Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2014 10:43:41 AM EDT
I love my eotechs
65 moa ring is super easy to pick up on, with a 1 moa dot for precision, plus i can use the 65 moa ring for ranging
i tried just the dot before, i find it really hard to pick up on quickly

my question is why don't more "cheaper" red dots follow suit? ie vortex red dot, primary arms,
are there others that use something more than just the dot?

you can argue that the "dot" is better until your blue in the face but there are alot of people running eotechs,
so there is a good chunk of people that like reticles better than just the dot
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I may be wrong, but red dots are meant for close quarters, quick acquisition engagements. Therefore, it would make sense for the reticle to be as simple as possible to prevent any distraction, deviation, loss of focus... red dots aren't meant to "range"
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I love my eotechs
65 moa ring is super easy to pick up on, with a 1 moa dot for precision, plus i can use the 65 moa ring for ranging

my question is why don't more "cheaper" red dots follow suit? ie vortex red dot, primary arms,

you can argue that the "dot" is better until your blue in the face but there are alot of people running eotechs,
View Quote

A red dot sight is already a very specialized optic. It is designed for CQB.  Holosun is coming out with an "Eotech" reticle. Lucid already has a few reticles out. Vortex has an "Eotech" like reticle in there prism optics so does Leopold.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I may be wrong, but red dots are meant for close quarters, quick acquisition engagements. Therefore, it would make sense for the reticle to be as simple as possible to prevent any distraction, deviation, loss of focus... red dots aren't meant to "range"
View Quote

i hear your point, but its easier for me to pick up on the ring than just a small dot, and i like to be able use my red dot sight at longer distances if need be also
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A red dot sight is already a very specialized optic. It is designed for CQB.  Holosun is coming out with an "Eotech" reticle. Lucid already has a few reticles out. Vortex has an "Eotech" like reticle in there prism optics so does Leopold.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my eotechs

ill take a look at them,
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

ill take a look at them,
Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my eotechs

ill take a look at them,
Thanks!

I have three Lucid red dots, an HD7 and two M7s.  I like the EOTech like circle dot reticle they offer.  It makes for more rapid target acquisition in CQB.  That is not for ranging.

To further answer the question, one reason some manufacturers prefer the simple single dot is battery life.  It takes more power to light up a larger reticle.   I think that is one reason (beyond diode style) that Aimpoint has such long battery life and why it is resistant to going to a more rapid acquisition circle dot style.

I like the circle dot and will sacrifice some battery life for its ability to rapidly center on a human sized target without getting lost.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have three Lucid red dots, an HD7 and two M7s.  I like the EOTech like circle dot reticle they offer.  It makes for more rapid target acquisition in CQB.  That is not for ranging.

To further answer the question, one reason some manufacturers prefer the simple single dot is battery life.  It takes more power to light up a larger reticle.   I think that is one reason (beyond diode style) that Aimpoint has such long battery life and why it is resistant to going to a more rapid acquisition circle dot style.

I like the circle dot and will sacrifice some battery life for its ability to rapidly center on a human sized target without getting lost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my eotechs

ill take a look at them,
Thanks!

amen, thats the answer i was looking for!!!
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:10:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love my eotechs

View Quote

They use different technologies.  EOTech sights are holographic.  Most "red dot" sights are LED.  http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-red-dot-and-holographic-sights/
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top