Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/23/2014 9:10:39 AM EDT
Looking at the Holosun site, I found this VERY interesting. I know that the PA/Holosun MD-ADS are great quality so this one caught my eye. Still has a 50k battery life, but also is solar powered. I wonder if it only resorts to battery when it has to or how it's implemented. With a lifetime warranty, the sight would probably last 10 years on a single battery (theoretically. battery will go bad before that)

Should have read a little further. Defaults to solar mode meaning you won't be using battery unless you really need it. Like  I said... very interesting.

Link
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Honestlly, why are all the RD makers not doing this?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a good question. Doesn't take much power to run a red dot and the vast majority of the shooters only shoot on sunny days.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Possibly because an exposed solar cell is more vulnerable to damage?  It's hard to kill the tube on an Aimpoint, but put a solar cell on top, and ...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Possibly because an exposed solar cell is more vulnerable to damage?  It's hard to kill the tube on an Aimpoint, but put a solar cell on top, and ...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but at that point wouldn't it just become a normal battery powered red dot?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Trijicon Tri Power, Trijicon SRS, and Zeiss Z Point come to mind.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Other than fiber-optic which directly lights the reticle while in use, I don't think solar powered is that important.  Out of all the hours in a month, how many of those does an AR spend out in the sun being used?  2-8 out of 720?  I guess if the user turns the optic on and off each time, battery draw would be nil with solar.  If it is left always on 24/7, the solar won't help much at all unless you are shooting outside every day.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Other than fiber-optic which directly lights the reticle while in use, I don't think solar powered is that important.  Out of all the hours in a month, how many of those does an AR spend out in the sun being used?  2-8 out of 720?  I guess if the user turns the optic on and off each time, battery draw would be nil with solar.  If it is left always on 24/7, the solar won't help much at all unless you are shooting outside every day.
View Quote

I get what your saying, for an occasional use/range gun, but a duty gun that spends its life always on, and always out, this would be the bomb.
Even ambient light would benefit it, wouldn't have to be direct sunlight. My HD gun would have one on it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I get what your saying, for an occasional use/range gun, but a duty gun that spends its life always on, and always out, this would be the bomb.
Even ambient light would benefit it, wouldn't have to be direct sunlight. My HD gun would have one on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Just like a calculator. It would run all the time during the day and go to battery mode at night.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
With run time measured in years with a battery I don't get what this does except make the sight more complicated.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Point taken, but I was thinking more about possible warranty claims or repairs for the manufacturer.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Point taken, but I was thinking more about possible warranty claims or repairs for the manufacturer.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think the circuitry is that complicated. Might add a few dollars to prep it for recoil, but I don't see anything else
obvios for why more don't add it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't think the circuitry is that complicated. Might add a few dollars to prep it for recoil, but I don't see anything else
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the circuitry, the cell itself.  I'm assuming that if you bash it with anything hard, it would break.  Not something you'd want bouncing around in a humvee.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
this warranty looks like garbage to me

To the original owner, your Holosun product is warranted free of defects in materials and workmanship with the Holosun Limited Lifetime Warranty. This warranty specifically applies to the metal structure of the product and does not apply to the optical and illumination systems. The optical system is covered by the 5 year warranty. The illumination system including electronics is covered by the 3 year warranty. Batteries are not covered under warranty.
View Quote

Yeah, I agree.  

It looks like the only part of the sight that is covered under the "Limited Lifetime" portion of the warranty is the Metal Housing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#15]
With 3-5 year always on battery life, I still don't see a need to add cost and complexity even for an always on and in use duty or HD gun.  My first Aimpoint micro battery lasted 3 years always on...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
With 3-5 year always on battery life, I still don't see a need to add cost and complexity even for an always on and in use duty or HD gun.  My first Aimpoint micro battery lasted 3 years always on...
View Quote

I feel you. Now if it was set up to use a RCR16340 that would be bad ass
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Also they could integrate the mount. Thinking of the new PA micro dots that use buttons they could put the battery and brightness buttons in the mount and streamline the optic.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#18]
That's a good idea!  The mount would have to be good though since it couldn't be upgraded and it would be AR only.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Because solar cells are fairly fragile and no company wants to make a RDS with any warranty that would cause them to have to replace it every time some idiot breaks the solar cells, it doesn't make good financial sense, on top of that my pro lasts 3 years constant on with one battery, many of the new RDS are even longer 50K+, your telling me you can't afford to change out a watch battery every 5 years?

Not to mention a broken cell could lead to failure of the RDS creating an entrance for water/dust etc...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looking at the Holosun site, I found this VERY interesting. I know that the PA/Holosun MD-ADS are great quality so this one caught my eye. Still has a 50k battery life, but also is solar powered. I wonder if it only resorts to battery when it has to or how it's implemented. With a lifetime warranty, the sight would probably last 10 years on a single battery (theoretically. battery will go bad before that)

Should have read a little further. Defaults to solar mode meaning you won't be using battery unless you really need it. Like  I said... very interesting.

