Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2014 6:50:15 PM EDT
hi!
i have a stag model 2 with a fixed A2 front sight and flip up magpul rear sight (i want to keep that). This rifle is mainly a "sh*t hits the fan" gun.
so if you had to put a sight on this set up. what would you use? Eotech? a leupold? Aimpoint? i want to pick one up used if its a higher end one. im on a college budget.
make sure to follow my right wing nutjob page on instagram: @godgunsandgop
also its a 16" barrel and will soon have a troy claymore on it

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Patrol Rifle Optic
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Aimpoint or EOTech.

#HitMeUpOnDaTwitta
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Patrol Rifle Optic
View Quote
This, Aimpoint PRO

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Aimpoint, but since its for SHTF then I suggest you master your irons too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Patrol Rifle Optic
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#6]

there was this other poor college kid on here and he had $2000 invested in his rifle, so I'm not sure what college budget means anymore.... when I was college age, we ate ramen noodles and bought $49 bb guns at Service Merchandise.

Anyway, I would put a Primary Arms micro red dot on there.  SHTF comes and your battery shits the bed... You are back to your BUIS anyway.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#7]
yeah im on the same one you are and thats a very very good point.

thanks to everyone else too
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Either EOTech or Aimpoint will be fine.  I have owned probably 10 EOTechs and 7 or 8 Aimpoints and I personally like the EOTechs.  To me, the rectangular window is more appealing and i like the reticle better as well.  I have never had a problem with either.  Battery life for the aimpoints are awesome but AA batteries are so widely available, I wouldn't be worried about running out of batteries in a SHTF situation.  I would put a light on there looooong b4 i went to the claymore.  Not even considering Troy's less than desirable political decisions from the past, its a linear comp which is really good for short rifles but is completely unnecessary on a 16".  Also, the fireball that comes out of the claymore is pretty intense.  Not trying to trash you ideas but for a SHTF rifle, muzzle flash is really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXLWM08HDxA
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the input! i already put a streamlight on it btw and i love it
ive seen many videos like this where it looks like there isnt much flash at all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaayLT7LiCQ do you happen to know from experience? i hate when youtube videos contradict eachother
thanks again man
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Aimpoint Pro
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for Aimpoint Pro.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
thanks for the input! i already put a streamlight on it btw and i love it
ive seen many videos like this where it looks like there isnt much flash at all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaayLT7LiCQ do you happen to know from experience? i hate when youtube videos contradict eachother
thanks again man
View Quote

I have, it was on a 10.5 so it was a different length but it was definitely noticeable.  Its not like you are going to have to make it permanent so if you don't like it, it isn't like you can't swap it out for something else.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Aimpoint Pro or T1
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:00:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Higher end IMHO, aimpoint pro, and even if the batteries last thousands of hours, buy a bunch extra anyways. For anything new under about the $300 mark, IMHO, lucid HD7 is unbeatable for cost/value/quality ratio, and its impressed me more than vortex, primary arms, Burris, etc. (all good companies, just my $.02)
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:25:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Patrol Rifle Optic

this

^^^
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:34:10 AM EDT
[#16]
dupe
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the AIMPOINT PRO .... have one on my target shooting rifle bling laden show rifle.

My SHTF rifles is a basic, bone stock iron sighted AR15

Quoted:AA batteries are so widely available, I wouldn't be worried about running out of batteries in a SHTF situation.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:AA batteries are so widely available, I wouldn't be worried about running out of batteries in a SHTF situation.  

Having lived through some relatively minor SHTF real life problems I can tell you without a doubt that two of the hardest things to find will be ....
"AA" Batteries
"D"

I have about 6 or 7 flashlights that use "C" cell batteries solely because I know what happens to the supply of AA and D batteries in the stores.

However we are changing over to LED lights that use "AAA" because of their physical size and good availability during natural disasters like hurricanes, and blizzards.

Of course this is a regional thing, and what you experience when SHTF in your region may be different.

Quoted:

Yeah ..... SHTF means your cute little battery powered optic site has failed as well.

If you cannot shoot without optics, you cannot shoot !!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#18]
im reading all of these relies and it definitely seems aimpoint pro is the way to go thanks guys

but whst shtf situations have you experienced?! were they in the US???
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like the AIMPOINT PRO .... have one on my target shooting rifle bling laden show rifle.

Having lived through some relatively minor SHTF real life problems I can tell you without a doubt that two of the hardest things to find will be ....
"AA" Batteries
"D"

I have about 6 or 7 flashlights that use "C" cell batteries solely because I know what happens to the supply of AA and D batteries in the stores.

However we are changing over to LED lights that use "AAA" because of their physical size and good availability during natural disasters like hurricanes, and blizzards.

Of course this is a regional thing, and what you experience when SHTF in your region may be different.

Yeah ..... SHTF means your cute little battery powered optic site has failed as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

"AA" Batteries
"D"

Quoted:

Why... I think that the idea that something MAY fail, so therefore, I am not going to even have it on my rifle is about the dumbest concept in the AR world.  Back up irons really have alleviated any concern of mine for running electronic optics.  Worst case scenario, my "cute little battery powered optic fails" and i shoot off my FSP until I have the 1-2sec I need to put up the irons... which can be run through EOTechs, Aimpoints, ect.  So.... you can go ahead and purposely put yourself at a disadvantage, but I prefer to use what I have available to me and if something goes wrong, have a backup plan to deal with it.

