Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2014 8:40:20 PM EDT
Made it real easy to figure out which scope i want, Bushnell AR 3-9x40..
And thank-you for steering me away from that gimmicky UTG junk..

play with this for hours..
http://www.scopecalc.com/
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You're welcome.  The calculator is a good beginning, but it is only theoretical, and just a beginning for low light performance. The quality of the glass and of the lens coatings and whether the coatings are applied to all lens surfaces matters greatly, as do antireflective darkening of the lens edges and tube internals to maximize low light performance.  These values affect light transmission per lens and total.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quality scope manufacturers are able to use a smaller objective lens and still have the same or better optical quality than a cheap scope with a large objective (UTG 4-16x56).
Made a simple rule for me to follow, the (4:1 or less) rule states the maximum zoom factor must be 25% or less of the total objective lens size so a 40mm objective lens scope can't have more than 10x magnification, this rule seems to work well for me and guarantees a bright field of view at maximum magnification, exit pupil size and perceived brightness is the key factor.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#3]
That 4:1 rule means having only a 4mm exit pupil at max power on a 10x scope.  Your eye pupil should open up to at least 5mm in low light.  While a 40mm objective works reasonably well at 9x (4.5mm exit pupil), at 10x you will notice some dimming of the image, some loss of fine detail and some lowering of contrast.  That is with good glass. Lesser glass will poop out sooner.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top