Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 10:11:36 PM EDT
I know pretty much everyone agrees BUIS of some sort are needed in case an optic fails, but have you ever had an optic fail and need to use the BUIS?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
My optic was off once at the range after taking it off and replacing the mount. Dialed it in to the irons (cowitness).

BAM. Dead zero.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used my BUIS in training when the batteries on an old 512 EoTech died. Replaced the batteries at a break and i was GTG.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:29:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Yes.  I'm a retired L.E.O. and was issued a Colt LE6921 with an EOTech.  I installed new batteries before qualification and the EOTech failed after the first shot.  

I finished qualifying using my Magpul Back-Up Sight.  I actually shot better than anyone else that day.  

I had been having problems with the EOTech prior to qualification but thought I had it worked out.  I never trusted the EOTech after that.  

That's one of the reasons I have an Aimpoint M3 on my personal AR.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:52:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Had an Aimpoint (it had been dropped) fog up during qualification @ Ft Lewis in November 2010.  Ripped it off & switched to BUIS.  Still didn't qualify that day.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:53:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had an Aimpoint (it had been dropped) fog up during qualification @ Ft Lewis in November 2010.  Ripped it off & switched to BUIS.  Still didn't qualify that day.
View Quote

LOL.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:34:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Nope. Not yet.

Then again, I don't buy cheap optics unless it's going on a fun gun.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Needs an option for "only when using EOTech"
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I find BUIS unnecessary. If I'm in need of a back-up I'll use something more effective than irons, for all the same reasons I choose not to use irons as my primary.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nope. Not yet.

Then again, I don't buy cheap optics unless it's going on a fun gun.
View Quote

This, Aimpoints and ACOGs across the board.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Never had the need, which is why I'm a fan of micro BUIS like the KAC 600M micro and the integrated flip up front sight on the KAC URX II / III.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Not on my AR. Yes on a hunting bolt action rifle.  

I have dropped a scoped hunting rifle that was in QD mounts and hit it hard directly on the scope turrets area.   I did not want to make any test shots in the field that might spook a deer.  I removed the scope and did take a nice buck with the iron sights.  Turns out the scope was still zeroed, but I had no way to know at the time and did not want to fire live rounds to find out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Hostage situation, bad guy had an M16A1 and I had an M21 with condensation inside the scope (it looked like a fish tank).  He shot maybe a half-dozen rounds.

Yanked that sonofagun off and used the irons.

Shit happens.  No back-up and you'll need to think of possible other solutions, quick.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:10:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Needs an option for "only when using EOTech"
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:10:54 AM EDT
[#14]
At the range last week and my batteries were dead, and yes it was an Eotech.  Used the flip ups and shot fine....

ETA: I voted beans.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Where is the option for "Yes, I have an eotech."

I should buy stock in Duracell.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I never have. For the record 9mm and beans
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#17]
They look cooler with backup sights. Beans. 9mm. No nuts in my brownies. Pancakes. No ketchup on my hotdog or burgers. Cake. Plain Captain Crunch, no berries.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I've never needed to use my BUIS....and I have an Eotech.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've never needed to use my BUIS....and I have an Eotech.

View Quote

You need to shoot more lol.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#20]
No and I've been running Eotechs almost exclusively at work since 2007 with no failures. 553, XPS 2, and EXPS 3.

I have seen a coworker deploy his BUIS after the knob on his Aimpoint broke and he couldn't adjust the brightness going from dim inside to bright sun shine.  In fact I've seen more m68 CCOs fail than Eotechs, with the caveat that I have no experience with the older AA or N battery models.

Ymmv,
Rob

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I know pretty much everyone agrees BUIS of some sort are needed in case an optic fails, but have you ever had an optic fail and need to use the BUIS?
View Quote

the guy who wrote no easy day said he never had them on his rifle. He said his eotech never failed him.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#22]
It's a good question. I sprung for good optics (Aimpoints) and given their reputation I wonder if I really even NEED them.  I'll be interested to see what others say.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I have personally never used the BUIS for optic failure. If you get a good optic, then you will normally have zero issues. Most of the failures I'm reading here is a result of failed battery. To me that is something that's not a fault of the optic, but of the user. I always carry fresh batteries with me and when I store the rifle, I take the batteries out. Just hate the idea of having batteries in something I don't use. Other than that, most of my optics have the reticle etched in or light up by tritium so I don't have to worry about failures unless something crushed the optic.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  I have personally never used the BUIS for optic failure. If you get a good optic, then you will normally have zero issues. Most of the failures I'm reading here is a result of failed battery. To me that is something that's not a fault of the optic, but of the user. I always carry fresh batteries with me and when I store the rifle, I take the batteries out. Just hate the idea of having batteries in something I don't use. Other than that, most of my optics have the reticle etched in or light up by tritium so I don't have to worry about failures unless something crushed the optic.
View Quote

Count the posts above you again.  3 batteries, 2 condensations (1 on Aimpoint), another Aimpoint failure, banged scope.  One of the battery failures was on fresh batteries.  Despite the hate on EOTechs, Aimpoints are well represented here.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Had my red dot die in a carbine course about 1/2 way through, and like a noob didn't have a spare battery on hand.  Finished the day on irons.  I know...first world problems.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I guess we could ask the question has anyone ever had to use their rifle to defend themselves or their family....the vast majority would say NO and also id say I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it common sense and preparedness would dicatate that you should always build in redundancy into your deffense system this includes being able to use your rifle no matter wether optics get damaged or run out of juice .....even ACOGs can get damaged so have a system in place where the rifle can be utilized no matter what happens.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top