Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2015 12:08:22 PM EDT
The weaver is on sale for $449 and is FFP.  I believe the Weaver is made in Japan.

The vortex is SFP but I've read more about it.  It costs around $575.

Weaver item # is 800368

What would you choose for an SPR type rifle?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The weaver is on sale for $449 and is FFP.  I believe the Weaver is made in Japan.

The vortex is SFP but I've read more about it.  It costs around $575.

Weaver item # is 800368

What would you choose for an SPR type rifle?

View Quote

I actually had the same question and ended up getting the Vortex Viper 2.5-10 PST for $449 to my door on sale.  Added an American Defense Recon 30 STD mount.  The scope is leaps and bounds better than what I had on it before (BSA Panther 6.5-20x42).  The Viper also came with a sunshade which I needed for the late afternoon Texas sun.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Vortex viper
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]
SVT40, where did you get it that cheap?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd get the Weaver no doubt. Japan > Philippines.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SVT40, where did you get it that cheap?
View Quote

Here is the discussion I had on this same topic.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_5/2192_Rifle_scope_under__500_.html

The scope came from here on an earlier sale for $489 but with the Amazon rebate it came out to $449 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-PST-210S1-M-2-5-10x44-Riflescope/dp/B003AQKQGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436824642&sr=8-1&keywords=viper%20pst%202.5-10&tag=viglink20251-20

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty sure the viper line is japan

Edit might be just the razor line...I'll have to check my viper when I get home
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Amazon rebate?  Is that something new or something that has passed?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Amazon rebate?  Is that something new or something that has passed?
View Quote

I think it was something for my first purchase with Amazon.  Never bought anything from there till that scope.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

My WEAVER 3-15x50mm S-SLAM  glass is better then my Viper 6.5-20x50 PA but not better then my Viper HS LR 6-24x50
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#11]
There's more important stuff inside those tubes than just glass.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
That particular Vortex (the one with a 44 obj) is the only one I've ever heard bad reviews on. You might want to research that one a little more.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That particular Vortex (the one with a 44 obj) is the only one I've ever heard bad reviews on. You might want to research that one a little more.
View Quote

I don't know if Vortex addressed the issue, but, yes, there are threads here raising Cain about problems with the 44mm objective scopes from them.  Hopefully those concerns were addressed.  Might be best to read those threads and check with users.  I don't have one.

Can't go wrong with the current Weaver models, though.  Amazing optical clarity and turret tracking for scopes in their price range, no doubt, in part due to the Japanese manufacture.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I have owned three Vipers and a Crossfire Rimfire scope.  Still have the Crossfire but sold the Vipers.  I sell firearms and optics and mount scopes where I work.  As such that doesn't make me an expert.  But I do know that some people see better out of certain brands of scopes than others.  For my eyes I would choose the Weaver and not because it is made in Japan and Vipers are made in the Philippines.  Even if I could see equally well out of both scopes in the store(which I don't) I would pick the Weaver.  In my experience Vipers have shorter eye relief than other scopes I've owned in their price class which is not a big deal to me unless mounted on a heavy recoiling rifle.  The most important reason for me is all of the scopes I own are better in low light than Vortex:  Clearidge, Burris, Bushnell, Leupold, Meopta, Weaver and Zeiss.  I would like to stress that this is my experience and yours could easily be different because of your eyes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Got the weaver today and mounted it right away.  I have to say I'm impressed.  Clear, VERY generous eye relief, and great knobs.  The illuminated reticle is a tad weak, but thats my only complaint so far.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top