ETA... I shot nothing but irons for about 3 years and I absolutely love the stock look with the carry handle and all but in no way do I see ultimate practicality in that "KISS" setup.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#20]
EoTech...

But if I were an impoverished college student, I'd go with a $189 Lucid HD7. It is a good, reliable RDS that is perfectly serviceable on a duty rifle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I like Aimpoints.  The Bushnell TRS-25 is a pretty good mini red dot for under $100.  If the budget was too tight for an Aimpoint I would get the Bushnell.        

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Just remember, just because you get an optic doesn't mean you can neglect using and practicing with your iron sights.

That being said, I'd also suggest a PRO. I've used primary arms in the past until I saved up enough for a good optic.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Eotech or Aimpoint
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Might take some saving, but I'd use a Aimpoint PRO in a LaRue mount that gives lower 1/3 co-witness and then ditch the flip up rear sight for  a fixed sight.  Exactly how I have my Colt 6920 setup.  

Just watch for deals.  LaRue mounts can be had for good prices on the EE, and watch Amazon for random deals.  I found my Troy fixed rear sight one day for $53 Prime eligible on Amazon.  I would have went Daniel Defense over Troy, but I couldn't pass up that deal.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#25]
assuming you are a noob to shooting or just a casual shooter....it really all depends on how much ammo you plan on keeping on tap and how many mags you have. if you anything less than a few hundred rounds and a couple mags i doubt you'd live long enough for it to matter. not being mean, just think about it.

this should be the real question to ask yourself. IMO, anything short of 2000 rounds and enough mags to load at least half that if not enough. sighting systems are secondary, just learn to use and maintain your rifle properly first.

cheap optics are not an option for a SHTF rifle. if you want a RDS but dont trust batteries then look at the trijicon reflex or meprolight.

i have rifles with aimpoints for the initial hit but i have rifles with irons for what comes next.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
EoTech...

But if I were an impoverished college student, I'd go with a $189 Lucid HD7. It is a good, reliable RDS that is perfectly serviceable on a duty rifle.
View Quote

If cost is a factor, the HD7 has proven to be very rugged and reliable for me.  If size and weight are also a factor, Lucid has the little  Aimpoint T-1 sized Lucid M7 microdot.  It has all the advanced features of the HD7 except no multiple reticle choices.  It uses the EOTech style circle dot, which is the best of the of the ones on the HD7.

Fine 2 MOA dot, surrounded by 25 MOA circle.  Automatic intensity adjudtment to changes in ambient light, manual override for any odd lighting, two hour auto shutoff, single AAA battery available everywhere at 2 a.m. convenience stores on holidays, and equally durable.  I have two, running one on a tactical shotgun (impervious to heavy 12 gauge slug and buckshot recoil) and the other is set up absolute cowitness on a carbine in a nice ADM QD mount.  Only 4.7 ounces, including battery.  6.4 ounces in the ADM QD riser.  Even has tethered battery and turret caps.  $189 shipped from most vendors.  You need to purchase a riser separately for the M7.  Only about $20 for a fixed riser, more for true QD.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Ever consider a trijicon reflex? They are hell-sturdy and don't use batteries.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#28]
thanks man! i always knew about the hd7 but this is the first im hearing of the m7

do you know how reliable/durable it is?
i want to know that if i drop my rifle once or twice on accident i dont have to rezero it cuz its 2 feet off

looking more into it now, thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
thanks man! i always knew about the hd7 but this is the first im hearing of the m7

do you know how reliable/durable it is?
i want to know that if i drop my rifle once or twice on accident i dont have to rezero it cuz its 2 feet off

looking more into it now, thanks
View Quote

I have not deliberately torture tested the M7.  Here is what I can say.  The one on my tactical shotgun has no problem with heavy recoil.  During one range session testing Federal Flight Control 00 buckshot, I actually shot the Picatinny rail off of the shotgun with the M7 on it.  The top of the receiver on Remington 1100 shotguns is very thin. I drilled and tapped it for a Mesa Tactical rail as a part of the tactical conversion.  When I took it to the range, the heavy recoil literally tore the mounting screws away from the receiver.  The rail and M7 were pretty violently thrown airborne and hit the dirt several paces away.  When I picked it up, the M7 was still illuminated.  That ended the day. I ended up using the saddle style rail in the photo and plugged the receiver holes with epoxy.

I reinstalled the M7, laser boresighted it and cowitnessed it with the irons and returned a couple weeks later to the range.  I've put a bit over 100 rounds of buckshot and slugs through it since then and the little M7 has not missed a beat.  I can't call this combat testing, but it has impressed me enough that I trust it for home defense.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Eotech or aimpoint.  I stick with eotech for me its less like looking thru a tube, i have better situational awareness.  make sure you are good with your irons too if its for shtf.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top