you don't like it or if you don't get a good one, you can always return it.
View Quote

How well will it work on the 4rth and 5th times out is the question?  Might last a lifetime.  Who knows.  I'm not in a position to pay the big bucks for every cool piece I think I need.  But optics like these generally earn a shitty reputation for a reason.

The glass may be clear.  But it's the things you can't see that make the difference.  How durable are the electronics?  Will it hold zero in a few thousand rounds, or even a few hundred?  These questions are usually mitigated as much as possible by not buying cheap shit, although anything is possible and it might be great.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top