Link
View Quote

This info will be updated as the unit is being revised... The new version will have 3 modes.... BATTERY, SOLAR AND AUTO. It will stay on the setting the user leaves it on. SOLAR will work with no battery installed. AUTO will switch to BATTERY when ambient light is insufficient to power the cell.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#22]

The solar cell is encased with a clear cover on top of it to prevent water/debris from entering. Also, the revised version is being updated to "solar tube" technology which is overall a much more durable solar system for this application.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I have one of these sights. The solar cell seemed pretty well protected to me. It does indeed run without the battery - first thing I tested when swapping the mounts out. Here is the caveat: the solar function is not quite perfect indoors. If you are in a non-well-lit space, it needs a direct line to a light source. So, in an ironic twist, not great for home defense, but seems pretty good otherwise. Keep in mind that the SRS also has some issues with dim lighting indoors, too.

Mine has the left-to-right distortion issue - I don't notice much, but it really threw off my dad when he tried to shoot it. Holosun told me they could provide me a fixed one when they're available, but if there's an improved version coming out, maybe I'll wait for that. I love to beta test. :) Auto mode would solve the problem I described above, especially if combined with a "activate on motion" sensor.

As for the warranty, remember that Aimpoints only have a five year warranty. It's a little misleading to call this one "lifetime", but it's really not too bad compared to the competition. IMHO, Holosun's entry into the optics market is one of the bigger stories of the past few years, and I think they will enjoy quite a lot of success. :)
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
i suspect it won't work well under florescent lights either.

how long does the battery last powered off stored in the dark like a closet or safe? that would be my only real concern
View Quote

Battery life is 50k hours - it auto shuts off after 8 hours and comes on when it detects movement (picking up the rifle)
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
as long as it's a quality battery that should be just fine.

but i still have to say that as a consumer, when i read "lifetime warranty" and then i read that only applies to defects in the metal housing i begin to suspect build quality and ethics of the company.
View Quote

This could also be an indication of unknown longevity and/or a general unwillingness to be abused by consumers (new company or product hesitancy) rather than evil intent.

If I'm paying so little for a product with promise, I am not betting the farm or futures on it lasting my lifetime, but it would be nice if it did.

I'm OK with that warranty as long as it is known ahead of time, I get to purchase with eyes wide open.

On the other hand, if they were selling this exact same product for 8 Benjamin's with that warranty, I would be screaming from the mountain top as warning to everyone.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#29]
that's brilliant.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Guy on here converted some eotechs to battery and solar years ago.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Battery life is 50k hours - it auto shuts off after 8 hours and comes on when it detects movement (picking up the rifle)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i suspect it won't work well under florescent lights either.

how long does the battery last powered off stored in the dark like a closet or safe? that would be my only real concern

I think he is referring to battery shelf life....which all depends on the quality of the battery itself!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

that's my issue with it though. it's presented as a lifetime warranty and you have to dig for the details. i expect a lifetime warranty to non damage related failures to the product. Advertising as a lifetime warranty then in the fine print saying it only covers the one part of the product that quite honestly won't have a manufacturing related failure that isn't obvious out of the box is worthless. that to me is simply misleading and dishonest advertising
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm OK with that warranty as long as it is known ahead of time, I get to purchase with eyes wide open.

On the other hand, if they were selling this exact same product for 8 Benjamin's with that warranty, I would be screaming from the mountain top as warning to everyone.

that's my issue with it though. it's presented as a lifetime warranty and you have to dig for the details. i expect a lifetime warranty to non damage related failures to the product. Advertising as a lifetime warranty then in the fine print saying it only covers the one part of the product that quite honestly won't have a manufacturing related failure that isn't obvious out of the box is worthless. that to me is simply misleading and dishonest advertising

But it doesn't say lifetime warranty........it states "limited lifetime warranty". How is that misleading??
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks like an interesting idea! Also, auto intensity rocks (have it in my Lucid HD7). Why EoTech / Aimpoint don't offer that is beyond me. I'm OK with a 3 year warranty on a $250 product... One question that needs to be answered is environmental sealing. No mention of that on their website.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#35]

The panel IS covered under the warranty, so the only "misleading" info I see is your posts of wrong info!! I am not here to get into a "blog war", but I don't see what the problem is with the warranty. It specifies what areas are covered and how.... At the end of the day, it comes down to CS. Any company can offer the world, but if they don't come through, than all that jazz is worth nothing!! That will be the determining factor!!

And for everyone else, here is the warranty info from their website........make your own judgement.

