Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2014 11:31:36 PM EDT
I am having issues with zeroing in with these BUIS. I bought the set and have them installed firmly on a flat top setup without play in handguard. Front sight is on the hand rail and not the gas block. I've dropped the front sight to lowest setting, and still 3 inches low at 25 yards and 4 inches low at 50. Using the smaller aperture and have tried CLP/disassembling the front sight to see if it should go lower. No luck. I have a 13 inch rail and 16 in barrel. Found the following previews post with same issue. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=611598
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
what rear sight?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:18:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe they use regular AR sight posts. You could grind a few thousands off the top of one.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:17:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the rail on straight?  Remove everything off of the top rail of the hand guard and receiver and lay it top down on a perfectly flat surface to check.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 4:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Rear sight is Troy micro as well. Got them brand new as a set from PA. Rail has been checked. It's on there straight/level. I may have to take off some of the material, but is it not strange that I have to use the lowest setting to still be that off at best? Something can't be right.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Troy BUIS (battlesights) and found that there are 2 slots on the detent that have to be pushed in to adjust the sight. Sometimes you may think you are adjusting the FSP but it is only spinning on the same plane (I believe it's built into the sight for those who also go with a tritium post). I thought my sights were faulty until I figured that out. I ended up buying the troy sight adjustment tool to make the job easier. Just something to consider...
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the Troy sight tool to adjust the post. It will lower about 2.5 to 3 clicks maybe and bottomed out. I've taken the post off of the sight along with the detent/spring and soaked them in CLP just in case some type of build up or residue from the maufacturing process was preventing full range of adjustment, but no go.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Just FYI, I rechecked the receiver/rail alignment and everything is straight/level. I have no idea.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Update. I spoke with a rep at Troy and quickly found out that the issue was poor researching on my part. Apparently their micro BUIS are made for carbines and rifles with higher rail systems. Given my rifle with a 13" Troy Bravo rail, I would be best served with the standard height sights. I'm in the process of making the switch and will update when possible to confirm that this was indeed the issue. Thanks to everyone that replied.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rear sight is Troy micro as well. Got them brand new as a set from PA. Rail has been checked. It's on there straight/level. I may have to take off some of the material, but is it not strange that I have to use the lowest setting to still be that off at best? Something can't be right.
View Quote

This is probably your problem, micro sights are designed for Vltor and HK piston rifle raised sight rails. You want the standard BUIS, not micro. It would be very hard (for me) to use micro sights on a standard AR. They sit too low.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got back from the range with the Troy standard flip up battle sights and 100% positive that my issue was with the micros being incompatible with my rail system. 100% my fault.  Thanks for all responses.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top