Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2014 12:45:10 AM EDT
I'm brand new to the forums, so forgive me if I botch this post or picture uploads. So, I bought a new S&W M&P -15 OR from a LGS almost two years ago and it sat without a round down range until two months ago. I bought Troy BUIS, H&K front and standard rear, from eBay a year ago and mounted them two months ago. They were non-micros , set up for same plane mounting. Took it to the range to zero it at 25 yards and it was way off. Like so far off I wasn't even hitting paper; up and to the left. I had to make some hefty adjustments to "zero" it, but now the rear aperture is so far to the right that it's annoying to shoot. The front sight post seems to be abnormally high as the circular base plate of the front post is visible while looking down the sights and there is a gap between base plate of the post and the sight mount ( sorry if that's confusing).

I thought I may have been duped into buying faux Troy sights, but I read that the fakes feel cheap, are loose and easy to spot. The ones I have feel tough and durable, they lock out sturdily, and have little-to-no play when locked in upright position. For those wondering, they are stamped "Folding Battle Sight - Cage Code 3EZ11 - Troy Industries, INC. ". At first, I thought they were fake because of the "cage code" stamp vs "P/N", but I read from several sources that Troy uses cage code as a "Commercial and Goverment Entity" marking for manufacturer ID.  My questions are simple really... 1.) Is that normal or somewhat common for Troy's to need that much adjustment 2.) If not, has it been known of M&P-15's manufactured around early 2013 to have quality control issues - specific to uppers? I kinda worry that is the case because of manufacturers being under the gun (pun intended) to pump out guns due to the supply vs demand issue at the time. 3.) Are they just the wrong sight set up for my rifle? I'm P/O'd that I may have a junk rifle or sights. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:19:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Figured it out. Thanks.

</a>" />

</a>" />

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:22:04 AM EDT
[#2]
http://imgur.com/ is a free pic hosting site. I'm not sure about the restrictions on new guys posting pics, but you can at least copy-paste the URL.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:29:55 AM EDT
[#3]
So you are just using the troy buis front and rear? Pictures would help a ton, but I don't know if there's a grace period..  I haven't tried posting any... quad rail? Independent rail up front? Fixed front sight? I'm just a tad bit lost .

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:45:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, I was limited to 2000 characters so i had to be brief. Front sight is mounted on the gas block, which is supposedly same plane with the top rail of the upper. Attached are photo links to my rifle / sights. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:49:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry, I was limited to 2000 characters so i had to be brief. Front sight is mounted on the gas block, which is supposedly same plane with the top rail of the upper. Attached are photo links to my rifle / sights. Thanks.
View Quote

Honestly, I don't think it's the rifle qc I think it could be that your upper rail and front rail could be different heights. That wouldn't really explain the wicked "curve" though. Unless the block is on a slight angle as well.... Or it could be that you got two different buis with different heights, setup... I've heard of uppers being bent slightly but I highly doubt it. I don't know if the rifle would function.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:59:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like in the picture with just the front, it looks slightly off par to the right.... might be just me but I'm usually not wrong when it comes to that stuff (I place decals on vehicles often) it's looking to be the gas block not being 100% aligned...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:37:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like in the picture with just the front, it looks slightly off par to the right.... might be just me but I'm usually not wrong when it comes to that stuff (I place decals on vehicles often) it's looking to be the gas block not being 100% aligned...
View Quote

Good eye. Yeah, that's my POS bolt on UTG quad rail that's kind of bent or just not milled correctly. Shouldn't have any effect on the gas block / upper rail though
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:07:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I think this old post from January 2013 might be onto something. I bought mine in February 2013 , so I wonder if S&W had a quality control issue during the gun ban talk. Hope Smith's warranty covers a brand new 2013 rifle...

http://beta.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=599656

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#9]
If you're the original purchaser, I'm sure they have a lifetime on their guns. And they obviously know about the problem from 13. And I would say winner winner chicken dinner. Seems like it is a manufacturer defect.

I know my delton has a lifetime ... idk about sw
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Just thought I'd update this in the event anyone reading was curious or if had a similar problem. I called  S&W on a Monday and without a single question, the customer service rep e-mailed me a pre-paid shipping label via FedEx. Shipped it that Wednesday and got it back the next Friday. While S&W didn't clearly state what they fixed, I noticed the gas block had in fact been replaced or re-aligned. To make things better, they included a set of non-folding front / rear sights for my inconvenience. Took it out to the range and it was pretty much dead nuts. Slight elevation / windage change and I was in business. Kudos to S&W for their outstanding customer service and for that, consider me a loyal customer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just thought I'd update this in the event anyone reading was curious or if had a similar problem. I called  S&W on a Monday and without a single question, the customer service rep e-mailed me a pre-paid shipping label via FedEx. Shipped it that Wednesday and got it back the next Friday. While S&W didn't clearly state what they fixed, I noticed the gas block had in fact been replaced or re-aligned. To make things better, they included a set of non-folding front / rear sights for my inconvenience. Took it out to the range and it was pretty much dead nuts. Slight elevation / windage change and I was in business. Kudos to S&W for their outstanding customer service and for that, consider me a loyal customer.
View Quote

Good deal. Glad it worked out. Happy Shooting
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top