Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2015 11:14:39 PM EDT
I have 4 guns I need to put optics on.  2 of them are Steyr AUGs so I need to keep the package small (No bigger than the Vortex 1-6)  .  I would like to use the same optic for all three.  I have a pretty healthy budget but remember if the scope costs $100 more than the others that is an extra $400 I spend because I need 4 of them.

These are going on 5.56 guns that will be shot from CQB out to 400-500 occasionally.  More emphasis on the 0-150 envelope.  I am willing to pay the money for a good piece of glass and they have to be reliable.  This will be used everywhere from lowlight/night shooting to bright sunny days with snow on the ground.

It would be nice if it was light in weight.

What scopes should I be looking at?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Europtic has the Steiner1-4 on sale for 699, cant beat it at that price, daytime bright dot with bdc, excellent glass, big eyebox. You have the new accupoints/accupowers, and NF 1-4's are one of my favorites, the Vortex 1-6's are super nice just heavy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow thats a great price, but that weight tho over 22 oz.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Leupold 1.25-4x20 VX-R Patrol 30mm Riflescope 11.5 Oz

TA-33 7 Oz
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The Burris MTAC is pretty good from my experience although not as much at longer distances due to the reticle style. Can be had under $400, weighs 17 ounces.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is designed for military so it will be heavy. Weight, durability, price... Pick two.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

TA-33 7 Oz
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TA-33 7 Oz

This...the Leupold VXR Patrol is durable, lighter/more compact than comparable 1-4 scopes, very good glass, the firedot is daylight visible, motion activated on / off, and it can be had for around $500.  

I also have an MTAC which I really like as well.  Good glass, durable, and I happen to think the reticle (also daylight visible) is a great compromise/combination of red dot for close range with longer range capabilities (with the BDC).

Both are decent quality optics at a great price...they're also both backed with good warranties.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#7]
The Steiner 1-4 is a really good option and that isn't just because of the price tag. I have a VCOG and a S&B Short Dot.

I think the Steiner is brighter than my VCOG and in the same ball park as an Aimpoint or my Short Dot.

Unlike the Short Dot which has a mil reticle and moa turrets (though the Short Dot's turrets are calibrated for specific loads and work perfectly) the Steiner has mil turrets and a pretty good bdc reticle. The reticle and glass are very clear.  The reticle is simliar to an ACOG where you can use it to range an average mans shoulders. However, the reticle does not hide smaller targets like a 10" plate at 400m. If you need to really go for precision then dial using your mils and use the small and crisp center dot.

The downside on the Steiner is the turrets are a bit mushy and do not lock. It has right around 9.3 mils of elevation.  I don't find the weight to be an issue because it is a magnified optic and those always add weight. Also, the Steiner is rather long so the weight seems evenly dispersed.

Hope this helps

Good luck with your purchase!

ETA: the eyebox for the Steiner is really good too. It is very forgiving about head placement with using the red dot.

I short the below group at around 400 meters on 4x with the Steiner using the 400m hold.  
Shot a 5 round group using 168gr nossler on 4 power measured about 3.5" on steel at 400 meters.
All 5 rounds fired in about a minute or so. I just waited for the steel swinging to slow down

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It is designed for military so it will be heavy. Weight, durability, price... Pick two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have beat the crap out of Leupold scopes over the years. I'm 65 years old and have been hunting with various magnified optics from many manufacturers since a teen in some pretty rough, remote field conditions.  They are typically much lighter than their competition and have held up just fine.  Heavier is not always better.  Some of the heaviest scopes are made by Leapers, UTG and Barska.

I know what you are saying, but the "pick two" thing simply is not accurate.  Some ACOGs weigh under 10 ounces and have a great reputation for durability.

FWIW, I am using a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm Patrol on my SPR build.  Even with the higher magnification larger main tube and objective lens size, it still only weighs 15.3 ounces.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have beat the crap out of Leupold scopes over the years. I'm 65 years old and have been hunting with various magnified optics from many manufacturers since a teen in some pretty rough, remote field conditions.  They are typically much lighter than their competition and have held up just fine.  Heavier is not always better.  Some of the heaviest scopes are made by Leapers, UTG and Barska.

I know what you are saying, but the "pick two" thing simply is not accurate.  Some ACOGs weigh under 10 ounces and have a great reputation for durability.

FWIW, I am using a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm Patrol on my SPR build.  Even with the higher magnification larger main tube and objective lens size, it still only weighs 15.3 ounces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may be true but the leupold is not designed for military and the acog is fixed power?  I don't get how they can be compared to the Steiner? A mark 6 is more of the equivalent at 17oz.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a mk6 too. Sold it. Replaced it with the Steiner 1-4. I think the mk6 is an excellent optic I just couldn't move past the sensitive eye box which can cause a flicker of the red dot. This flicker really bothered me when transitioning between targets. I would lose the dot, but luckily the scope reticle is thick enough to sort of track while on 1x. However, the thicker reticle for me was a problem on 6x at distance. I found that it hid a 10" plate at 400m a little more than I cared for. My philosophy is 100 meters for every power and while the mk6 at 6x helped me see a target the reticle was a little thicker than I prefer.