August 1, 2014
To the original owner, your Holosun product is warranted free of defects in materials and workmanship with the Holosun Limited Lifetime Warranty. This warranty specifically applies to the metal structure of the product and does not apply to the optical and illumination systems. The optical system is covered by the 5 year warranty. The illumination system including electronics is covered by the 3 year warranty. Batteries are not covered under warranty.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Looks like an interesting idea! Also, auto intensity rocks (have it in my Lucid HD7). Why EoTech / Aimpoint don't offer that is beyond me. I'm OK with a 3 year warranty on a $250 product... One question that needs to be answered is environmental sealing. No mention of that on their website.
View Quote

To my understanding, they have tested the sight to 100ft underwater for a period of approx 2 hours with no issues for the HS403A and HS403G. The solar 403C, I am not sure. However, since they are coming out with a redesign/improved version, they may have "beefed" it up...
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:15:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I disagree about auto intensity. I hate it. It's usually more bright than I need thus making the dot larger than I'd like. Every one is different. I'm glad Aimpoint and EOTech don't have it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I get what both of you guys are saying, but in the end, I'm smart enough to know what "Limited Lifetime Warranty" means = I am screwed if something happens to the product.
For $250 on a RDS that honestly should last years more than that under normal conditions, is a grea price considering what it is and the bells and whistles on it.

What's that Italian means 'buyer beware'? Caveat Emptor? It ap[plies to literally anything you buy.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I disagree about auto intensity. I hate it. It's usually more bright than I need thus making the dot larger than I'd like. Every one is different. I'm glad Aimpoint and EOTech don't have it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure about the RDS in question, but auto intensity is easy enough to over ride on the Lucid HD7. Once again, the auto mode works great for me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#42]

After speaking with Holosun about the warranty on their products, here is the response I got. I think this is a fair response.....

I understand your concerns about the warranty.  Certain manufacturers that offer an unconditional lifetime warranty simply charge a substantial premium for their product without necessarily increased quality. You are simply buying an insurance policy.  Not many lifetime warranties have no limits at all on them.  While the design life is well past the warranty times, components, such as electronics have a finite life.  The 3 year warranty on electronics, exceeds many of the competition.   The optics as well are expected to last well past 5 years.  It was simply a case where the manufacture had to draw a line in the sand to allow the current price to stay reasonable and still protect the customer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#43]
That warrantee sounds reasonable given the price point of the optic.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That warrantee sounds reasonable given the price point of the optic.
View Quote

It is. I mean, FFS, the Aimpoint warranty isn't lifetime, it's five years.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Heads up guys. I have obtained a version 2 of the 403C and will be posting a video in a couple of days.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not likely. Plastic cells printed on a flexible substrate are very durable. I have a flexible, foldable 26 watt solar panel that gets stuffed into an 80lb backpack and have no issues throwing it and the pack around. As long as they are protected, they should perform as designed.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Tri-Power is a decent sight, but it's one that you are better off buying cheaper used. It performs pretty well in that it's bright and has a nice reticle, and you rarely have to turn it on, but it sucks batteries and those batteries are HARD to find these days. If they offered a Green reticle option and changed to an AA battery I wouldn't care how long it ran. It's a first rate sight other than the battery availability. No idea why they would have ever dreamt of putting TWO 1/3 "N" cells in it. I don't know anywhere to get them but Radio Shack and they cost $13 a pop!
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
this warranty looks like garbage to me

View Quote

I was interested in buying one of these until you posted that......

Then again, companies like Holosun don't usually last decades anyway. Your chances of getting warranty work done in 7 or 8 years isn't very likely anyway.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

And ACOG.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Because solar cells are fairly fragile and no company wants to make a RDS with any warranty that would cause them to have to replace it every time some idiot breaks the solar cells, it doesn't make good financial sense, on top of that my pro lasts 3 years constant on with one battery, many of the new RDS are even longer 50K+, your telling me you can't afford to change out a watch battery every 5 years?

Not to mention a broken cell could lead to failure of the RDS creating an entrance for water/dust etc...
View Quote

For me, it's not a matter of being too cheap or lazy to want to swap a battery every few years......

Look, Guns are forever. Batteries on the other hand, have historically come and gone out of fashion. I'm only 42 years old, am I going to be able find a watch battery at a time when most people don't wear watches? They barely do now.. Same for AA batteries-consumer goods generally aren't being made for AA batteries anymore. Everyone loves the CR123 batteries because Surefire made them an industry standard..... Those were originally meant to power cameras in low power applications..... Is the gun and flashlight market going to support the manufacture of those batteries forever? Cameras use completely different batteries than CR123's these days.

I am pretty much a Trijicon guy for this reason. Some don't like the idea that the Tritium will eventually go dead in them but after using most of their products on my guns for the last 15 years or so, I have yet to see a circumstance where the fiber optic wasn't doing the job by itself and I could still Identify a target. The other 16 hours of the day I get a KICK-ASS sight or scope that never has a battery on it's way out.

Then there's the issue of batteries leaking inside your fancy sights and ruining them, also not a problem with most Trijicon products.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top