Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 12:40:03 AM EDT
Guys,

I was adjusting turrets to zero the turrets.  The turret knob accidentally came off during this process but the owner's manual stated "The knob is not intended to come up or off,but if the set screws are loosened too far,the knob can be removed.The scope is still fully sealed if this does accidentally occur."

However, I discovered tiny black particles scattered over the reticle when I looked through the scope again.

I called Burris and of course they would honor a warranty repair but wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Also, battery life with a CR 2032 is woefully inadequate ~ 3 months.  I would think that with the auto-shutoff feature and the long shelf life of the battery that I would see a little bit longer battery life.  Anyone have similar battery life experiences?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you leave the illumination on the whole time?

I've only had mine for two months but no issues yet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Haven't had that issue yet so hope you get your scope running again soon.
The battery life is somewhere between 75-100 hours, which is standard for most of these CR2032-powered scopes.  The Meopta has slightly longer battery life at 150 hrs, IIRC. I always turn my illum off when not in use.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you leave the illumination on the whole time?

I've only had mine for two months but no issues yet.
View Quote

about 50-50 on (auto shut off) or off (illumination off at setting zero)
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Try turning it completely off when it's in the safe. It may make a difference.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:41:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would say a majority of the time I did turn completely off.  I have found it left on at least a couple of time but it turned on without any issues.

As for the comment on the CR 2032, my Bushy TRS25 has outstanding battery life and it also uses the CR 2032.

Perhaps I am expecting too much battery life for this scope?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:50:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would say a majority of the time I did turn completely off.  I have found it left on at least a couple of time but it turned on without any issues.

As for the comment on the CR 2032, my Bushy TRS25 has outstanding battery life and it also uses the CR 2032.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, S&B Short Dot 1-4X and the Leupold Mk6 have roughly the same battery life.  So did the Meopta KDot, until their latest version took it up to 150 hours or so.
If you want a variable optic with the longest battery life, consider the VCOG.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Whack the scope against a phone book a few times to get rid of the particles if you don't feel like sending it in.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Whack the scope against a phone book a few times to get rid of the particles if you don't feel like sending it in.
View Quote

Uh, will not try that :)

Sent it into Burris.  I'll report back if I have further issues.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please post your experience in dealing with Burris CS in their warranty coverage.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Please post your experience in dealing with Burris CS in their warranty coverage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had to send back an XTR 1.5-6 because it had specks in the glass as well.  Nothing but outstanding service from Burris.  I believe I had the scope back within two weeks of them receiving it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:13:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had to send back an XTR 1.5-6 because it had specks in the glass as well.  Nothing but outstanding service from Burris.  I believe I had the scope back within two weeks of them receiving it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, good to hear. I have no complaints on my 1-5 but it's good to know that they stand behind their products like they say they do.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're under 25, that's a large book printed on pulp paper that the phone company used to send you every year.  It listed all the names and numbers of residents in your calling area, and had a feature called the "yellow pages" that listed all the local businesses, and ONLY the local businesses.  The fragmented "yellow pages" on the web are grossly inefficient compared to this old analog technology.

They were good for whacking things, boosting your kids up to see over the dash, and pellet gun target backstops.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes, S&B Short Dot 1-4X and the Leupold Mk6 have roughly the same battery life.  So did the Meopta KDot, until their latest version took it up to 150 hours or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the VCOG battery life on 6?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something like 700 hours or similar to an XPS series EOTech. It is not EOTech bright though.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Something like 700 hours or similar to an XPS series EOTech. It is not EOTech bright though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, I had read on the Triji website 700 hours was on setting 4, I figured maybe you had done a battery test...  Battery life aside, how usable do YOU find the VCOG on 1x with no illumination?

I have been waiting for the Black Friday sales to by 2 1-6 scopes, I was leaning toward the Mk6 but reading a thead on M4 entitled "getting over the need for daylight brightness in an LPV" (or something like that) kinda has me rethinking.  I have used the Mk6 at the static range on a friend's rifle and love it, however without illumination on 1x it is less than ideal and considering how short battery lives tend to be on LPVs I've been giving second looks at the SWFA SS HD 1-6, Bushnell Tactical Elite 1-6.5 SFP (mil version), Burris XTR ii 1-5 & the VCOG...  Due in large part to useful 1x without illumination.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#16]
You can always see the reticle because of the thick lines surrounding it, directing your eye.  In the very brightest conditions btw 12-3PM, the reticle will turn from red to brownish.
And I can see some folks thinking that illumination is not that important. It depends on what you want to do with your rifle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Received my XTR II 1-5 scope with no issues.  

Per RMA verification report the scope was "recentered, recoiled, and fog tested.  Removed internal debris, resealed and recoiled to verify function.  Scope functions properly"

What they mention "recoiled", does that mean they place it on a rifle and ensure large round recoil does not affect the reticle?

BTW, it took about 3 weeks for repair for those who want to know how long repair takes for this kind of job.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the follow-up and glad they took care of you!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What they mention "recoiled", does that mean they place it on a rifle and ensure large round recoil does not affect the reticle?
View Quote

Most manufacturers have a machine that simulates a heavy recoiling rifle over and over to test them. I believe Leupold has a picture or video somewhere on their site.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Most manufacturers have a machine that simulates a heavy recoiling rifle over and over to test them. I believe Leupold has a picture or video somewhere on their site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMOd5h-XfA
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top