The mk6 build quality and turrets were great. The turrets were very responsive and had a positive click. I liked a lot of things about the mk6 but I wanted a magnified illuminated optic and I felt like the flicker was a problem for me. I think the mk6 is worth looking into. If you like the reticle and don't find the flicker a problem the mk6 would be an excellent fit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't seen / read any reviews yet , but this looks like a great 1-6 x 24...14.6 oz. Best price I've found is $1,100.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/vx-6-riflescopes/vx-6-1-6x24mm-30mm-multigun-cds/

Cheers
Shannon
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd go with either the Mk6 or the Kahles K16i, K16i being better but more expensive (and yes worth the money).  1-4 is old hat, wouldn't even consider one, VCOG is over priced for what it is, would be a decent option around $1,400 though but not in the same league as the 2 I mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I haven't seen / read any reviews yet , but this looks like a great 1-6 x 24...14.6 oz. Best price I've found is $1,100.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/vx-6-riflescopes/vx-6-1-6x24mm-30mm-multigun-cds/

Cheers
Shannon
View Quote

Yeah I've really been eyeing this trijicon 1-4 since shotshow. The msrp is $900. Nice to see some new 1-4 or 6x quality optics from leupold and trijicon

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=RS24-C-1900006
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm still waiting for something to surpass the VXR patrol, I like the new accupower but again, bigger and heavier, and a reticle that cant compare to the
firedot in terms of versatility and brightness, you really should grab one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#15]
The biggest problem with the leupold is the spr reticle is in 2.5 subtensions, makes it where its hard to guesstimate drops. Also the turrets are too easy to turn and get bumbed out of place too easy. Besides those its a great optic. I would rather have the trijicon accupower mil square. The kahles would be the best. That new 1-6 leupold looks really trick I would look into that and the razor for a little over a grand. I just got a razor and for the price it's a hell of a deal, just about as good as the kahles.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah I've really been eyeing this trijicon 1-4 since shotshow. The msrp is $900. Nice to see some new 1-4 or 6x quality optics from leupold and trijicon

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Shannon

This is what I have been thinking about getting. I was wanting 1-6x, but the trijicon with a green Cirlce BDC reticle looks like a great set up. ANyone have experience with trijicons variable optics glass? I am sure they're super nice, I like my ACOG's glass.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Cheers
Shannon
View Quote

$925 at DSG and right now 10% off of that.

You Fuckers on ARFcom are killing me!!!

I came to ask about 1-4ish and 1-6ish optics, I may just pull the trigger on this Lupy. I was trying to limit my budget to $500, but buy once cry once and all. Also as I get older 1-4 may not be enough.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#18]
See the previous poster's note about the multigun reticle. I'd get the CM-R2 reticle.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I came to ask about 1-4ish and 1-6ish optics, I may just pull the trigger on this Lupy. I was trying to limit my budget to $500, but buy once cry once and all. Also as I get older 1-4 may not be enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Shannon

The one on DSG is the SPR reticle. If you see the CMR2 reticle for $1k please pm me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The one on DSG is the SPR reticle. If you see the CMR2 reticle for $1k please pm me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Shannon

After looking at the two reticles the CM-R2 is nicer.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#21]
swfa ss hd 1-4 or 1-6. The donut of death reticle is great for closer shooting, and the clear glass and excellent eye relief make it great for farther shooting as well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:06:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Shannon

My job is done

Get the CMR2 retical...model #120447

Cheers
Shannon
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Shannon

I got older and found 1-4 was just fine.....
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The biggest problem with the leupold is the spr reticle is in 2.5 subtensions, makes it where its hard to guesstimate drops. Also the turrets are too easy to turn and get bumbed out of place too easy. Besides those its a great optic. I would rather have the trijicon accupower mil square. The kahles would be the best. That new 1-6 leupold looks really trick I would look into that and the razor for a little over a grand. I just got a razor and for the price it's a hell of a deal, just about as good as the kahles.
View Quote

This is a great post.  pretty much says it all.  I only differ slightly.  The Leupold SPR is a compromise reticle intended to maximize close range to 300 yard shooting, and is excellent for that purpose.  Fast target acquisition and uncluttered.  If you want to shoot beyond 300 you do need to know the trajectory of your load and can use the turrets' .1 mil clicks for your hold overs and hold offs.  

While the turrets could be a bit stiffer, the ones on my 3-9x40mm Patrol (identical turrets) are not moving on me.  You can certainly do better, but probably not at the $500-$600 price point.

I have a Kahles 2-7x36 Helia CL hunting scope.  I covet their illuminated tactical scopes and am saving toward one.

Leupold SPR subtensions for two common loads (from the Leupold manual).  There is a typo on the chart.  The second 550 on the left side (for green tip ammo), should be 650.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Another thing I noticed. I could be wrong but it looks like the spr reticle is a second focal plane scope and the Cmr2 is a first focal plane. That might have changed my mind. I really wanted a second focal plane scope.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
swfa ss hd 1-4 or 1-6. The donut of death reticle is great for closer shooting, and the clear glass and excellent eye relief make it great for farther shooting as well.
View Quote

Arguably the best bang for your buck, especially during either the tax day or Black Friday sale.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Remove
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Remove
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Another thing I noticed. I could be wrong but it looks like the spr reticle is a second focal plane scope and the Cmr2 is a first focal plane. That might have changed my mind. I really wanted a second focal plane scope.
View Quote

Yeah I'm not sure the need for FFP on 1-4x or 6x. I shoot mine on 1 or Max power. If I range estimate it's on max. Stadia is too small on a FFP to range with on 1 power anyway. If usIng a SFP instead of a FFP saves money then I wish more companies would pass the savings along.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm not sure the need for FFP on 1-4x or 6x. I shoot mine on 1 or Max power. If I range estimate it's on max. Stadia is too small on a FFP to range with on 1 power anyway. If usIng a SFP instead of a FFP saves money then I wish more companies would pass the savings along.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SFP for sure for a 1-X optic unless you get into the really high dollar range. Reason being is daylight bright illumination, it is very difficult to get a FFP optic bright enough to be daylight bright.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I think a FFP reticle would suck ass on a 1-4 or 6.

Who ranges at2.5X?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think a FFP reticle would suck ass on a 1-4 or 6.

Who ranges at2.5X?
View Quote

Exactly!
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I've heard great things about the Hi-Lux CMR/CMR4 scopes.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top