Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2014 3:48:39 PM EDT
In my quest to determine what kind of optic I want on my AR pistol, I have went from thinking of getting a little Armasight RDS, to an Eotech, to an Aimpoint Pro and now looking at the trijicon line of reflex sights.

Questions, those of you that have had a trijicon reflex sight what are some of the things that you did not like about it. Too dim during low light?  Also, I am assuming they are not NV compatible?

I almost went with a PRO then the coupon expired and I just can't seem to allow myself to get up in the $400 price range. I'm ok with the $350 ish range. Since I can get a used trijicon for that price that is where I am leaning. I would try and get a used PRO but they seem few and far between and the bidders like to bid them up to near new prices.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't like having to remove a sight to change batteries. So I won't be trying the Trijicon the Eotech looks good. I wish Aimpoint would make one with their technology you wouldn't have to have an on off switch just leave it one for four years.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one.  It was.... ok.

They are outdated.

I went to a 3x ACOG which was MUCH better overall.

Now I have a 1-6x variable which is light years better still.

I wouldn't recommend them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I just changed over from the Meprolight M21 (tritium/fiber optics like the Trijicon Reflex, best of the breed, IMHO) to the new Meprolight RDS. I loved the M21's ruggedness & simplicity, and the triangle reticle was both fast and precise using the tip of the triangle for precision shots.
However, there is the heavy lens tint which made it more difficult to use irons (no complaint w/it otherwise) and while more difficult than w/any other similar optic I've used, reticle washout can be achieved under certain lighting conditions.
The new Mepro RDS has nearly all the features I find appealing in an optic: wide FOV through the optic, AA battery w/long life (15K constant-on hours), motion-sensing auto-on/off feature, 1.8moa dot, .5moa adjustments (vs the M21's 1moa adjustments), good QD mount, easy to access/use brightness control and a price tag of only $379 was enough to convince me to give it a try: http://www.7-62precision.com/mepro-tru-dot-rds-red-dot-sight-with-1-8-moa-red-dot/
Don't get me wrong, I would gladly use an M21 again if that's all I had available and not feel disadvantaged, but the new RDS simply does more of what I want an optic to do (YMMV).
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I actually went the other way:  aimpoint to a meprolight m21. It's been a good choice so far.  No batteries,  dims only if you point into a lamp or th sun, automatically adjusts to an appropriate brightness level, and always on 24/7/365
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Had one about 15yrs ago.....wasn't as handy for me as the Aimpoint.
Sold it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:49:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The reflex was decent back in the late 90's / early 2000- the aimpoint is a superior choice
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I currently have a Reflex on one of my Rifles. It is old technology and the adjustable filter is a must when shooting outside, because the dot will wash out. I would go with an Eotech, Aimpoint or even an variable power Leupold if I only had one rifle. You can find Aimpoint Pros in the EE all of the time under $400.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Reflex on mt A2 rifle. Only because it is a good fit for the A2 carry handle. It's better than open sighta but Aimpoint RDS is much better and I would never put a Reflex on a railed upper.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top