Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2015 7:52:57 PM EDT
Was looking for an optic for my SCAR-16, and after comparing the specs of the T-1 vs the T-2 why should I shell out the cash for the T-2?  It's a little heavier and a little longer with the same settings & battery life.

Sure, it looks newer and a little sleeker but that isn't enticing me to drop almost another $100 for it.  I have a T-1, put it on that SCAR quick and like it there.

http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/product-comparison/

Edit:  Guess I should have googled first.  Aimpoint's product description sucks.  Supposedly better optic clarity & more rugged.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/10/daniel-zimmerman/new-aimpoint-micro-t-2-sight/
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the T-1.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The rumor is that if you have an astigmatism and regular red dot sites "bloom" into larger uneven dots; that the T-2 corrects that issue somehow.

If i had to buy another red dot tomorrow, I would grab a T-2 but I am not running out to trade in my T-1s in to replace them with T-2s.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The rumor is that if you have an astigmatism and regular red dot sites "bloom" into larger uneven dots; that the T-2 corrects that issue somehow.

If i had to buy another red dot tomorrow, I would grab a T-2 but I am not running out to trade in my T-1s in to replace them with T-2s.
View Quote

I have a T-1, but it's staying where it's at.  I like the weight savings over the larger Aimpoints, so another T-1 or T-2 is where I'm at.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I prefer the T-1.

View Quote

And why is that?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And why is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I prefer the T-1.

And why is that?

+1
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I prefer the T-1.

And why is that?

+1

I would say, if he is like me, he thinks the T1 is great and the extra money for the T2 isn't worth it
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I noticed that they caused a shift in how I viewed iron sights through my optic....with 3 separate T2's.

If you zero the irons with the T2 in place, use them that way.  If you zero the irons with no optic in place, shoot them that way.  Otherwise I notced a 3-6 inch shift in groups at 50 yards.  Repeated with 3 T2s, multiple shooters, some of which are on the USAR shooting team.

They have an issue to fix.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I noticed that they caused a shift in how I viewed iron sights through my optic....with 3 separate T2's.

If you zero the irons with the T2 in place, use them that way.  If you zero the irons with no optic in place, shoot them that way.  Otherwise I notced a 3-6 inch shift in groups at 50 yards.  Repeated with 3 T2s, multiple shooters, some of which are on the USAR shooting team.

View Quote

I tested and did not note this issue. I question head placement etc. As always. Ymmv.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I went from the T-1 to the T-2 for one reason: To able to use a magnifier. The T-1, in conjunction with both the Aimpoint and Eotech G33 magnifiers, had a "dot" that looked like a sausage and covered about 5 MOA. Zero'ing was a mess. And this was the same for six other guys and myself who tried these combos. The adjustments on the G33 helped a bit but still not satisfactory. The T-2 fixed that. Clear, round dot with either magnifier.

Are the the optics of the T-2 "clearer and crisper"? A bit, I suppose. But any difference is academic and IMHO the practical effect on target identification and hit probability is zero, zip, nada.

The flip up covers might be nice for some. Not of much practical use here in the desert southwest but, might be useful for the guys in harsher climes.

In short, unless you're planning on using a magnifier I'd go with the T-1 and use the surplus $ on ammo.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]
T2 for magnifier use. A world of difference! If no magnifier use, might as well stick with T-1

Quoted:
I went from the T-1 to the T-2 for one reason: To able to use a magnifier. The T-1, in conjunction with both the Aimpoint and Eotech G33 magnifiers, had a "dot" that looked like a sausage and covered about 5 MOA. Zero'ing was a mess. And this was the same for six other guys and myself who tried these combos. The adjustments on the G33 helped a bit but still not satisfactory. The T-2 fixed that. Clear, round dot with either magnifier.

Are the the optics of the T-2 "clearer and crisper"? A bit, I suppose. But any difference is academic and IMHO the practical effect on target identification and hit probability is zero, zip, nada.

The flip up covers might be nice for some. Not of much practical use here in the desert southwest but, might be useful for the guys in harsher climes.

