Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2015 11:31:58 AM EDT
Maybe I'm just asking too much, maybe its because I don't kick in doors, I have just found that red dot sights un satisfying.

This has been over a few years, I originally started with an Aimpoint ML2, it was a good sight, and for the rifles I put it on, it suffice with battle rifle work.

Now I have hyper accurate Larues. I feel like its an injustice to limit the rifle to a 2 moa dot.

Yesterday I went to the range with a T2, and a EXPS 2-0 with a magnifier. Mounted both individually on my PredatAr and sighted both in with use of the magnifier. Then did some drills.

At the end of the day I felt like they both kinda sucked. The t2 I found myself looking for the dot, the micro window is too small. (Yes I keep both eyes open) Maybe its just a practice thing, I like many don't get to shoot as often as I used too.

The Eotech, I think its the technology combined with my minor astigmatism but the center dot never really is a perfectly clear dot for me. I actually shot tighter groups with the 2moa micro, than the Exps.

Anyone else just find a RDS lacking for everything you want. I think I may try one of the new accupowers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the 30mm aimpoints to the micros.

Probably going to trade my H1 for a pro.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you just have the wrong tools mixed for the job you want. If all I did was shoot from a bench, I wouldn't care for RDS'.

On the move shooting on my Sbr, I love it.

M4gery has an acog

Mk12 has a 2.5-10

MATEN .308 has a 5-25

Some optics are better suited to certain rifles
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#3]
nope--I have guns set up for just the bench--That's what my two predatobrs are for.

Like I said--I did drills with both optics---and really found not to really like either of em.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#4]
It sounded like you are using precision rifles with red dots, and while fine for some people, Ide rather have a scope. But RDS' pretty much can't be beat in the speed to acquire
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm actually wondering if I should try a m4s before giving up on them entirely.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It sounded like you are using precision rifles with red dots, and while fine for some people, Ide rather have a scope. But RDS' pretty much can't be beat in the speed to acquire
View Quote

With the new breed of quality low power variables, this is proving to be the case less and less.

Check out smglee's review of the vortex 1-6 hd. Hes faster with the scope than the red dot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get a weird parallax effect both eyes open using the micro where I don't with a pro.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I run a mix of red dots and scopes, but only the sub-100y and inacccurate rifles get red dots.  All the good barrels get scopes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#9]
You will never totally enjoy red dots with astigmatism.
Get some corrective lenses or a new prescription if you already have glasses and try them.
Worked for me, now my dots are clear and sharp.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I get a weird parallax effect both eyes open using the micro where I don't with a pro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.  I tried to love the Micro for two years and finally got rid of it and went back to a PRO.  

Like the OP, I really don't like Aimpoints, but they are an amazing asset for close range and low light engagements that is unrivaled by anything on the market.  A red dot advances the carbines capabilities more than any other enhancement since it's inception.

I have an astigmatism and can't shoot all that accurately with an Aimpoint, but I can do thing with one that just isn't close to possible with irons or any other optic.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Me too.  I tried to love the Micro for two years and finally got rid of it and went back to a PRO.  

Like the OP, I really don't like Aimpoints, but they are an amazing asset for close range and low light engagements that is unrivaled by anything on the market.  A red dot advances the carbines capabilities more than any other enhancement since it's inception.

I have an astigmatism and can't shoot all that accurately with an Aimpoint, but I can do thing with one that just isn't close to possible with irons or any other optic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a fan of the Aimpoint Micro's either. I do like PRO's though and I still have one. I recently bought an Eotech 556 A65 ( $399 shipped)and surprisingly I have found that I really like it. I do prefer my Burris XTRII 1-5 to them for anything over 100 yards though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Try out the accupoint, or accupower.  Europtic has the Steiner 1-4 on sale for $699, Ive got one glass is excellent, daytime bright dot and bdc, nice big eyebox.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:17:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exact same experience.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I am going to try the 1x Vortex muzzleloader scope on my 9mm AR.   Reportedly you can use it like a red dot with no fuzzy image like I get with them.   I also like the idea that if there are no batteries available it doesnt effect the scope.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was issued one on my M4 Carbine in Afghanistan.  It is fine, but did not blow my socks off.  I honestly prefer the PRO.  I prefer an EOTECH EXPS2 over all of the Aimpoints.  I have a much easier time with both eyes open shooting using the EOTECH vs Aimpoint. In the Aimpoint I always find myself reverting to closing one eye.  Not sure if I'll ever be able to break that habit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Break the habit by putting a lens cap on the end of the PRO.  Force your other eye and your brain to do the work.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
nope--I have guns set up for just the bench--That's what my two predatobrs are for.

Like I said--I did drills with both optics---and really found not to really like either of em.
View Quote

Your tools are miss-matched to the task.

If you want something that will complement the accuracy of your rifle, you need to get a scope, with magnification, that will allow you to realize the precision your rifle is capable of.

Red dot sights are for speed.  They are more accurate, up close, than irons....but that's not really the point.  They are faster.  

