Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2014 9:38:20 PM EDT
I'm over budget on my build (surprise surprise) and in the end I want to pick up an aimpoint, but thats a few months down the road. In the meantime I would like to run iron sights, I have a troy 11" vtac on my 10.5" barrel(muzzle device protrudes past it an inch or 2).
I like the DD fixed iron sights but i'm leary of how well it will retain its accuracy on this rail.  I don't shoot much past 100 yards, don't do much more than go to the range or plink on a ranch.  Anyone have any input for improving my choice of sights or improving my setup? While i don't foresee using this thing as a pry bar I don't wrap my rifles in swaddling clothes and store them in a manger.

I'd rather sound dumb and ask than look dumb trying to fix it later.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If the rail is properly installed you should have 0 issues. The DD sights are far and away my favorite fixed sights.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:28:17 AM EDT
[#2]
My only ar is, as of right now, primarily an irons only gun. It's a noveske n4 light recce with a cl barrel and dd ris ii rail. I run lmt irons and slap my steel silhouette target at 200 yards prone with boringly consistent results(not hard for anyone by any means). This is my go to gun and have ZERO qualms about using irons on this free float rail. While your rail is obviously different and doesn't lock up like the dd, I would not sweat it one bit. Frank Proctor uses a Troy rail and irons a bunch in videos and doesn't seem to sweat it (merely one example for you to go check out). Don't lose sleep over it.
Where in our great state are you? Post a pic of your gun, I'd like to see it!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My only ar is, as of right now, primarily an irons only gun. It's a noveske n4 light recce with a cl barrel and dd ris ii rail. I run lmt irons and slap my steel silhouette target at 200 yards prone with boringly consistent results(not hard for anyone by any means). This is my go to gun and have ZERO qualms about using irons on this free float rail. While your rail is obviously different and doesn't lock up like the dd, I would not sweat it one bit. Frank Proctor uses a Troy rail and irons a bunch in videos and doesn't seem to sweat it (merely one example for you to go check out). Don't lose sleep over it.
Where in our great state are you? Post a pic of your gun, I'd like to see it!
View Quote

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I'm right down the road from Tactical Firearms in Katy. The bottom picture is of the last one i built, top is current build. While I like #2 I wanted to do somethings differently. #1 has an Aero lower, 1:9 10.5" barrel, KAK flash can, ares BCG and longer buffer tube. PSA MOE LPK and i really want to find a 2 stage trigger. Noveske Raptor charge handle and spikes upper.
#2 is mag tactical lower, crappy gritty no feedback cmmg trigger, 1:7 melonited barrel, short buffer tube, ares phosphate bcg, aimpoint, vtac rail, PSA cha)rge handle(which absolutely sucked with the sig brace because of the way the bottom of the handle was machined

Here's #1:

And #2:
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top