Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/25/2014 10:05:03 PM EDT
I'm looking at throwing a Tasco 3-9X with a one piece Millet mount on my M4 that has a MaTech on it, in general do most eye bells (is that the term) clear over the MaTech?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#2]
yes it should clear . I have an acog on a colt rifle with matech buis and a beowulf that has a 1.5x6 mounted in a millet mount . I just measured both and it looks like the millet would clear by about .5 inches
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Its purely a mathematical calculation.  Five steps.

1.  You must know how high the MaTech is above the rail top.  Measure that or look it up.  Write it down.  

2.  You must know how high the centerline of the Millet mount is -- the centerline -- above the rail.  Measure it or look it up and write it down.  

3.  You must know the outside diameter of that Tasco scope.  If you have it, measure it and write it down.  If you don't know, see if Tasco lists the specs.  You want to the outside diameter of the eyepiece, not the lens size.   Get it and write it down.

You now have three numbers.

4. Now, you start out with the notion that one half of the eyepiece extends below the centerline of the mount.  So you take the eyepiece diameter (step 3) and divide by two.  Write down that number.  

5. Subtract this last number (step 4) you wrote down from the the number you wrote down for the distance from centerline of the mount to the top of the rail (step 2)  That is how far the bottom of the scope eyepiece will be from the top of the rail. Write this down.  

If that number (step 5) is MORE than the height of the MaTech, (step 1) then your eyepice is higher than the MaTech and will not hit the MaTech.  If it is LESS, you will either need to use a higher mount, or a different and lower folded rear sight.

You can use this procedure with any scope, any mount, and any rear sight.  Just plug in the specific information for each.

As long as you measure with good calipers or have good info from the manufacturers and write the numbers down as you go, this is easy, and the math is very simple.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top