Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2014 8:50:11 PM EDT
You'd think the front sight would be visibly canted, but it's not.

My rail looks straight when compared to the reciever, as far as I can tell. The dot zeros fine (obviously.) The irons are KAC micros, and I have to max the rear to the left, and it's still not quite zeroed..

The only thing I notice as "off" is that the Centurion CMR rail is slightly off in dimension compared to the upper receiver, but I assume it's within "spec."  - I took the sights off to make sure there wasnt any debris or anything under them. They're sitting flat.

What am I not thinking of?

*forgive my shitty cellpotato photos

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Had the same issue with my CMR. It was a problem with the barrel nut, which in my opinion is very poorly designed. I would check, with calipers the distance between the barrel and the inside of the rail at the front.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Had the same issue with my CMR. It was a problem with the barrel nut, which in my opinion is very poorly designed. I would check, with calipers the distance between the barrel and the inside of the rail at the front.
View Quote

For some reason, that hadn't crossed my mind...

The gap between the rail and barrel is 0.377 on the right and 0.422 on the left. Bingo bango. That explains it perfectly.

Did centurion help you out?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
.377 what? .422 what?  What unit of measure?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Inches
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Inches
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Inches

Yes, this.

But, realistically, does it matter what unit? It's off center to the right, which would definitely cause my rear to be maxed left.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#7]
How many ft lbs of torque did you apply to the barrel nut?

Does the barrel wobble?

I think this issue may be related to your receiver and barrel extension. If the barrel but is not tight enough, your barrel may be sitting ever so cockeyed due to its interface with the face of the upper receiver.

If you used plenty of torque, your receiver may need truing with a Brownells truing tool.

If neither of those things are the issue, then I would be at a loss.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How many ft lbs of torque did you apply to the barrel nut?

Does the barrel wobble?

I think this issue may be related to your receiver and barrel extension. If the barrel but is not tight enough, your barrel may be sitting ever so cockeyed due to its interface with the face of the upper receiver.

If you used plenty of torque, your receiver may need truing with a Brownells truing tool.

If neither of those things are the issue, then I would be at a loss.
View Quote

It's tight.

The barrel/upper formerly had a TRX-Extreme Alpha mounted to a USGI barrel nut. The barrel sat perfectly centered in that tube, which was actually a little longer.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Using the straight-edge, having checked the top of the picatinny rail, check the alignment of the picatinny rail from the rear-edge of the upper to the front-edge of the rail for the left and right sides. What did you find out?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Using the straight-edge, having checked the top of the picatinny rail, check the alignment of the picatinny rail from the rear-edge of the upper to the front-edge of the rail for the left and right sides. What did you find out?
View Quote
I dont have anything quite long enough to span the entire distance, but from the best I can tell, the rail does sit a hair crooked. Emailed Centurion about a barrel nut, but I'm ordering a receiver lapping tool in the event centurion doesnt want to help me out. I'm sure it's not 100% perfect, but like I said, the last rail I had on here was centered (or atleast centered enough that I didnt notice any issues visually, or with sighting in.)

I guess theoretically the previous rail could've been crooked in the opposite direction of the receiver and thus balanced it out.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top