Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 12:32:55 PM EDT
I finally finished my Recce rifle with all its bells and whistles but with the scope on it I don't feel that it would be optimal for a HD rifle.  So the brd kicked in now I'm building another rifle that I plan on having 2 things on a red dot and flashlight.

I'm looking at vortex sights.  I have 2 of their Crossfire scopes and while at the lowest end they are great scopes.  But for a red dot 0-50yard  I'm trying to decide between a strike fire ii the sparc ii or the spitfire 1x prism.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Out of those, maybe Spitfire because it has an etched reticle, however, I would save for an Aimpoint Pro.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Since this is for HD, save for the Aimpoint Pro.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Sparc 2.

But I'd save up for an aimpoint or eotech.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

x3.  Vortex may have a great warranty, but that doesn't help you if it fails right when you need it most.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Look into holosun red dots , instant on feature is awesome.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Aimpoint or a "smaller" eotech (like the xps3), take your pick.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#9]
For a serious rifle?  Save longer and buy an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy once, cry once...
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!  Or find any other Aimpoint on EE.  You'll enjoy it more for its proven reliability and performance. Hours of fun with no disappointments.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have Aimpoint in T-1 model and the PRO I also have an Eotech 556, all great HD/cqb optics.... that being said my Holosun HS403G has performs just as well . If I was going to war I  would opt for the T-1 or more likely an ACOG but for HD and even civil skirmish I would have no problem walking out the door with my Holosuns
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I like my xps2-2 but my bump in the night gun has an aimpoint pro and that is what I would suggest you look into . I also have a vortex strikefire and would never consider it a serious hd optic it now resides on my turkey shotgun , I put fresh batteries in every season.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Why just the three in the poll?  None are duty grade.  If you can't go Aimpoint Pro or EOTech, there is a wide range of near duty grade less expensive options.

The one most impressive to me is the little 4.6 ounce Lucid M7 microdot.  It is unique in that it uses an EOTech like circle dot reticle which is lightning fast on target acquisition while retaining a small 2 MOA center dot, runs on a single AAA battery, available everywhere, has automatic dot intensity as ambient light changes, has tethered turret and battery caps that can't get lost in thecfield, and has proven to be as durable as any less than duty grade red dot I know.  I have two now.  One QD mounted on an AR carbine, the other taking a pounding without complaint on a 12 gauge tactical shotgun.  Ben running them about two years now.  Never a failure, always holding zero.

Let me repeat, none of these is duty grade.  But, if I had to depend in an under $200 red dot, it would be the Lucid M7.

Here is the M7 on an ADM QD on the carbine.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't skimp on a HD optic. I prefer Eotech 512's reticle and the wide FOV over the tube of an aimpoint in the same price category and the fact that it's made in the states. However I appreciate the boringly reliable Aimpoint with their long battery life. And will likely own an aimpoint some day. An Aimpoint PRO or I think they just came out with a cheaper option Or an eotech 512 both well under 500$ And would serve you well. However at in the home distance a good flashlight such as Elzetta or surefire with iorn sights will do just fine

Buy once cry once
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#16]
HD optic can ever fail, even once. I think $150 extra or so is a small price to pay for the extra % chance it will work when needed.  Aimpoints and Eotechs are regularly had on the EE for low $300s.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Buy once, cry once...
View Quote

or a couple times if you have more than one rifle......
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#18]
If I had to choose between the 3 listed, it would be the Vortex Sparc II. But since its for HD, I would get an Aimpoint PRO or ACO.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#19]
For HD use on a budget consider good fixed iron sights with an XS tritium front post. You'll be able to get it done 0-50 yards in any lighting conditions, no problem.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Vortex Sparc on a .22 and a Viper PST on a recce style rifle.

For HD, I'd prefer irons over any of the options listed.  To me, for HD the only option is Aimpoint, for the always-on battery life.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#21]
HD or other real world use on a budget... Aimpoint PRO only

edit to add: and IRONS
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:20:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm not an expert, and I only have two red-dots, HD-7 and the PRO. For home defense, I would not buy any red-dot sight except the PRO. It just isn't worth the risk. That being said, with a light and irons on a HD rifle, it IS worth the risk to wait and save longer to get the PRO.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sparc 2.

But I'd save up for an aimpoint or eotech.
View Quote

Same here. Picked Sparc in the poll but get the PRO. I have it; love it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Buy a used aimpoint PRO on the EE.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep...this.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#28]
This
Quoted:
View Quote

I HAD an EOTech 512 for my HD carbine, it failed so I sent it back for repairs ($80) and then sold it.  I liked the idea that if there is ANY glass it will work, the ranging and moving target reticle and all....but it would not work when I needed it.  Went with an Aimpoint PRO and never looked back.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top