Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 8:12:28 AM EDT
Hello everyone!

I pick up my 1st AR -15 today and never owned one.  I bought the Colt LE 6920MPG-OD.  I have been reading every night for two weeks about optics and I think I am more confused now than when I first started researching what optics to get.

I see a lot of folks like the MEPRO TRU DOT and the Primary Arms 4x compact prism scope.  My AR's primary function will be home defense.  That being said I would still like to have the capability to hunt with it if needed.  What are your thoughts about the MEPRO vs the Primary Arms 4x?  Maybe you have another recommendation?

Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The Primary Arms 4x is a great optic for the price. If you plan on hunting I would suggest that. For home defense you can go with one of their red dots as well. Price point and product, I find them hard to beat.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I think a fixed 4x scope is not a good choice for home defense unless you have ACOG training in the Bindon Aiming Concept.  It probably would not even focus at home defense distances and would be very difficult to use on a moving target.  Bad guys tend to move around.

A 1x red dot would be better for HD, but not so good for making precise, humane hits on game at beyond 100 yards.  You don't want to just hit a deer anywhere, as you might with a human enemy at distance to put disable him.  You want to humanely place a precise shot that is quickly lethal.

Have you considered a low power variable scope?  Something like a 1-4x type.  The Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20 with Firedot SPR is a good example.  On low power, with the illuminated reticle it gets you on target quickly, even at bedroom distances.  The motion activated dot turns it on when you pick it up.  The milrad turrets and reticle at 4x give you precise hits as far out as the 5.56 is suitable for game. You'll spend a bit more but be effective with both missions.

Another option is use of true return to zero mounts with a QD mounted microdot red dot for home defense and a pre-sighted hunting or tactical scope for hunting on the same rifle.  I run a Lucid M7 microdot in an ADM QD mount for home defense.  I swap a pre-sighted LaRue QD mounted Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 Firedot TMR scope for precision shooting and hunting.  That route is more expensive, but keeps the rifle light and handy in the bedroom.  The dot is only a couple inches long and weighs only 4.6 ounces.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the quick response fellas!   Nice to see an active forum.  I hope to purchase multiple AR-15 so my wife and kids have one as well.  Been a little nervous about what is going on in the world...  I have a 30-06 that I can reach out with.  I am thinking I should go with the red dot scopes on all of the AR's.  As long as they can reach out 100 yards accurately.  I am good with that.

My gun shop is trying to sell me a Vortex site.  I may have spelled this wrong.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think a fixed 4x scope is not a good choice for home defense unless you have ACOG training in the Bindon Aiming Concept.  It probably would not even focus at home defense distances and would be very difficult to use on a moving target.  Bad guys tend to move around.

A 1x red dot would be better for HD, but not so good for making precise, humane hits on game at beyond 100 yards.  You don't want to just hit a deer anywhere, as you might with a human enemy at distance to put disable him.  You want to humanely place a precise shot that is quickly lethal.

Have you considered a low power variable scope?  Something like a 1-4x type.  The Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20 with Firedot SPR is a good example.  On low power, with the illuminated reticle it gets you on target quickly, even at bedroom distances.  The motion activated dot turns it on when you pick it up.  The milrad turrets and reticle at 4x give you precise hits as far out as the 5.56 is suitable for game. You'll spend a bit more but be effective with both missions.
View Quote

Thanks I will take a look at the Leupold.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If going with a red dot, go with a micro size.  I like the Lucid M7 for many reasons, not the least of which is that it has the EOTech type circle dot reticle, a fine 2 MOA center dot surrounded by a 25 MOA circle.  This is very quick to aim at close range.  It also has automatic dot intensity, is very rugged, and runs on a single AAA battery available everywhere.  You local gunshop will not have it, but it is widely availavle online from many reputable vendors.  Some red dots come with built in risers for proper height on an AR, or have a separate riser in the box.  Some are designed to be used on a broader range of weapons, including shotguns or pistols, and sit lower.  The M7 is one of those.  In fact, one of my M7s is on a tactical 12 guage shotgun, if that tells you anything about its toughness.  On an AR it needs a one inch riser, which costs only $15-20 for a fixed riser.  A true QD mount with included riser would be $80-90.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#7]
PA 2.5x would be very good for your purposes, IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Since it is your first AR and for HD and you have a hunting rifle, Red Dot for sure.  Either the Aimpoint PRO or Primary Arms MD-ADS if you just can't swing the AP.  Wait until black friday, there will be sales!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again for your advice!   Any insight on the MEPRO tru dot RDS for the AR 15?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hello everyone!

