Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2015 1:28:38 AM EDT
I normally don't ask for advice like this but I've been going back and forth for several months trying to decide.  My AR is a DPMS A3 Classic with an A2 stock and 20" barrel.  The only thing not stock on it is a Timney 3 lb trigger.  My scope is a VX-R 2-7 with illuminated #4 reticle. The riser is a PEPR QD.  The rifle has iron sights.

I don't do any target or competition shooting.  I bought the rifle for hunting and HD.  I use it occasionally for coyotes but use a .243 most of the time.  I have handguns and shotguns for HD.  Since I have a scope with an IR and iron sights I wonder if I need a mini red dot.  What purpose would it serve that is not covered by my current set-up?

Through my employer I can get Leupold, Vortex and Burris for 60% off of MSRP.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally consider the iron sights to be my AR's true sights, and I spend a fair amount of time training with them.  They fulfill the roles of CQB and longer-range accuracy (I use the GG&G MAD) pretty darn well.

I do, however, own and train with a scope and a red-dot sight for a couple of key benefits:

The scope, of course, is going to make the longer shots quicker and more repeatably precise.

The red-dot sight makes it easier to get on target in lower-light conditions.
It's easier to get back on target after recoil.
The field of view is large, so I can see other potential targets more easily.

That said, I spend the least amount of time on the red-dot since I don't do high-volume shooting and I do a fair amount of varminting.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I would take full advantage of those discounts. discretely sell the ones you don't like. Unless your an leo.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Given you current setup, it would be a stretch to recommend a red dot.  Did you know that you can use your scope as a red dot?  With a flip up front lens cap down, closed, that's right, closed the Firedot reticle works just like a red dot with both eyes open.  That is occluded eye shooting or a variation of Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC).

Because the dot is motion activated, it is always ready, like an Aimpoint.

Try it.

Only thing I can think of for use of your discount with that rifle would be Leupold Alumina lens caps.  They screw into your scope, are metal, not easily broken plastic, and fold back flat.  Not cheap, but worth every penny, especially with that discount.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you have a good scope there already for your setup.

If you are thinking about adding another AR to your collection and putting a red dot, then yes it would be a good idea. Otherwise, I would just leave that scope on there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:28:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you have a good scope there already for your setup.

If you are thinking about adding another AR to your collection and putting a red dot, then yes it would be a good idea. Otherwise, I would just leave that scope on there.
View Quote

I would not take the scope off, I would mount the red dot in addition to the scope.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#7]
With a flip up front lens cap down, closed, that's right, closed the Firedot reticle works just like a red dot with both eyes open. That is occluded eye shooting or a variation of Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC).
View Quote

This is what I do with my Leupold scopes and it works well.  Plus, I am 57 and I have a scope if I need one.  Get a good mount too.  Don't save on scope or mounts or it may bite you.  Buy once, cry once.  Peace!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you saying the Burris PEPR is not good enough?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Is this the setup your considering? I'm thinking about it my self. The etched reticle in addition to an rds should be fine, you already have irons though.

If your question is, "do I need 3 sights?" Obviously the answer is no. But considering your discount , give it a whirl. Maybe take the irons off to save some weight.

I have the vortex pst though, and not sure if the peppr would put an rds high enough to clear the turret. I'd like a mount lower than cowitness height, with a railed cap high enough to clear. Havnt found one yet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#10]
That is the set-up I would have.  My son has the Burris package that looks like that on his AR: Fullfield Tac 30, Fasfire III, and PEPR mount.  Mine is a Leupold VX-R 2-7 in a PEPR QD.  I would mount a red dot on the top of the ring just like in the picture.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a setup like that. 1-6x Primary Arms scope, PEPR mount, Magpul offset Irons.

I through a Weaver mini up there, because it was cheap and I wanted to try it.

It works, but I think it's hardly necessary. I have a true 1x, though. If the Weaver crapped out, I wouldn't replace it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top