Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2015 1:47:26 PM EDT
Hey all,

I've been wanting to get a magnifier for some time now. Unfortunately some things cane up that set my savings process back, but I figured I'd use the time for more research.

The two I like so far are the eotech, and the samson. Does anyone have experience with either? Or both? I'd like for it to be bomb proof. The samson seems newer to the market so theres not as many reviews.

Is the eotech worth the extra change? I saw a youtube review that pits the samson vs. The aimpoint and in most of the catagories in the compare, the samson won.

What is yalls experience/advice?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the Eotech G33.  The Samson mount is HORRIBLE.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought samson made the g33 mount for eotech? I know it isn't their RAM mount but I thought I heard that somewhere. And just curious what is it you don't like about the samson mount?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought samson made the g33 mount for eotech? I know it isn't their RAM mount but I thought I heard that somewhere. And just curious what is it you don't like about the samson mount?

Thanks
View Quote

I think Samson made the FTS mount for the G23 and Eotech went with a new mount for the G33
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think Samson made the FTS mount for the G23 and Eotech went with a new mount for the G33
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Gotcha.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I am very pleased with my G33. I would trade it for a G45 when/if they come out...BUT that is only if FOV and weight are not compromised. The glass is bright, day or night, and with the T2, I can shoot 10-shot 2 MOA groups all day long with decent duty ammo (Ranger Bonded) at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The Samson mount violently and loudly thumps the magnifier to the side.  The Eotech is smooth and discrete.  The Samson mount has this tiny lever that is hard to get to with gloves or on the move.  It is a horrible horrible mount.  It feels cheap and it comes with shiny  mounting screws that looks like they got at home depot.  It is not just the mount.  The G33 optics looked clearer to me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the Samson and the mount is awesome, don't even have to remove the hands from the gun to flip to side, it is quick and positive. As a machinist, I can say the work is impressive. Everything is solid and tight. The QD system is flawless. If you need the discretion for some reason you can guide the flip with your hand.

The eye box is friendly due to the larger objective lens, edge to edge view is clear focused, distortion and aberration free.

The body is solid, rugged and the diopter adjustment is tight and smooth. The screws that hold it to the mount are plenty strong and much less likely to strip out than tiny socket or torx head screws...if you know how to use a screw driver.

They cost $269 on Amazon.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have the Samson and the mount is awesome, don't even have to remove the hands from the gun to flip to side, it is quick and positive. As a machinist, I can say the work is impressive. Everything is solid and tight. The QD system is flawless. If you need the discretion for some reason you can guide the flip with your hand.

The eye box is friendly due to the larger objective lens, edge to edge view is clear focused, distortion and aberration free.

The body is solid, rugged and the diopter adjustment is tight and smooth. The screws that hold it to the mount are plenty strong and much less likely to strip out than tiny socket or torx head screws...if you know how to use a screw driver.

They cost $269 on Amazon.

View Quote

Haha I like that... if you know how to use a screw driver lol. Yeah that's the one thing I'd heard people complain about. And yeah I saw them on amazon and that's one of the reasons it's so tempting. Especially considering eotechs price tag, if it doesn't really do anything better than the samson. ..
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I would go EoTech or Vortex

I couldnt justify the price point of the EoTech, so I went with the Vortex. No regrets
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Best? Bombproof? EOTech > Samson
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:04:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

What makes you say that? What is better about the eotech
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would go EoTech or Vortex

I couldnt justify the price point of the EoTech, so I went with the Vortex. No regrets
View Quote

I also did the same and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#13]
How compatable are different manufacturers height wise?  Would a Vortex line up with an Aimpoint or Eotech?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The EOTech magnifier is used by the military and law enforcement, so I would assume it's more rugged. I also like the STS mount of the EOTech G33 more than the Larue, ADM, and others. But if you are looking for something cheaper, or a good value, the Vortex and Samson magnifiers should work.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#15]
how much you wanna spend
Eotech
Vortex
Primary Arms
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How compatable are different manufacturers height wise?  Would a Vortex line up with an Aimpoint or Eotech?
View Quote

Yes the vortex comes with risers for the different heights
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
how much you wanna spend
Eotech
Vortex
Primary Arms
View Quote

Well that's the question lol.

If it is worth it, I'll drop the monet for an eotech.

It's one of those hard things to say, I want to spend money on the one that, will give me the most reliable performance, and the most durable. I don't have a problem spending the money on it if I know it isn't gonna be crap (I know eotech isn't crap), but if another magnifier will be just as durable it'd be nice to save 150 bucks...
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The EOTech magnifier is used by the military and law enforcement, so I would assume it's more rugged. I also like the STS mount of the EOTech G33 more than the Larue, ADM, and others. But if you are looking for something cheaper, or a good value, the Vortex and Samson magnifiers should work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's my logic on it as well, was just curious if maybe there was other hard data out there someone knew about. But yes I tend to agree if it's in use by professionals, it's generally a good choice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#19]
It sounds like you want an Eotech but don't wanna shovel out the coin.

In your case Id say get the Samson. If you truly want a "proven bombproof" magnifier get an Eotech or Aimpoint as they have been in use with the military for years.

Also not sure what kind of hard data you are looking for?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It sounds like you want an Eotech but don't wanna shovel out the coin.

In your case Id say get the Samson. If you truly want a "proven bombproof" magnifier get an Eotech or Aimpoint as they have been in use with the military for years.

Also not sure what kind of hard data you are looking for?

View Quote

Yeah, I think I will just go eotech. Idk really about the hard data, I guess just hoping for information from someone who knows more about them then I do.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:40:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I love the Samson.  The eyebox and eye-relief are the best of the bunch, and I don't mind the small flip-tab.  Will it be as tough as the EO and AP?  Not sure.  For the price, and what little I'll put it through, it's a good bet/value.  I've owned multiples of them all.  I actually thought the eye-relief and eyebox was a bit better on the AP than the G33, but maybe that's just me.  

The Samson shines with bigger optics (not the micros or RMRs).  It lets in a lot of light and appears to be useable a bit longer in the evening than the g33.  The only worry I have is that the centering screws seem awfully easy to turn.  I wonder if they can vibrate loose and de-center the reticle.  In 400rds, so far they've been fine.

Since I only use the 3.5X on the gun like 10-20% of the time, I don't think I can justify spending a lot.  That said.  This idea of a G45 has me interested.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top