Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/26/2015 1:35:21 AM EDT
So I'm looking to get a higher power scope then my current 1-6x for target shooting ... I prefer to see more paper and target in turn wanting more magnification.

I think I'm going to get a Bushnell scope (calibrated for standard 55g .223) and there are two options ...

3-12x40
Or
4.5-18x40

And fyi the 18x costs no more then the 12x I can get it for the same price!!!

Is there going to be a huge advantage with the 18 over the 12 or will it just get a bit blurry anyway past the 10-12 range?

I want to be able to see the target clearly and bullet hits at 100yds and still see the target well at 200-50 as well.

I am not familiar with optics much at all do any feedback you can provide would be great.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Higher power optics are a strain on optical quality.  Generally, if you go up in power, you need much better glass to have as clear image as with lower powered scopes.  Keep that in mind.  Yes, a cheap 18x will just get blurry at high power.  A good one will not.  The $200 Bushnell 18x is likely to be disappointing.   Your 3-12 is reasonable for a general purpose scope, and may represent the practical upper limit of what you really need.   3x on the low end will somewhat limit your ability to shoot up close.  I have a 3-9x40mm Leupold VX-R Patrol that is serving me very well and with its mil/mil turrets and reticle is good out to 500 yards and can shoot right at 1 MOA groups at 100 yards with its particular reticle.   Do you really need more than that?  Ask yourself that question..

For precision work, you do need higher power.  There is a serious trade off.  If you want to limit your shooting to paper, then get a real target scope, which would probably be at least 18x on the top end, preferably 24x or even higher, with real 1/8' click tall target turrets and a target (read:  fine) reticle.   These specialized scopes are more expensive.  Don't get cheap glass in this power range or you will be really, really, disappointed.

I do have a QD mounted target scope that I use just for load development for my hand loads, and for purely target work.  It is a 6-24x50mm Pentax Lightseeker 30, which is actually a made in USA rebranded Burris Black Diamond, using Japanese Asahi Pentax (very good) glass.   It is heavy, long, and bulky, especially with the sunshade which is needed at higher powers.  The turrets, because of the 1/8" clicks at 100 yards, are extremely precise, and track very well in both directions, but take many, many clicks to make meaningful movement of the point of impact.

I'm attaching a photo of that setup so that you can see that it is (1) impractical for all but paper punching from a bench rest, and (2) pretty ridiculous looking on an AR.  It is very limited in its use.  It has a very narrow field of view.  And no, the shade is not touching the folded front sight, but misses it only by about 1/16".  This is also a very high mount.  But it is fantastic for punching closely grouped holes in paper at any range you want.

Be careful about what you want.  Don't go up to 18x unless you really need it, and if you do, consider a larger objective lens, as your exit pupil at 18x with only a 40mm objective will be a very narrow 2.2mm.  You will have to be exactly centered in your eyepiece and the scope will perform very poorly in low light.  But for shooting small groups on paper, or shooting way, way off at known pre-sighted in distances in good light, it is great.  Field adjusting these turrets "on the fly" for varying distances is a nightmare.  Target scopes are just that -- target scopes.  They are poor at other things.  It is QD'd because it is not considered by me to be a primary optic and usually stays in the safe.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:22:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Increased magnification will may it tougher to manage when shooting groups.  Every bump, heartbeat, shift, etc...will move your reticle all over the place.  Additionally, you will start to have issues when shooting out to distance over 15x or so (mirage affect).  MS556 is right on the money about optic quality.  You might consider a 10x fixed power scope if you're not planning on anything inside of 100 yards.  You'll find that you can afford better quality optics for the price.  If you want variable magnification, then stick to a more manageable range that you can hold focus and not loose substantial image quality.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Too much scope for that range.  A 1-4 to 1-6 is all you need.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I'm looking to get a higher power scope then my current 1-6x for target shooting ... I prefer to see more paper and target in turn wanting more magnification.

I think I'm going to get a Bushnell scope (calibrated for standard 55g .223) and there are two options ...

3-12x40
Or
4.5-18x40

And fyi the 18x costs no more then the 12x I can get it for the same price!!!

Is there going to be a huge advantage with the 18 over the 12 or will it just get a bit blurry anyway past the 10-12 range?

I want to be able to see the target clearly and bullet hits at 100yds and still see the target well at 200-50 as well.

I am not familiar with optics much at all do any feedback you can provide would be great.
View Quote

What is your price range?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What is your price range?
View Quote

I was trying to stay in the 200'ish range

I ordered a new scope already yesterday

The Primary Arms 4-14x44 First Focal Plane (FFP) came back in stock so I jumped on it for $230

Tons and tons of great reviews and many guys who know much more then me really recommended it for a budget optic that has most of the premium extras (FFP, parallax adjustment, mil/mil adjustment turrets, etc.)

Should be here by the end of the week and I hope to get it on the range this or next weekend to give it a go.

I already have their 1-6 ACSS so I am confident in PA since this will be my third scope from them over the last year.

Thanks for the replies guys ... I think I found exactly what I needed in this PA 1-14 :)
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top