Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2015 4:03:19 PM EDT
I was sighting my AR down in my woods several days ago (using a Bushnell TSR-25), and when I got back I realized I forgot to put the caps back on the adjustment knobs. Luckily, I found one in my truck bed when I got back to the house, but the other one must have fallen out and I know looking for it in the woods is nothing but a waste of time. I contacted Bushnell and they directed me to the Parts Order Form page of their website. I was shocked to find it would cost me $8.50 (including shipping) to get a replacement windage cap.

On a side note, getting an elevation cap would cost a buck less; what's up with that? Aren't they the exact same part?

Anyway, I'm not sure if there's anything else that can be done in this situation, or if I need to just suck it up and buy a replacement. I know it's my own stupid fault, but I just can't seem to justify spending eight bucks for a little piece of plastic. This may be a stupid question, but is the cap really necessary? I would think without the cap, dirt could get in or it could be bumped and mess up the zero, which I suppose answers my own question.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Its expensive for a part, but very cheap for a lesson.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
If nothing else, you could put a bolt cap on there or something, they only cost a few cents.  Better than nothing.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I realize you already have the optic and it is a dandy little basic red dot for its purposes.

But, one of the reasons I paid a bit more for my Lucid M7 microdot and HD7 full size red dot is that they, like many others, now have all their caps, both turrets and battery compartment tethered with plastic covered wire.  Can't lose those.

While that is no need to ditch the TRS-25, perhaps next time you shop for a red dot, give thought to the seemingly insignificant value of tethered caps.

Sorry.  But, the photo above of a plastic bolt cap or maybe a vacuum line cap would serve rather than having to pony up $7-8 plus shipping.  That is outrageous.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Bushnell outlet and shipping and corporate center is near my office. Lemme see what I can do. Pm me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
The caps are identical as best as I can tell.  I inspected and swapped mine just now to check.  You know what I would do in your shoes?  Cover it with a piece of plastic or rubber, maybe a piece of those nitrile work gloves, and hold it in place with a rubber band.  You could probably even use the o-ring that should still be in place.

Whenever I am sighting optics in, unless they are tethered, I always take the caps and lens covers off and put them in my shooting bag.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bushnell outlet and shipping and corporate center is near my office. Lemme see what I can do. Pm me.
View Quote

Says your inbox is full. But if you wouldn't mind seeing what you can find out from Bushnell that would be awesome, assuming it's not too far out of your way. Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Shipping is probably 3-5 buck, most places charge $13-14 so that actually is pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shipping is probably 3-5 bucks, most places charge $13-14 so that actually is pretty cheap.

View Quote

Yep, I came to the same conclusion, plus factor in your time. Seems cheap to me. For the lesson and the part.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#9]
$8 is not that bad......
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:55:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I had an eyepiece on a midrange pair of their binoculars come off in the field.  A trip to Bushnell HQ resulted in a complete replacement of the unit no questions asked.  Maybe that will work out for you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If nothing else, you could put a bolt cap on there or something, they only cost a few cents.  Better than nothing.

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/008236/008236714319lg.jpg  
View Quote

Haha! This was my FIRST though as to what I would do!
ETA: you could trim it down to fit pretty flush. Wouldn't be as easy to get off, but how often are you zeroing it? If you needed to, just slice it off and put another one on when you're done.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:11:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Its 8.50 shipped and youre conplaining?

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#13]
The caps don't seem to be any different on my TRS-25.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top