Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2015 8:55:16 PM EDT
Hey guys, so Im looking at a couple different scopes. The Vortex and the SWFA . They are about the same price, but the SWFA is FFP, whereas the Vortex is SFP. I already have the 3-9x42 by SWFA (FFP) but haven’t mounted it yet. The scope that i decide on here will either go on my AR10, or Savage 300 mag bolt action. Which one, and why would you chose one out of these two?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Vortex has nicer turrets.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]
TBD..........................

TTC
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Way better turrets.  SWFA's are pretty mushy.  At least they are on my 3-15
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This.  Way better turrets.  SWFA's are pretty mushy.  At least they are on my 3-15
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yea, on my 3-9 they dont have the audible *click* i was expecting. After sleeping on it, the vortex does seem a better deal. thanks for the input guys.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

yea, on my 3-9 they dont have the audible *click* i was expecting. After sleeping on it, the vortex does seem a better deal. thanks for the input guys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do yourself a huge favor.  Check the Vortex demo page at www.Cameralandny.com  Thank me later.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
A 6-24x50 and a 3-15x42 are not the same at all.  Vastly different capabilities, limitations, and suitable uses.  Apples and oranges.  What are you really wanting to do with the scope?  Intended range of uses and primary use?  I understand the AR10 and the 300 Win Mag bolt gun, but how would each be used?

6-24x50 scopes frequently have sunshades on the objective lens, which increases overall length. They are used to decrease glare, which is more pronounced at high power, and to mitigate mirage.  Once the shade is added (which I highly recommend), the scope can actually interfere with the front sight on some shorter barreled AR's.  I don't know the length of the barrel of your AR10 or whether it has secondary sights.

If you are familiar with such scopes, I apologize for raising the issue.  I just wanted to make sure you were aware.   I use such a scope for 5.56 load development and certain precision shooting on an AR15.  It is superb in a limited role for which it is intended, but it dominates the rifle once mounted and certainly alters the weight and handling of the rifle. It was formerly on a Sako bolt gun chambered in 6mm Remington for varmint shooting.  I'm looking for a replacement to put on the Sako.   I use lower more mid-powered scopes for general use. Even on my Weatherby Mark V 300 Weatherby Magnum, my scope is only a 4-12x

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A 6-24x50 and a 3-15x42 are not the same at all.  Vastly different capabilities, limitations, and suitable uses.  Apples and oranges.  What are you really wanting to do with the scope?  Intended range of uses and primary use?
View Quote

Mostly hunting, but if the rifle can get me out to 6-700 yards, I want a scope that can keep up as well. Probably gonna be a good amount of paper punching too
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Mostly hunting, but if the rifle can get me out to 6-700 yards, I want a scope that can keep up as well. Probably gonna be a good amount of paper punching too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 6-24x50 and a 3-15x42 are not the same at all.  Vastly different capabilities, limitations, and suitable uses.  Apples and oranges.  What are you really wanting to do with the scope?  Intended range of uses and primary use?

Please see edits and additions to my post above made while you were responding.  Depending on the size of targets you intend to shoot at, much lower powered scopes can "keep up."  But if it is power you want and don't mind the bulk and weight and limitation on the low end (extremely compromised field of view and close focus) then 6-24x has its place.   Of the two, I would prefer the increased versatility of the 3-15x42 for hunting unless the targets are very tiny (small varmints), although I do not know much about the optical clarity of the SWFA scope.  Note in the photo that the big scope is QD mounted, as it is not the primary optic for that rifle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I definitely appreciate all of the info! You brought up a lot of good points. I also found out vortex gives quite a deal to LEO/MIL, so I might go with a lower power, but higher quality vortex. As far as front sights, I've got the third gen front flip ups by magpul.

How about the 4-16x44 HS-T? Its similar to the swfa, and I'd like to be able to use my discount! What you said about the field of view is pretty accurate too, as well as weight. My 308 already weighs a ton (21 inch barrel) and I'd like to keep her on a diet if at all possible.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:37:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Out of all the scopes the OP mentioned, I like the 3-9 the best. SWFA 3-15 might as well be a different brand as it is made by a different factory and the only thing it shares with the 3-9 is the appearance. The 3-9 and other HD models are of much higher quality than their SS line. If you are disappointed by the clicks on the 3-9, then you will hate the turrets on the 3-15.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:40:17 AM EDT
[#11]
They are both Chinee shit so whats the issue? Save up some money
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:43:37 AM EDT
[#12]
SWFA
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:09:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do yourself a huge favor.  Check the Vortex demo page at www.Cameralandny.com  Thank me later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And when your done LOOKING at those demos, go on  over to liberty optics page and check out the prices on NEW vortex optics, you will thank me later, sorry mang
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Out of all the scopes the OP mentioned, I like the 3-9 the best. SWFA 3-15 might as well be a different brand as it is made by a different factory and the only thing it shares with the 3-9 is the appearance. The 3-9 and other HD models are of much higher quality than their SS line. If you are disappointed by the clicks on the 3-9, then you will hate the turrets on the 3-15.
View Quote

I always wondered how big of a difference they were, so I guess I know not to go with the SS line. I'm not terribly disappointed with them, but I definitely think they could've done better.

I get a bigger discount through vortex LEO/MIL than I can at that camera land website, even though they do have some awesome deals.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]
When shopping, just remember that at a particular price point you almost always get better glass and corresponding resolution (ability to see fine detail) and contrast with an equally priced scope with lower magnification.  As power goes up compromises  happen in clarity because it becomes more difficult to maintain image quality without increasing cost.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top