Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2014 4:34:42 PM EDT
*Disclaimer*
I am fairly new to the world of reflex sights.
I will not be spending hundreds of dollars on a sight.
Being active military we are trained to use iron sights and those are good enough.
(I am not a mall ninja or a tacticool fanboy)
High end optics are fun for military applications however I see no practical situation for civilian use.
My question is for research purposes that Google cannot satisfy.
*End disclaimer*

Has anyone out there tried etching or drawing their own reticle on a cheap or lower end reflex sight?

I realize there will be problems with parallax but as far as a quick acquisition and reliability does it work well?

I have some theories about bore sighting and marking it that way and have yet to try just wanted to do some digging
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you thinking of just drawing it on a lens? I doubt that would work out to well. Wouldn't that be like trying to aim the gun with just a front site?

ETA: if you are concerned with reliability, either spend the money for a good sight or use a good pair of irons. The sight is just as important as the rifle. What good is the rifle if you can't see or hit what you need to?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#2]

just paint your FSP orange if you want to see it quicker rather than screw around with drawing on optics.

then come back when you get over "good enough" and want something that's actually better in every single way
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#3]
"good enough" for what? as far as hitting paper or the occasional predator on the back 40 I cant justify the price of an ACOG because they are marketed specifically for those who cant normally afford them i.e. military/ law enforcement.
just merely asking if anyone has tried it
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
It will not work with any consistency or reliability , so much so if you ask me it would be dangerous.  If you dont want to spend hundreds, i can understand that, but then stick with irons or get a budget scope...look at a primary arms microdot for under $100.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
thank you for answering my question without prejudice.

and i will look into that. its hard to sift through the marketing "shock proof" and what that really means.
my biggest concern is dot drift and losing zero. i see such mixed reviews and even some less expensive RDS holding zero but they never specify if its for a .223 or a .22 or an airsoft.
of course i know EoT AP and Triji will hold because that is what they are made to do in high round firefights.
i jsut want one that will hold through a day of hunting or at the range
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Still using irons to qualify? Its a joke for 11Bs, that all other MOS are support to Infantry, I didn't qualify w/ irons once past 4th week of basic/AIT.  We were givin M68(aimpoint) or ACOG(if assigned DM)...(4ID) Had to zero a MATECH for BUIS on several occasions, but never qualify w/ irons after the turtle cover up...
Where/what unit are you w/?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#7]
i am not here to argue irons vs optic. relying on an optic is a luxury. if it breaks or gets blown off then what? i train like i fight.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i am not here to argue irons vs optic. relying on an optic is a luxury. if it breaks or gets blown off then what? i train like i fight.
View Quote

LOL, ok sure thing...
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

and i will look into that. its hard to sift through the marketing "shock proof" and what that really means.
my biggest concern is dot drift and losing zero. i see such mixed reviews and even some less expensive RDS holding zero but they never specify if its for a .223 or a .22 or an airsoft.
of course i know EoT AP and Triji will hold because that is what they are made to do
View Quote

IMO this is your best bet for under 100.  I have one and have abused it pretty well, it holds zero perfectly.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Fixed_Base_p/md-fbgii.htm
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

IMO this is your best bet for under 100.  I have one and have abused it pretty well, it holds zero perfectly.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Fixed_Base_p/md-fbgii.htm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

of course i know EoT AP and Triji will hold because that is what they are made to do

For an AR, get the removable base and a good mount

You'll have no issues losing zero with a PA Micro.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#11]
that looks like the Bushnell everyone is raving about. I may have to try it.
If i knew exactly what makes the dot drift from recoil i could get in and fix it but no one seems to know the answer as well.
Maybe it has to do with the knob vs allen wrench adjustment
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a red dot with an improved reticle rather than a simple dot.  For example, the Lucid HD7 has a separate reticle turret with four choices.  Besides a dot, there is an EOTech type circle dot, a 25 MOA circle around a 2 MOA dot.  It also has an ACOG type chevron calibrated for M193 ammo, and a "T" dot with a horizontal bar (useful to prevent canting) around a series of vertical dots for initial zero and longer range holdover.

The circle dot is very effective for rapid target acquisition. The HD7 is rugged, armored, ACOG size, and usually sells for about $189 or less, shipped.  I have run it on a 12 gauge tactical shotgun with full power buckshot and slugs.  That recoil does not faze it.  The one in the photo is mine.  It does have upgraded ADM QD lever mounts and optional Butler Creek lens caps.  Lower 1/3 cowitness with your irons.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#13]
What tha.....

This dude has GOT to be ... familiar
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#14]
nice MS i will look into that as well.
i bought a cheap $40 firefield open reflex sight from walmart and stripped the guts and adjustment knobs added a few drops of locktite and permanent mounting tape to align it with my BUIS picture.
havent tested it at the range and its far from perfect but as long as it stays centered on my FIS its sufficient. (pics coming soon)
i know ACOGs and Trijis work but i like to tinker and its easier to tinker on a $40 piece of equipment and mess up that instead of a $400 one
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top