In short, unless you're planning on using a magnifier I'd go with the T-1 and use the surplus $ on ammo.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I tested and did not note this issue. I question head placement etc. As always. Ymmv.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was questioning what I was doing wrong too.

Thats why I brought in other shooters with a background with iron sights that blows mine out of the water.

I also was able to replicate the issue with visible lasers, so you can test it without having to fire a round.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
T2 for magnifier use. A world of difference! If no magnifier use, might as well stick with T-1

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I do have one Aimpoint magnifier that I will probably use on it as well.  I tried my T-1 with it also got a sausage looking dot, with one of my M4s as well.  Thought it was my eyes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I have no intention on using a magnifier with the RDS.  Neither the T1 or H1 has let me down.  The bluish tint never bothered me and never had an issue with the dot itself.  I'd rather save the extra $ and go with a T1.  In fact I did.  Again.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:50:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thats why I brought in other shooters with a background with iron sights that blows mine out of the water.

I also was able to replicate the issue with visible lasers, so you can test it without having to fire a round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, here are my test targets fired at 50 yards with irons, and with irons through a turned-off T2.

My irons are off, yes, and I could tighten that up a touch ( was getting about 1-1.5" from this ammo with the RDS+MAG), but I am not getting a 3-6" POI shift. Groups shot at 50. True 1" grid.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#15]
The T2 has better/sharper glass and is much better with a magnifier. Those are pretty much the advantages.

I haven't sold any of my T1s to replace them with T2s, but my last two RDS purchases have been T2s.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I got a stupid good deal on a t2 and sold off my t1.

The t2 is clearer, I only see a dot now, instead of a dot wit ha tear drop. The covers are nice. And yes I will be running a magnifier.

My only complaint about the t2, is that because they re angled the glass, you don't see a perfectly round circle of glass when looking through the optic, its a slightly oblong oval.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The T2 has better/sharper glass and is much better with a magnifier. Those are pretty much the advantages.

I haven't sold any of my T1s to replace them with T2s, but my last two RDS purchases have been T2s.
View Quote

I honestly can't tell much difference, if any, between the T1 and T2 without a magnifier. With the magnifier, though, the difference is profound.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I got a stupid good deal on a t2 and sold off my t1.

The t2 is clearer, I only see a dot now, instead of a dot wit ha tear drop. The covers are nice. And yes I will be running a magnifier.

My only complaint about the t2, is that because they re angled the glass, you don't see a perfectly round circle of glass when looking through the optic, its a slightly oblong oval.
View Quote

One thing to also be aware of is with brightness turned up high for ambient light conditions, you will see more internal reflection around the dot that is the diode housing. Especially notable with magnifier. It does not hamper function, but some OCD types will complain about it until they actually use it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#19]
In the past I've seen my fair share of H1s and T1s with illumination adjustment dials which rotated easily and did not have a click adjustment that was as positive as say the similarly designed PA micro dots.  I think Aimpoint must have recently addressed this.  The T1 I recently purchased from PA seems to have a more positive click adjustment between illumination settings.  Not that it was that big a deal before, but it does feel much better than other H1s and T1s I've used.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Was looking for an optic for my SCAR-16, and after comparing the specs of the T-1 vs the T-2 why should I shell out the cash for the T-2?  It's a little heavier and a little longer with the same settings & battery life.

Sure, it looks newer and a little sleeker but that isn't enticing me to drop almost another $100 for it.  I have a T-1, put it on that SCAR quick and like it there.

http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/product-comparison/

Edit:  Guess I should have googled first.  Aimpoint's product description sucks.  Supposedly better optic clarity & more rugged.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/10/daniel-zimmerman/new-aimpoint-micro-t-2-sight/
View Quote

I have both, this is a subjective question and some will swear it is better than the T1 in certain situations such as with magnification. I will agree that with my magnifier the T2 is very worth it but other than that it is slightly clearer and slightly a more defined dot but I would save the money unless you are planning on magnifying... Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Ordered a T-2 from LaRue, but they are backordered.  

Will be using it with a magnifier so seems worth it.  Thanks for the info everyone!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top