Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 11:56:47 AM EDT
I am looking for a good clear scope to use for 100-200 yd target shooting. Like to be under $1K. Any suggestions I am thinking over 14X
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Over 14x for 100-200 yards?   Don't you think that might be overkill and might severely limit field of view, produce a tiny exit pupil at high magnification, and impede the ability to focus at closer distances?

What kind of target shooting do you plan to do at  the 100-200 yard distance?  Will this scope need to be used in low light conditions?  Help us understand what your use will be.  Paper only?  What size targets?  What degree of precision?   How accurate is your rifle?

I do have high magnification scopes.  They are for special purposes.  I would not recommend a scope over 14x for shooting 200 yards and in unless you are trying to shoot tiny groups at fixed, very small targets, like benchrest.  And then, such scopes severely limit all other uses.

If it is target shooting only, and only at fixed range, and not to be used for other purposes, then yes, consider a benchrest type scope.

Weaver T-24 or T-36 are affordable fix power target scopes with decent reputations.

A 6-24x variable with 50mm objective might be another option.  I have a no longer produced Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50 that is superb for such use and for load development of my handloads.  These are big, heavy, long, somewhat unwieldy scopes.  But the better ones are very good for their intended purpose. I have mine QD mounted in a LaRue 1.93 SPR mount, because the scope, with sunshade attached extends so far forward, that it would hit my front folded sight if mounted at standard 1.5" height, and because I want to be able to easily remove it and use other more modest optics for general purpose use, and be able to put it back on and have it return to zero.

A true benchrest competition scope is exemplified by the Leupold Competition Series - all fixed power in 35, 40 or 45x, very precise, at about $1,100 each, street value.  They don't have to perform in low light or at long range, but have extremely precise adjustments and decent glass for those distances.  National benchrest shooters often choose one of these.  They are not intended for field use and are not ruggedized. Is this what you are looking for or do you need more versatility?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Over 14x for 100-200 yards?   Don't you think that might be overkill and might severely limit field of view, produce a tiny exit pupil at high magnification, and impede the ability to focus at closer distances?

What kind of target shooting do you plan to do at  the 100-200 yard distance?  Will this scope need to be used in low light conditions?  Help us understand what your use will be.  Paper only?  What size targets?  What degree of precision?   How accurate is your rifle?

I do have high magnification scopes.  They are for special purposes.  I would not recommend a scope over 14x for shooting 200 yards and in unless you are trying to shoot tiny groups at fixed, very small targets, like benchrest.  And then, such scopes severely limit all other uses.

If it is target shooting only, and only at fixed range, and not to be used for other purposes, then yes, consider a benchrest type scope.

Weaver T-24 or T-36 are affordable fix power target scopes with decent reputations.

A 6-24x variable with 50mm objective might be another option.  I have a no longer produced Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50 that is superb for such use and for load development of my handloads.  These are big, heavy, long, somewhat unwieldy scopes.  But the better ones are very good for their intended purpose. I have mine QD mounted in a LaRue 1.93 SPR mount, because the scope, with sunshade attached extends so far forward, that it would hit my front folded sight if mounted at standard 1.5" height, and because I want to be able to easily remove it and use other more modest optics for general purpose use, and be able to put it back on and have it return to zero.

A true benchrest competition scope is exemplified by the Leupold Competition Series - all fixed power in 35, 40 or 45x, very precise, at about $1,100 each, street value.  They don't have to perform in low light or at long range, but have extremely precise adjustments and decent glass for those distances.  National benchrest shooters often choose one of these.  They are not intended for field use and are not ruggedized. Is this what you are looking for or do you need more versatility?

View Quote

I think that may have been a typo and he meant a 1-4x. If not, then I agree, but if you are looking for a variable 1-4x op, SWFA has a nice one, as well as Vortex. Vortex also just released the 1-6x Strike Eagle which at under $400 is a steal!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes you are correct on your points.

Intended use. Fixed paper target at 200 and if a visit happens to a 600 yd range, that will be great. Tiny groups is the goal. (I have a savage 12 f tr also). I built a nice 18" saturn bareled AR. I would like to shoot close with my eotech, and swap out to a higher powered scope for tight groups at distance. I like the Bushnell Elete tactical 3.5-20x50 and the new Trijicon 5-20x50 they both are arount $1400  with a Larue mount.  Around 13"
Having aging eyes I would like bright and clear optics. I have a sighttron 36x. Its ok in that department. But when you get up to 1000 bucks iit is decent money. So I would like the best I can afford. Thought there might be a magic bullet in scopes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Intended use. Fixed paper target at 200 and if a visit happens to a 600 yd range, that will be great. Tiny groups is the goal. (I have a savage 12 f tr also). I built a nice 18" saturn bareled AR. I would like to shoot close with my eotech, and swap out to a higher powered scope for tight groups at distance. I like the Bushnell Elete tactical 3.5-20x50 and the new Trijicon 5-20x50 they both are arount $1400  with a Larue mount.  Around 13"
Having aging eyes I would like bright and clear optics. I have a sighttron 36x. Its ok in that department. But when you get up to 1000 bucks iit is decent money. So I would like the best I can afford. Thought there might be a magic bullet in scopes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood.  If shooting to 600 you may need more elevation than a benchrest scope can provide, and might want MRAD turrets rather than fine MOA, and perhaps a corresponding reticle for holdovers.  I do prefer to use turrets for "come ups" and reticle for hold off wind adjustments.  That's much different than benchrest.  Might have to compromise.

Here is a good read from a well-respected precision shooting blog on recommended scopes in various price ranges.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/03/07/best-long-range-scopes-buyers-guide-and-features-to-look-for/

They really like this Bushnell scope and reticle, although it is over your price limit a bit.

The Burris XTR II Tactical scopes have a huge following here, although I do not (yet) own one.  The 5-25x50mm version might suit you and is closer to your budget.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-xtr-ii-tactical-riflescope-w-g2b-mil-dot-illum-reticle-5-25x50mm.html
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Deleted by moderator.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Deleted by moderator.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top