Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2014 7:07:19 PM EDT
I've owned my AR–15 for a little over a year, and I feel quite comfortable shooting on my Magpul MBUS iron sights. I enjoy close shooting at my range that maxes out at 25 yards, but I also go to the local state game lands and shoot either at a 50 or 100 yard target. My rifle is for both home defense and for plinking fun. I enjoy more benchtop shooting right now than indoor range shooting. I'm looking for suggestions on which magnification I should start out with for my first scope.  I'd like a somewhat decent quality optic and I'd rather not spend more than 250 for the scope and mounts on my optics ready carbine. I'm not crazy about a red dot with a magnifier. I'd also like to keep the weight down.

Any thoughts or examples of scope?  

Thanks in advance for the help.
Mike
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Primary arms 1-6
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI, but they're like unobtainium.

My son has one.  I've been waiting forever for them to come back in stock.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FPNI, but they're like unobtainium.

My son has one.  I've been waiting forever for them to come back in stock.
View Quote

Obtain
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1313
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#4]
SWFA FFP MIL/MIL HD 1-6×24. Great glass, great scope. I have 3 of them. True 1x.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Primary arms 1-6
View Quote
+1 to the PA, and the 1-4/1-6 is perfect for a non precision AR15 if you want a scope instead of a red dot/magnifier combo.

I personally prefer the combo and can tell you why if you want, but since you like bench shooting I probably wont change your mind.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#6]
OP your going to want a 1-4 or 1-6 if you plan to use for HD use. Or are you planning on pulling the scope off for HD use?

I personally played with the scope idea for a while sold my 2.5-7x to a friend with the mount and went back to my RDS setup and bought a magnifier couldn't be happier with the decision other than now I want another magnifier for my other AR. The downside IMO is the weight of the magnifier, otherwise i have not complaints.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

OP your going to want a 1-4 or 1-6 if you plan to use for HD use. Or are you planning on pulling the scope off for HD use?

I personally played with the scope idea for a while sold my 2.5-7x to a friend with the mount and went back to my RDS setup and bought a magnifier couldn't be happier with the decision other than now I want another magnifier for my other AR. The downside IMO is the weight of the magnifier, otherwise i have not complaints.
View Quote
Well it depends on what magnifier cause an Eotech/Aimpoint can match the ruggedness of a 1-4 Nightforce NXS/4x ACOG.

So if its from those two specific manufactures I consider it good weight.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in the same situation with my newly assembled AR OP. I would like some magnification but I don't want to give up close quarters capability.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Pa 1-6 w aero mount.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd look for a 3-9x with long eye relief. 3x  is completely usable at closer ranges with the 9x  being ok for long ranges.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd look for a 3-9x with long eye relief. 3x  is completely usable at closer ranges with the 9x  being ok for long ranges.
View Quote

You are not using 3x with both eyes open.  Many of us want 1x at the low end for this reason.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Primary arms 1-6
View Quote

This...^.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pa 1-6 w aero mount.  

<a href="http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/ducatiman1098s/media/2014-10/89700AD9-695A-4C82-B35D-5F2E83BE82F9_zpsefgmtmnp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p500/ducatiman1098s/2014-10/89700AD9-695A-4C82-B35D-5F2E83BE82F9_zpsefgmtmnp.jpg</a>
View Quote

Again...this ...^.

I too have the Aero mount under my PA 1-6x.  Hard to beat the Aero mounts for the price.  Too bad they don't offer a QD but I heard that was in the works.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:46:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
SWFA FFP MIL/MIL HD 1-6×24. Great glass, great scope. I have 3 of them. True 1x.
View Quote

Let me know when you find one for the under $250 budget the OP is requesting.  Even if you find it for twice that, I'd still want one!  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:27:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Let me know when you find one for the under $250 budget the OP is requesting.  Even if you find it for twice that, I'd still want one!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In for that and all the other 1000.00 optics you know the OP cant afford.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:30:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You are not using 3x with both eyes open.  Many of us want 1x at the low end for this reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i can do it just fine, as long as the scope i'm using has a good amount of eye relief. acogs in 3 n 4x are usable just fine right? 25 yards n less you can even make hits on a torso sized target without iron sights, just keep your eyes straight down the flat top. my first shot or 2 are usually a bit high n then i know where i'm at n i can drop the other 28 rounds into the target without fail.

is it the absolute most practical way of doing it? no but even with an acog i get similar results, which are acceptable at close ranges, and then when you want a longer shot it's 1 eye closed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I hate to be "that guy", but I'm gonna.

