Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2014 11:28:22 PM EDT
Finally hauled off and got another PA red dot from AIM Surplus.

It's the latest, greatest model with the +/- activation buttons.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, to turn it on and get the dot to a visible level, one has to press the danged button five or six times.

Seems like the dial version would be quicker and more intuitive.

What say you?

http://www.primaryarms.com/v/vspfiles/photos/MD-ADS-2.jpg
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:56:28 AM EDT
[#1]
You are scrolling through the NV settings. Older MD06 models didn't have these. Aimpoints are the same way.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Correct you are scrolling through the NV settings, but I agree I am not a button person.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:08:00 AM EDT
[#3]
"scrolling through" meaning it's necessary to begin from "off" and make 5 or 6 button clicks to "visible in daylight"?

thnx
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:33:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you leave it on? Seems like they have a pretty long battery life.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you leave it on? Seems like they have a pretty long battery life.
View Quote

Yea, the battery last 50k hours
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"scrolling through" meaning it's necessary to begin from "off" and make 5 or 6 button clicks to "visible in daylight"?

thnx
View Quote

Yep. Leave it on the setting you like. It'll last 5 years on one battery.

You have to do the same thing with the Aimpoints. From off you have to go 5 clicks until it's lightly visible. I leave mine on setting 6. EOTechs are a little different in that when you turn them on, they default to a middle setting then you can scroll up or down depending on your needs. Then again, their battery life is only about 1k hours constantly on instead of 50k.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Does it have an automatic shutoff?

If so, once it shuts off it's back to square one with the same problem of having to multi-click it to visible, right?

thnx
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does it have an automatic shutoff?

If so, once it shuts off it's back to square one with the same problem of having to multi-click it to visible, right?

thnx
View Quote

Primary Arms version does not have auto shut off. After the Holosun micro was released, that was the customers number one concern for PA so they made theirs without auto shut off and increased the water proofing.

Holosun does.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I have it boxed and prepared to return to AIM to exchange it for  the removable base model with the clickable dial.

The consensus here is just leave it on permanently?

Not sure why, but I'm reluctant to do that.

While I may not shoot it often, it's a home/perimeter defense SBR and needs to be ready to use quickly.

Thanks for all the info.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have it boxed and prepared to return to AIM to exchange it for  the removable base model with the clickable dial.

While I may not shoot it often, it's a home/perimeter defense SBR and needs to be ready to use quickly.

Thanks for all the info.
View Quote

Leave it on permanently, change the battery every year.  That way if you need to grab your rifle in a hurry, you don't have to fiddle with things like optics.  In that type of situation you're fine motor skills degrade, so anything like optics are best set and forget.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for all the info.
View Quote

So you WANT to leave it on - otherwise you have to worry about getting the dot on to a usable brightness when you need it the most.

That's what it's made for. If anything goes wrong, you still have the 3 year warranty from PA. Plus, your battery should last way longer than that.

The PA version with the dial is the older generation and the battery life is only ~1k hours on medium settings. It's a great dot - but IMO not comparable to the new advanced red dot.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So you WANT to leave it on - otherwise you have to worry about getting the dot on to a usable brightness when you need it the most.

That's what it's made for. If anything goes wrong, you still have the 3 year warranty from PA. Plus, your battery should last way longer than that.

The PA version with the dial is the older generation and the battery life is only ~1k hours on medium settings. It's a great dot - but IMO not comparable to the new advanced red dot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for all the info.

Thanks, that settles it.

I'll keep it.

I am, however, going to exchange the Primary Arms riser because the quality is marginal.

Which of the four do you recommend: American Defense, Samson, Fortis or Bobro?

thnx

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I had American Defense mounts on my old MD06s, however I'm sure all would be fine. Samson makes excellent rails, so I would love to try their mounts out.

Which PA riser did you get? I ordered the lower 1/3rd mount (non QD) so I'm interested to see why it's marginal quality.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had American Defense mounts on my old MD06s, however I'm sure all would be fine. Samson makes excellent rails, so I would love to try their mounts out.

Which PA riser did you get? I ordered the lower 1/3rd mount (non QD) so I'm interested to see why it's marginal quality.
View Quote

I got the lower 1/3 cowitness and it aligned well.

However there were a couple of things that weren't up to snuff:

1. the small springs used to keep tension on one side of the clamp were thin and weak
2. the roll-type pin wasn't seated deeply all the way through the side lever, so it didn't keep full tension on the tension knob/ball.  Under recoil the lever would begin to creep up from full lock down.

I wrestled with it for 20 minutes and went through about 40 rounds of ammo re-adjusting it and re-sighting it in.

I'll spend more money to mount and forget it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Ahh - good to hear. I didn't get the QD mount, just their plain riser. I don't need the QD capability so I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Got this operation explanation from PA:

"When you activate the MD-ADS, it automatically defaults to the last brightness setting used. If you're pressing the 'down' button and putting it to the nightvision mode instead of pressing both buttons at the same time to turn it off, it will automatically default to the NV compatible settings (1 and 2), forcing you to cycle through to probably setting 5 or 6 for an easily visible dot."

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Got this operation explanation from PA:

"When you activate the MD-ADS, it automatically defaults to the last brightness setting used. If you're pressing the 'down' button and putting it to the nightvision mode instead of pressing both buttons at the same time to turn it off, it will automatically default to the NV compatible settings (1 and 2), forcing you to cycle through to probably setting 5 or 6 for an easily visible dot."

View Quote

That's actually a very nice feature. I wish EOTech would implement that into their sights. My 512 and EXPS 2-0 would just default to a middle of the road brightness which was WAY too bright for indoor use.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#18]
simple solution

absolute co-witness

push both buttons to turn off and last brightness setting is saved

win

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I may have to try one of these....
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
simple solution

absolute co-witness

win

View Quote

Which mount is that particular one?

And for sighting in did you happen to bore sight it first?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
simple solution

absolute co-witness

win

It's the factory, PA base on a small piece of rail.

Didn't have to bore sight it.  Started at 25 and shot it at 100 today.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's mine on an absolute cowitness American Defense mount. I love it.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top