Faster requires an easier to pick up reticle.  That means larger than is optimal at range.  But up close, that doesn't matter because your target is way larger than the dot.  When the dot is larger than the target, it is much harder to achieve the type of precision you are looking for.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I have traditional optics on just about all my guns. My HD stealth has a trijicon accupoint 1-4
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm one of those that astigmatism keeps me from liking red dots.  Even with my glasses, the dot looks more like a comet to me.  I'm just OCD about it.   I do like my trijicon reflex with a 4 moa amber dot.  I don't have any blooming or star effect with it at all.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I prefer a RDS to any other type of optic, as a civilian. If I were deployed somewhere, I might value 6-8X on a high end for the ability to have superior range/PID.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I like red dots a lot I don't like magnifiers. Extra weight, extra glass, extra air space between optics. I have guns set for close work RDT only, guns set up for medium work 1-4x Elcans and guns set up for distance 3-12 Nikon etc. One gun just can't do all things.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:32:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Love my red dot but like many here have said I get a bloom. Not an issue when close and fast but hard to shoot accurately at a distance...till I bring up my rear buis and use the small aperture. Really helps to make that dot very crisp. Works so well im dumping my flip up rear for a fixed.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like red dots a lot I don't like magnifiers. Extra weight, extra glass, extra air space between optics. I have guns set for close work RDT only, guns set up for medium work 1-4x Elcans and guns set up for distance 3-12 Nikon etc. One gun just can't do all things.
View Quote

I've tried as hard as I can to induce POI shift with my G33 and T2 from magnified to unmagnified, and it simply doesn't exist. The combo of course is skewed heavily toward closer/faster engagement, but I can shoot 1-1.5 MOA groups with it at 100 yards, and that makes it fun when I'm being a fudd and shooting from a bench, and it's also useful to PID things with or pick animals/targets out of "background" clutter.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I love RDS, but I wouldn't put one on a PredatAR.  That screams for a nice 1-6x.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Received my Vortex 1x scope.   Very fast to use with long eye relief.   Havent fired with it yet but it does look like a good replacement for a red dot as far as speed goes.  Crosshairs are fairly thick but not too thick.   Looks brighter than the vast majority of red dots and has a 95 ft field of view at 100 yards.    Price is right for a 9mm carbine.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Well I ordered an accupower 1-4 this morning, im hanging on to my t2 till I get a chance to play with the accupower. For a the price optics planet was offering the scope for, it was a no brainer to try it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I have had a couple of RDS's and they are all right for low light moving targets but I'm getting to prefer the 1-4 and 1-6 power scopes with illuminated cross hairs. I kinda wonder if the fact is your eyes change with age and the dot starts getting a bit out of focus.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm just asking too much, maybe its because I don't kick in doors, I have just found that red dot sights un satisfying.

This has been over a few years, I originally started with an Aimpoint ML2, it was a good sight, and for the rifles I put it on, it suffice with battle rifle work.

Now I have hyper accurate Larues. I feel like its an injustice to limit the rifle to a 2 moa dot.

Yesterday I went to the range with a T2, and a EXPS 2-0 with a magnifier. Mounted both individually on my PredatAr and sighted both in with use of the magnifier. Then did some drills.

At the end of the day I felt like they both kinda sucked. The t2 I found myself looking for the dot, the micro window is too small. (Yes I keep both eyes open) Maybe its just a practice thing, I like many don't get to shoot as often as I used too.

The Eotech, I think its the technology combined with my minor astigmatism but the center dot never really is a perfectly clear dot for me. I actually shot tighter groups with the 2moa micro, than the Exps.

Anyone else just find a RDS lacking for everything you want. I think I may try one of the new accupowers.
View Quote

That's weird and I think it just boils down to everyone being different. I barely notice my T1's housing. I just see a red dot floating above my gun that I put on bad people if I have too. Too small of a sight window or any obfuscation of my entire sight picture doesn't even cross my mind as an issue to me.

Maybe you just need more time adjusting?  Or maybe because you noticed it in the beginning youre fixating on it now and won't let go of it subconsciously.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Agreed. I like my RDS's for plinking paper, but I do prefer a low magnification variable
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I love RDS, but I wouldn't put one on a PredatAR.  That screams for a nice 1-6x.
View Quote

I have the Leupold VX6 1-6 with Illuminated Reticle.  I can turn the IR on or off.   Great scope.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I tried red dots and hated them until I bought a couple of quality sights . Now after using them for 3 years I much prefer them for most of my hunting needs . If I lived on the great plains I doubt they would do me much good . the difference in a red dot with great customer and half the price of a quality optic and the real deal is pretty evident .
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I prefer the Ml3 to the Mepro True - dot RDS, but the Mepro True-dot RDS  over the Eotech.

Unlike the Eotechs, my Mepro does not suck the life out batteries even when turned off.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#33]
My first RDS was an EOTech simply because the name brand was so well known and I thought their reticle was the best. After having to send it back twice for repair work, I decided to switch brands for something I could feel confident in. I tried out red dots from Aimpoint, Burris, Holosun, Primary Arms, and Vortex. I now have two Aimpoint PROs, an Aimpoint Comp M4s, and an Aimpoint T-2. They absolutely serve their purpose and haven't let me down yet. A RDS is superior at cqc and decent out to 500 yards (for my eyes at least). I'd still rather have my ACOG for anything past 100 though. While I try to remain proficient with iron sights, I will use the best tools I have available for the task at hand. Until some new ground breaking technology comes out, I will continue to use Aimpoint as my go-to RDS.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:07:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm one of those that astigmatism keeps me from liking red dots.  Even with my glasses, the dot looks more like a comet to me.  I'm just OCD about it.   I do like my trijicon reflex with a 4 moa amber dot.  I don't have any blooming or star effect with it at all.  
View Quote

I'd like to try some of the trijicon optics, I also have an astigmatism. I looked through an amber rmr with a 4? moa dot and it seemed pretty crisp so I may pick one up. However even with a bad astigmatism and a 2 moa aimpoint, its still faster than anything magnified out to 50 yards I'd say. I have a 1-6 razor, and as much as I love it, to me my HD ar always wears the aimpoint. Used to be eotech, but the small single dot is better with my eyes, plus its always ready. Even with the dot as a blob, its still plenty accurate enough to easily make a head shot inside of 50 yards, and do it faster than a crystal clear magnified optic with (even if its generous) an eye box
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top