Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2014 1:26:17 PM EDT
I'm new to the AR-15 world and mine has iron sights. Eventually I want to get a red dot, maybe with a magnifier. It has an A2-style gas block and front sight. Would it be worth getting a low-profile gas block with a rail on it and switching to a flip-up front sight? If so, what parts/brands should I be looking at?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#1]
A2 front sight post is good to go, doesn't get in the way of optics in my experience mostly with M68 CCO's, Eotechs and ACOG's.

In my opinion it would not be worth chopping it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like my PRI front flip up with trijicon insert.

Both rifles have PRI front flip up and Wilson Combat Rear flip up.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep the A2 it is heavy duty, it will not interfere with red dot or scope. You can also choose a absolute or lower 1/3 cowitness mount.

Or at least try it before removing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd certainly want to try it first, but it seems to me the A2 front sight would be a distraction through a reflex sight? I've never used one so I can't say for sure, just trying to do some research and see what other people have to say.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Read this thread it will help your understanding.

For me it aids in sighting more than distracting.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I run a fsb with aimpoint pro. Lower 1/3. Works great.  Dont know if it is worth changing out. I like it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd certainly want to try it first, but it seems to me the A2 front sight would be a distraction through a reflex sight? I've never used one so I can't say for sure, just trying to do some research and see what other people have to say.
View Quote

You won't notice it, particularly if you go with a lower 1/3 co-witness mount (for a red dot type sight).  The front sight base will effectively disappear with a magnified optic.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Keep the A2 it is heavy duty, it will not interfere with red dot or scope. You can also choose a absolute or lower 1/3 cowitness mount.

Or at least try it before removing.
View Quote

ALL THIS.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Lower 1/3 cowitness definitely looks like it would alleviate my concerns. Is that a function of the sight/optic, or would I need some kind of riser for the optic?

Also, I haven't made a decision on what optic I get. I may get a Sightmark 14000 which looks like it would do what I want without breaking the bank, or see if I can get a secondhand Eotech...but this is months away at best. Just want to make aiming at short range a little quicker, definitely won't be doing much past 100 yards with this gun.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd take a pass on the Sightmark and looks towards Primary Arms.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, Primary Arms looks pretty comparable to Sightmark as far as price, but I also noticed their specifications list 500+ hour battery life versus Sightmark's measly 25 hours.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks, Primary Arms looks pretty comparable to Sightmark as far as price, but I also noticed their specifications list 500+ hour battery life versus Sightmark's measly 25 hours.
View Quote

Primary arms has a sight with 50,000 hours now. Md-ads.

As for your initial concern I'd keep the a2 sight and go lower 1/3 cowitness with a rail that has cut outs for the sight post. Sometimes called an extended rail.  That way you can still get a 9,11, or 15 inch rail if you want.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm new to the AR stuff I put on a eoteck exps2  1/3 co witness seems fine to me . I was thinking same thing until I shot it.
I'll keep the stock front sight and put money towards a g33 magnifier .
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm new to the AR-15 world and mine has iron sights. Eventually I want to get a red dot, maybe with a magnifier. It has an A2-style gas block and front sight. Would it be worth getting a low-profile gas block with a rail on it and switching to a flip-up front sight? If so, what parts/brands should I be looking at?
View Quote

I have a YHM gas block flip front sight combo. It gets hot quick and flipping it up after 100 - 150 rnds may leave some skin on the sight.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Stay clear of Sightmark.  You are not likely to find even one single favorable report on it here.  There are quite a few under $200 red dots here that get consistently high marks.  PA's micro and Bushnell TRS-25 micro are most commonly mentioned.  My favorite in that class is the Lucid M7.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#16]
For just a red dot I prefer to have iron sights but with RDS and a magnifier I prefer flip ups.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd take a pass on the Sightmark and looks towards Primary Arms.
View Quote

Yes this^^^^^. Sightmark magnifier 3x isn't bad for the money, but their red dots are nothing but problems. Learn from the mistakes of others!

Doc
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top