Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/25/2015 10:22:27 PM EDT
Now I'm not an idiot I know they are obviously better optics, but I'm not going to Afghanistan and as far as a fun range/hunting gun is it really worth the extra money? I know they don't come with the lifetime guarantees
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are only using it for the range and not personal defense or survival. Cheaper versions of dot sights are perfectly fine.

You could go broke buying Eotech and M68 Aimpoint sights for everything. I myself, use cheaper versions when it is going onto something that should never be anticipated to be used in combat.

On the other hand, you never know when something may need to be pressed into service. A Vortex red dot that looks and functions like an Aimpoint could be a great tool on an airsoft version of the real thing. Or even the real steel firearm as well.

I have even had the cheap BSA dots work well on 22's.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, aimpoint/eotech is more rugged, reliable and better made than vortex.
That being said, for a range gun, or any gun your life doesn't depend on, it'll do just fine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRC Vortex has a lifetime warranty, and a good one at that from what I can find out.  Unlike a lot of other companies they actually do make some rather expensive and high quality optics along side their cheaper line.  While they don't yet have the reputation for quality that Aimpoint or EOTech or any other big name optics company has, and while they are made in China as a cost saving measure, I think you are good to go on them.  Look at Primary Arms.  They are all Chinese manufactured scopes, but they all are high quality and have a great warranty.  Their reputation is also growing stronger by the day.

It might not be a go to war option, but as a recreational optic I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#4]
The dot on my. Vortex SPARC II is a comma, not a crisp dot like on my Aimpoint PROs. This is not an anomaly, as several others have also reported this.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:43:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I've owned all three. The one I like the most is the vortex strikefire. Once had my rifle fall off a table directly onto the scope and picked it right back up and it ran as if nothing had ever happened. My biggest complaint about the aim point is the 10 clicks on the PRO that it took to find a brightness level that was good enough to use. That and if I had dropped it off a table I would be mad at myself for scratching the scope. The eotech is not really in the same category as the other two. It is a holographic sight and it's pretty nice in that aspect. I like mine a lot. But price, value, and excellent durability make me lean towards the vortex and it holds it point of impact like the others no problem.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:45:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had great luck with vortex...real attractive warantee too
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've owned all three. The one I like the most is the vortex strikefire. Once had my rifle fall off a table directly onto the scope and picked it right back up and it ran as if nothing had ever happened. My biggest complaint about the aim point is the 10 clicks on the PRO that it took to find a brightness level that was good enough to use. That and if I had dropped it off a table I would be mad at myself for scratching the scope. The eotech is not really in the same category as the other two. It is a holographic sight and it's pretty nice in that aspect. I like mine a lot. But price, value, and excellent durability make me lean towards the vortex and it holds it point of impact like the others no problem.
View Quote

Just to throw it out there, the reason the Aimpoint has so many intensity settings is because some are used for weapon mounted NV.  The extra settings are a feature, not a detractor.  

As to everything else, I can't say I disagree.  I still believe the Aimpoint or Eotech will be worlds better in the durability department, but for a gun used strictly for the range/plinking or light hunting, that extra durability most likely isn't needed.  

The Vortex warranty is also a huge plus if it does manage to break because it isn't as durable as the more expensive options.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#8]
My view is save up and buy 1 Aimpoint/Eotech or ACOG for whatever your primary HD/SHTF rifle is. Then, go Vortex/PA etc. for everything else.

The PA MD-ADS might change my mind on that advice, the torture test on an AK dragged behind a truck was brutal and it has 50k battery life.  I don't own one, but it will be the next RDS I purchase.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IIRC Vortex has a lifetime warranty, and a good one at that from what I can find out.  Unlike a lot of other companies they actually do make some rather expensive and high quality optics along side their cheaper line.  While they don't yet have the reputation for quality that Aimpoint or EOTech or any other big name optics company has, and while they are made in China as a cost saving measure, I think you are good to go on them.  Look at Primary Arms.  They are all Chinese manufactured scopes, but they all are high quality and have a great warranty.  Their reputation is also growing stronger by the day.

It might not be a go to war option, but as a recreational optic I don't think you'll be disappointed.
View Quote

Not entirely correct. Yes, Vortex top end is Japanese glass.  But some of their economy line optics are also manufactured in the Philippines, not just China.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top