Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2015 1:23:07 PM EDT
red dots 1/3 vs absolute co witness, which do you prefer and why?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer 1/3 co-witness. For me it's faster to acquire the dot without having the irons in my sight picture. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolute w/the Aimpoint Micro, 1/3 w/everything else.
Tomac
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty much this, applied broadly -- 1/3 on larger RDSs, absolute on the very small ones.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolute w/the Aimpoint Micro, 1/3 w/everything else.

Tomac

Pretty much this, applied broadly -- 1/3 on larger RDSs, absolute on the very small ones.

I agree. But I also normally keep the MBUS folded down so I don't shoot with them both up often

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolute with front and rear folding sights down.  That preserves the intended cheek weld and provides a clear field of view, uncluttered.   It also keeps the optic low and a bit better protected from impact damage. The backups are just that . . for back up if the optic fails.  They don't need to be in the field of view if the dot is working.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
None/ don't care.  

BUIS are BUIS, if I had them, they'd be folded down.

As is on my rifle with fixed sites, the irons and RDS are sighted in and just are where they are.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Lower 1/3 with fixed sights.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I wholeheartedly agree with you guys but im using an LMT rear and an A2 front so they dont fold.  

i was wondering what was wrong with my setup (just got t1), until i realized the rear sight was in the way and wont fold.  

ETA:  i have an absolute mount on my t1 and it looked cluttered.  I changed the rear sight to a folding one and it looks alot better.  With the non folding rear sight i think im gonna stick with the 1/3.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm an "absolute" kind of guy. I recently tried 1/3 and didn't care for it with fixed front/rear.  Also tried it with a folding rear and didn't see the point with a folding rear. The issue for me is the top of the rear peep blocks my view of the dot at times. So now I'm sticking with absolute with folding rear. My only AR with a fixed rear doesn't run a RDS/optic (irons only).
I REALLY wanted to like 1/3 with fixed irons (all sights ready, all the time), but didn't work for me. So I run no RDS/optic with fixed rear, RDS with folding rear, and offset Mbus Pro with optics.
UTG risers are cheap (around $9). "high" for 1/3, and "med" for absolute. Try them out and see which works best for you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I've pondered about this for a while... and done lots of research... but ended up trying both to see what I would like.
In the end it came down to

ABSOLUTE WITH FLIP UPS

1/3 WITH FIXED, OR IF YOU INTEND TO KEEP FLIP UP SIGHTS UP ALL THE TIME

I can't emphasize this enough.

Absolute with fixed front sight is so retarded, at least with micro dots.

It covers up so much view.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Lower 1/3.  I like the optic to reside just a tad on the high side.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:03:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've pondered about this for a while... and done lots of research... but ended up trying both to see what I would like.In the end it came down to

ABSOLUTE WITH FLIP UPS

I can't emphasize this enough.
Absolute with fixed front sight is so retarded, at least with micro dots.
It covers up so much view.
View Quote

No, it doesn't. If you raise your cheek weld to a 1/3 position (while using absolute), the dot will be well above a fixed front sight. IMHO, absolute (with flip down rear) is the best of both worlds: you have same plane dot/irons (when deployed) and 1/3 picture with raised cheek weld (which you'd have to do for 1/3 anyway).
For fixed rear... Yeah I'd not want absolute for that.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:23:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I prefer lower 1/3 on everything, even micros.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Lower 1/3.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the info guys, i have another t1 with a 1/3 larue mount coming that way I can try both heights.  I'll report back here when i get it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Thanks for all the info guys, i have another t1 with a 1/3 larue mount coming that way I can try both heights.  I'll report back here when i get it.
View Quote
When in doubt, get both!

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a micro with 1/3rd and an M2 with absolute and don't really have a preference. Either one works, it's something you just have to try and decide for yourself.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 1:59:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Absolute with my T1
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've pondered about this for a while... and done lots of research... but ended up trying both to see what I would like.In the end it came down to

ABSOLUTE WITH FLIP UPS

View Quote

This man speaks wisdom. Having to change my cheek position in order to avoid having my irons block my sight picture sucks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to be in the absolute camp but am now a 1/3 guy. I like the more natural "heads up" positioning with the 1/3. It's a little more comfortable where I feel like I don't have to crunch up too much.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I use absolute, because I like having some semblance of  a cheek weld.  A proper cheek weld isn't something you can just "raise up" by lifting your head.  You only have it when your neck muscles are completely relaxed and your head is being held up completely by the stock.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top