I pick up my 1st AR -15 today and never owned one.  I bought the Colt LE 6920MPG-OD.  I have been reading every night for two weeks about optics and I think I am more confused now than when I first started researching what optics to get.

I see a lot of folks like the MEPRO TRU DOT and the Primary Arms 4x compact prism scope.  My AR's primary function will be home defense.  That being said I would still like to have the capability to hunt with it if needed.  What are your thoughts about the MEPRO vs the Primary Arms 4x?  Maybe you have another recommendation?

Thanks for your help!
View Quote

Sounds like a Burris MTAC 1-4 would suit your purposes perfectly. I tried out the P.A 2.5 optic and my eye didn't get along with the eye-box of the optic at all. It had nice clear glass and the reticle looked very well thought but in the end the eye relief/box was too sensitive on the scope for me. Big thumbs up to P.A on C.S, they took it back for a full refund after listening to my problem with the optic and them having inspected and finding no fault with the optic.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#12]
OK!  I was able to pick it up today.  It is beautiful!  All olive green.  I bought an extra 5 mags for it as well.  So now the big choice of selecting a sight.  Thanks for all of your input guys.  I need to look into all of your suggestions.

Now I need a good resource for bulk ammo.  The gun shop told me I should stick with 62 grain rounds rather than the 55.  not sure what that means and why.  Any good places to buy a bunch of bulk ammo?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to buy four more Ar 15's as well so the who family has one.  The gun shop where I purchased my colt said he has Core AR15's coming in and could sell them to me for $530 each.  Any thoughts on the Core 15?

My son is lefty.  Anyone make a lefty AR that is affordable?

Thanks again?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Core 15s aren't bad.

Stag makes lefty ARs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the mepro, the farthest I've taken it is 260ish yards, works fine there. I would not use a fixed 4x prism scope for home defense.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I have no issues using a fixed 4X for home defense as a multi use optic. But you will have to train!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Since this is your first AR I would suggest you learn to shoot irons first.  The next thing you need on a HD gun is a good light.  Spend your money on a light before you get an optic.  Streamlight tlr1 comes to mind as a good light at a good price.  It's plenty bright enough for indoors and they are pretty rugged.  Don't think brighter is better for HD, 200 lumens or so will be fine without being too bright.  After you buy a light, and a good sling, then worry about an optic.  Just my two cents.  Have fun with your new rifle, it probably won't be your last!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info guys!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#19]
There's nothing wrong with 55's.  XM193 and Q3131A are good self defense rounds.  There's also nothing wrong with M855's too.  But don't believe everything they tell you at the gun store.  There are more appropriate rounds for home defense, but it's all part of the learning process. I'm not even sure what to suggest because I focus mostly on pistol for HD.  And I don't get all wrapped around the axle about what round to use.  But it's good to learn about all the different choices.  Run of the mill winchester white box, federal American Eagle, PMC 55 grain fmj's are good practice rounds too.  Plus more.  

As far as optics go...  it's always nice to have a friend that would let you try different ones out.  But if you don't have one that makes it tough.   But yeah, if you're still young and have good eyes, there's no reason not to start with the irons.  And even if you're not young, the irons on an AR are some of the best iron sighting system there is.  IMHO.

I'm reading your thread because after doing a lot of iron shooting, my eyes are starting to not work as well as they used to and I'm trying to figure out what to do.  I have scopes too, and those are the best for bad eyes, but they can be big and bulky and I'm trying to mull over all the different ideas.  A 1-4x scope probably would be hard to beat for what you want it to do.  It just adds a lot more weight than a small red dot though.  But that might not be that much of an issue.  It isn't for everyone.  

Vortex is good stuff, from what I understand.

Lots of good folks to help here with any questions you have.  Make sure you get good mags (USGI and Magpul) and oil your AR up while shooting.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OK!  I was able to pick it up today.  It is beautiful!  All olive green.  I bought an extra 5 mags for it as well.  So now the big choice of selecting a sight.  Thanks for all of your input guys.  I need to look into all of your suggestions.

Now I need a good resource for bulk ammo.  The gun shop told me I should stick with 62 grain rounds rather than the 55.  not sure what that means and why.  Any good places to buy a bunch of bulk ammo?
View Quote

Palmetto and SGAmmo, for starters, there are many good places.

ETA, forgot, welcome!

PSA

ammo info
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top