Nothing in your price range has any business on a gun you're going to rely on for defensive purposes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nothing in your price range has any business on a gun you're going to rely on for defensive purposes.
View Quote

I disagree. He will be able to rely on it after he tests it thoroughly feels comfortable with it. would he go to Afghanistan with it? No. But it will be fine for the purposes listed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

For a brief HD situation it should be ok.  For a end of world SHTF situation possibly not.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

For a brief HD situation it should be ok.  For a end of world SHTF situation possibly not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure he stated that it was for hd, and general plinking.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I disagree. He will be able to rely on it after he tests it thoroughly feels comfortable with it. would he go to Afghanistan with it? No. But it will be fine for the purposes listed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's cool, it's a "discussion" forum not a "everybody thinks the same thing" forum.  

IMHO, $250 would certainly get a mount I'd trust, and would probably get a few optics I'd trust, particularly if you shop a bit and find a deal.

But it won't get both.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My fuckup. Should have read OP more closely. Sorry bout that!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That's cool, it's a "discussion" forum not a "everybody thinks the same thing" forum.  

IMHO, $250 would certainly get a mount I'd trust, and would probably get a few optics I'd trust, particularly if you shop a bit and find a deal.

But it won't get both.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But it won't get both.  
I agree anything for HD/personal defense and I want the best, but some people are comfortable with less and that's cool with me.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  I'm considering both a 1-4or6x scope and now possibly a red dot with a magnifier.  I know this throws a wrench in the scope only discussion, but do we have any other options you'd consider.  Currently I can consistently hit a 4 inch target from 50 yards with iron sights (Magpul MBUS with the small rear aperture up).  I guess that a red dot would only help this from that distance and closer (especially if it is co-witnessed with the irons).  I would be using a magnifier for 50-100 yard shots.  Keeping the same price point in mind and that I plan on using it for range plinking and (god forbid) home defense, do you have any suggestions?

I was pricing out a Bushnell TRS-25 with a UTG 0.83 mount for absolute co-witness with my MBUS.  Figure this would be about 75-85 dollars.  Add in a 3x, 4x, or 6x magnifier and what would I be looking at?  Another 100-150 more?  Any other suggestions?  Any comparison between the Bushnell and something else like the Primary Arms MD-06L?

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  I'm considering both a 1-4or6x scope and now possibly a red dot with a magnifier.  I know this throws a wrench in the scope only discussion, but do we have any other options you'd consider.  Currently I can consistently hit a 4 inch target from 50 yards with iron sights (Magpul MBUS with the small rear aperture up).  I guess that a red dot would only help this from that distance and closer (especially if it is co-witnessed with the irons).  I would be using a magnifier for 50-100 yard shots.  Keeping the same price point in mind and that I plan on using it for range plinking and (god forbid) home defense, do you have any suggestions?

I was pricing out a Bushnell TRS-25 with a UTG 0.83 mount for absolute co-witness with my MBUS.  Figure this would be about 75-85 dollars.  Add in a 3x, 4x, or 6x magnifier and what would I be looking at?  Another 100-150 more?  Any other suggestions?  Any comparison between the Bushnell and something else like the Primary Arms MD-06L?

Thanks,

Mike
View Quote
Since you threw out HD again I suggest you stick with irons and buy a Surefire P2X light. Then once that is setup you can save for an Eotech/Aimpoint.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Since you threw out HD again I suggest you stick with irons and buy a Surefire P2X light. Then once that is setup you can save for an Eotech/Aimpoint.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Mike

+1 to this. OP, get a weapon light first and then you can look at red dots. My personal recommendation for a budget red dot is the Primary Arms model.

