Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 7:40:24 PM EDT
This isn't an AR specific question but I hope some knowledgeable optic/sight people in this forum can help.  I asked in the Armory 22/rimfire forum but didn't get any responses.

I have a Sako P94S Finnfire 22lr rifle with an 11mm dovetail on the receiver.

I got a picatinny adapter with it when I bought it, but it was damaged.  What I really want on it are Leupold QR bases so I can pop a scope off easily in order to use the iron sights.  I have Leupold QR rings already.

This is the Leupold system:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/mounting-systems/quick-release-mounting-systems/

They make one model for Sako rifles, but it's a tapered dovetail.  I don't see any that are 11mm and it appears Leupold doesn't make one.  Hard to believe ... someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

They do make a model for gunsmiths:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/725910/leupold-gunsmith-quick-release-scope-base-blank-steel-gloss-package-of-2

If Leupold truly doesn't make a factory 11 mm QR base, can anyone recommend a service or gunsmith that can machine an 11 mm dovetail into these things and drill/tap a hole for a set screw?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]
May I suggest an alternative?  I know you have the rings, but that rifle deserves better. You can return the rings or use them on another rifle with more common bases.  I like Leupold and have a number of their scopes and ring/base systems.  But, the Sako dovetail system presents some challenges for QD rings.

I have an L-579 Sako bolt gun and am familiar with this challenge.  I would suggest you check with Talley Manufacturing.  I have gradually changed over my bolt guns to the Talley QD system.  It is highly regarded by gunsmiths and custom gun builders.  You see many high end rifles built by nationally recognized artisan gun makers with these rings. It is extremely strong and elegant for use on high end rifles that need true return to zero capability. There are dual shoulders on the bases that lock in place fore and aft the individually machined rings. Each ring is final machined and lapped as an assembled unit and each half given matching numbers.  The shoulders combined with the lever locks hold the rings securely in all four directions.

I especially mention this because Talley has an extensive inventory of Sako specific dovetail bases for various Sako receivers.  While I did not see your rimfire model listed, I'm sure either Talley or Sako customer service could tell you which base you need.  Put this system on that rimfire.  It is far superior to the Leupold QR.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, I figured someone out there had good QD rings for an 11mm dovetail.  Will check out Talley.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
To close the loop on this thread, I bought a set of Talley rings.  After talking with them over the phone and sending some pictures and measurements, they sent out a pair that fit my Sako just right.  They are really high quality and function perfectly ... thanks again for the recommendation.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top