Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2014 9:07:23 AM EDT
Anyone ever run their Viper PST hard?  Specifically the 1-4.  Did you use it in a class or in a harsh environment? I was just curious as to what kind of punishment these scopes can take? I think it would be awesome if Vortex would do a torture test video or something similar showing how rugged these scopes are.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't drop my rifles onto the ground, but this may be of assistance.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the PSTs and I think they are good scopes. However, if you look around the web for PST issues you'll figure out why there are no torture test out there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That is pretty cool.

I have a PST and a Razor HDII, OP.  I have only had the PST in rain and snow, and trips to the range, so i can't speak to durability, yet.

According to ol' jukeboxx, the PST isn't rugged enough for his torture

Seems like a solid unit to me, and I am replacing an old spotting scope with one of the Vortex units.

I am pretty happy with their products, and may be adding one of the higher mag units to my .308

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That is pretty cool.

I have a PST and a Razor HDII, OP.  I have only had the PST in rain and snow, and trips to the range, so i can't speak to durability, yet.

Seems like a solid unit to me, and I am replacing an old spotting scope with one of the Vortex units.

I am pretty happy with their products, and may be adding one of the higher mag units to my .308

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is pretty cool.

They are solid, just not "mil-spec" solid when compared with Nightforce/Trijicon.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They are solid, just not "mil-spec" solid when compared with Nightforce/Trijicon.  
View Quote

That's the feeling I get from my pair of PSTs. Very well built, but with how incredibly light they are they just feel like if the rifle took a fall they might not fare so well. Luckily that's what the warranty is for.

I'm very happy with my PSTs, and for my usage I don't need to spend 3x more on a scope. I'd recommend them to anyone.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like the PSTs and I think they are good scopes. However, if you look around the web for PST issues you'll figure out why there are no torture test out there.
View Quote

can you elaborate on this?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my PST 1-4.  Have two of them.  One had the windage knob fall off.  Vortex replaced it
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I love my PST 1-4.  Have two of them.  One had the windage knob fall off.  Vortex replaced it

There's one example. If you search around you will see they do not do well on braked magnums. There are also reports of lenses coming loose and other turret issues.

They are still good scopes but they are not the most durable out there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Everytime I hear "its not milspec tough" I think of one of my favorite quotes.
"If you drop a soldier in the middle of a desert with a rock, a hammer, and an anvil, tell him not to touch any of it, and come back two hours later, the anvil will be broken". "Because soldiers gotta f*** with shit".
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Everytime I hear "its not milspec tough" I think of one of my favorite quotes.

"If you drop a soldier in the middle of a desert with a rock, a hammer, and an anvil, tell him not to touch any of it, and come back two hours later, the anvil will be broken". "Because soldiers gotta f*** with shit".
View Quote
Funny but the rock, hammer, and anvil are all "mil-spec" or it would not have been with them.HAHA

Just messing with you.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#11]
The entire back end on my PST was loose out of the box. They fixed and returned it quickly, but that didn't inspire confidence in the scope.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:25:07 AM EDT
[#12]
What exactly makes an optic "milspec?"

There's not a TDP for optics or anything...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Anything the military uses of course even thats not what "mil-spec" is.

If Aimpoint Micros are used and accepted on actual M4 Block II/clones then that imo is "mil-spec" or I guess "mil soldier-spec".
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like the term "soldier proof"....
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If Aimpoint Micros are used and accepted on actual M4 Block II/clones then that imo is "mil-spec" or I guess "mil soldier-spec".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And even that means nothing, Ive killed Aimpoints before.  Anything can break if pushed too far.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#16]
My 17 hasn't eaten my 1-4 PST yet
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And even that means nothing, Ive killed Aimpoints before.  Anything can break if pushed too far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes anything can break but it does mean something. Aimpoints are much less likely to break than your primary arms mini dot or (insert budget red dot). All you're doing when paying for quality is improving your chances of it not breaking.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's the feeling I get from my pair of PSTs. Very well built, but with how incredibly light they are they just feel like if the rifle took a fall they might not fare so well. Luckily that's what the warranty is for.

I'm very happy with my PSTs, and for my usage I don't need to spend 3x more on a scope. I'd recommend them to anyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best warranty is the one you never need.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes anything can break but it does mean something. Aimpoints are much less likely to break than your primary arms mini dot or (insert budget red dot). All you're doing when paying for quality is improving your chances of it not breaking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was referring to the 'mil soldier-spec' remark.  How many military personnel are using primary arms red dots?  Not too many, and not because the troop decided against it, but because the aimpoint was issued.  Its funny that you think there is such a thing as a milspec optic.  A quality optic is a quality optic, regardless of who uses it.  And I say all of this as someone who has served and continues to serve.

So getting back on topic.  Claiming a Vortex isn't up to par because a military unit doesn't use them is a ridiculous assumption of both the quality and procurement process.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#20]
imo, far too many people have experience with how great their warranty is.

for some people that is piece of mind, for me, not so much
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Funny that I comment on mine and now a week later mine poops out on me.

When I got it I could shoot MOA or just under with several loads now it strings vertically 3-5 MOA. Took the scope off and tried some irons with match ammo and got some nice round sub 2 MOA groups
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

When I got it I could shoot MOA or just under with several loads now it strings vertically 3-5 MOA. Took the scope off and tried some irons with match ammo and got some nice round sub 2 MOA groups
View Quote

What did you have it on?  Contact Vortex, they will make it right.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I was referring to the 'mil soldier-spec' remark.  How many military personnel are using primary arms red dots?  Not too many, and not because the troop decided against it, but because the aimpoint was issued.  Its funny that you think there is such a thing as a milspec optic.  A quality optic is a quality optic, regardless of who uses it.  And I say all of this as someone who has served and continues to serve.

So getting back on topic.  Claiming a Vortex isn't up to par because a military unit doesn't use them is a ridiculous assumption of both the quality and procurement process.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I still would not take a Vortex PST over a Nightforce NXS. YMMV

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scar 17 and not very long. Maybe 500 rounds. I will sell it when I get it replaced because I don't trust it on my Scar and I was wanting something with higher magnification anyway.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top