I really, really wanted to slap a nice variable on my AR but a red dot sight is the king of < 100 yard shooting.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#28]
http://www.primaryarms.com/Burris_MTAC_Rifle_Scope_30mm_Tube_1_4x_24mm_p/bu200437.htm

IMO Burris MTAC 1x4 is the Best bang -for-the-buck in an inexpensive solid scope with RDS quickness and easily capable of 300 yard torso hits
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

http://www.primaryarms.com/Burris_MTAC_Rifle_Scope_30mm_Tube_1_4x_24mm_p/bu200437.htm

IMO Burris MTAC 1x4 is the Best bang -for-the-buck in an inexpensive solid scope with RDS quickness and easily capable of 300 yard torso hits
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:46:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've owned my AR–15 for a little over a year, and I feel quite comfortable shooting on my Magpul MBUS iron sights. I enjoy close shooting at my range that maxes out at 25 yards, but I also go to the local state game lands and shoot either at a 50 or 100 yard target. My rifle is for both home defense and for plinking fun. I enjoy more benchtop shooting right now than indoor range shooting. I'm looking for suggestions on which magnification I should start out with for my first scope.  I'd like a somewhat decent quality optic and I'd rather not spend more than 250 for the scope and mounts on my optics ready carbine. I'm not crazy about a red dot with a magnifier. I'd also like to keep the weight down.

Any thoughts or examples of scope?  

Thanks in advance for the help.
Mike
View Quote

It'll be a bit hard to find a new optic *and* mount/rings that you'll be happy with in that price range, even for plinking.   "Somewhat decent quality" and "250 for scope and mount" simply don't go together for most types of optics.  

You mention home defense as well - in my opinion, for 250 you're not going to find anything more useful than iron sights and a weapon light without scoring an unusual deal.   That's not something you want to use a plinker red dot for, and unless "home defense" for you means magnified long range shooting, then a traditional scope would make it pretty hard to use your AR for that purpose without some sort of QD mount that would really blow out your budget.

If you just really want a scope for fun, I'd suggest something like the Primary Arms red dot, etc - whatever version gets generally positive reviews around here as of late - combined with a throw lever mount that lets you remove it when you're not out at the range.

Remember, spending less on optics doesn't save you money if you blow through $100 of ammo zeroing and re-zeroing it, either due to optics problems or having to take non-QD mounts on and off.

By the way - depending on where you're at in PA, you may have access to longer ranges.  Some of those state game land ranges have 200 and 300 yard target stands.   You should be able to hit targets out that far with your irons, and $250 worth of ammo makes for a pretty decent amount of practice...
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  I'm considering both a 1-4or6x scope and now possibly a red dot with a magnifier.  I know this throws a wrench in the scope only discussion, but do we have any other options you'd consider.  Currently I can consistently hit a 4 inch target from 50 yards with iron sights (Magpul MBUS with the small rear aperture up). I guess that a red dot would only help this from that distance and closer (especially if it is co-witnessed with the irons).  I would be using a magnifier for 50-100 yard shots.  Keeping the same price point in mind and that I plan on using it for range plinking and (god forbid) home defense, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
View Quote

Don't sell the red dot scope short.  I'm in my 50's, not the best eyesight anymore, and I can shred the centers out of the little dessert paper plates @ 100 yards.
With only a T1 or Aimpoint PRO (my favorite out of the two).
My opinion on the red dots is still forming.  I can get hits on a silhouette plate near 200 yards, but accuracy is poor.

Take your time, but keep your eyes open for the PRO.  Best red dot going.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Don't sell the red dot scope short.  I'm in my 50's, not the best eyesight anymore, and I can shred the centers out of the little dessert paper plates @ 100 yards.
My opinion on the red dots is still forming.  I can get hits on a silhouette plate near 200 yards, but accuracy is poor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  I'm considering both a 1-4or6x scope and now possibly a red dot with a magnifier.  I know this throws a wrench in the scope only discussion, but do we have any other options you'd consider.  Currently I can consistently hit a 4 inch target from 50 yards with iron sights (Magpul MBUS with the small rear aperture up). I guess that a red dot would only help this from that distance and closer (especially if it is co-witnessed with the irons).  I would be using a magnifier for 50-100 yard shots.  Keeping the same price point in mind and that I plan on using it for range plinking and (god forbid) home defense, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

+1
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm going to go against the grain here and propose a 2-7x (yes, holy shit a non tactical optic). I have a Redfield Revolution (basically a rebranded Leupold VX1 for much less) and absolutely love it. Would I take it to Afghanistan, negative but would I feel bad having it it the big bad shtf apocalypse, nope. If it can take my abuse, it'd definitely last for that. Hell, if my PTR couldn't kill it before I sold it, it'll hold up to any AR.

Just ordered an Aero Precision mount for it to mount on my 12.5" so for just under $300, I'd think it'd be a very very solid choice.... at 2x, both eyes open is definitely a go and I'm just as fast as it as with a red dot but that's just me
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top