Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2014 5:52:00 AM EDT
Excuse the sarcasm.

http://www.parapacemarms.com/share/forums/Foggy_M150.JPG

I own 8 diffrent Trijicon scopes/dots and this was not what I expected after a (barely) rainy range trip yesterday with a ACOG (M150) less than four months old.

Really annoying. In best case, I get Trijicon to cover this but I still get to unmount, pay for intl. shipping, wait 1-2 months, remount and zero my sight.
In worst case, I have a 1500 dollar paper weight.

Have a ECOS on the way, will do in the meantime...

Anyone else got this issue and how was it resolved?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:55:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Excuse the sarcasm.

I own 8 diffrent Trijicon scopes/dots and this was not what I expected after a (barely) rainy range trip yesterday with a ACOG (M150) less than four months old.

Really annoying. In best case, I get Trijicon to cover this but I still get to unmount, pay for intl. shipping, wait 1-2 months, remount and zero my sight.
In next-worst case, I have a 1500 dollar paper weight.
In absolutely worst case, they tell me I should not own this outside of USA and keep it :(

View Quote

Ship it to a contact in the US first, then have them deal with Trijicon if you legally own it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I will try to send it back to the US dealer for repair.
Of course, this sight was exported with all necessary papers, but still it is much hassle and I would be suprised if I have it back within two months...

Seems to be fairly uncommon, I have not found any similar issues after a Google search.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, I have owned a lot of ACOG's and never had something like this happen. Of course I live in a very dry state here in the US. I would be furious tho if you bought that new and had that occur. I would call and ask trijicon to pay for it since that would be on them I would assume.

Looks like a thunderstorm was inside your optic and not outside
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Excuse the sarcasm.

In next-worst case, I have a 1500 dollar paper weight.
In absolutely worst case, they tell me I should not own this outside of USA and keep it :(

View Quote

Id be fucking pissed. A 4 month old 2,000 dollar scope and it fogged up. Im sorry that happened to you
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I think that I would ask Trijicon to send me a new scope with a prepaid postage box for their broken model.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#6]
They are called AFOG  -
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Swedes can own acogs?  Isn't that a restricted export?
Maybe they just export the foggy defective models.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I own a couple ACOG's and don't think that I have ever heard or read about this before.  I have had mine out in rain, freezing rain, sleet, mist, snow, blizzard (just once), hail etc and NEVER had the first issue with any of them.

Betcha Trijicon would be interested in getting their hands on it to see what caused the failure.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Fakecog?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are called AFOG  -
View Quote

Ba-zinga!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Fakecog?
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#12]
What is that string thing hanging down in front of the eyepiece?

I am not going to tell someone that owns 8 different Trijicon's that one of them is fake, but something is not adding up.

Can you post some more pics of the sight?

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#13]
what bible verse is on the side?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Some of the replies in here.....you wouldn't think this was a tech forum

It's not fake.

It has, for whatever reason, lost it's seal and nitrogen purge.  Triji uses dry nitrogen to prevent exactly what you're seeing.  It is rare but it does happen, especially with heavily used ACOGs.  Even more rare is what happened to you, a factory broken seal.  

Since you're out of the country, I couldn't really say what they'll do for you.  Provided you bought it legally and through an approved vendor, I'd think that you're ok.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Some of the replies in here.....you wouldn't think this was a tech forum

It's not fake.

It has, for whatever reason, lost it's seal and nitrogen purge.  Triji uses dry nitrogen to prevent exactly what you're seeing.  It is rare but it does happen, especially with heavily used ACOGs.  Even more rare is what happened to you, a factory broken seal.  

Since you're out of the country, I couldn't really say what they'll do for you.  Provided you bought it legally and through an approved vendor, I'd think that you're ok.
View Quote
I find it hard to believe it left the factory like that with something hanging down inside. maybe someone took it apart?

here is the distributor in Sweden from Trijicon's site

Venatio AB

+46 (0) 35 22 82 52

Kristinebergsvagen 17

SE-302 41 Halmstad,

Sweden
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I find it hard to believe it left the factory like that with something hanging down inside. maybe someone took it apart?

View Quote

I didn't want to throw that stone, especially from one picture.  It is definitely a possibility though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#17]
No worries, it's bought legally.
They are regulated but not restricted. It is at Trijicon as we speak.

I know a fakecog when I see it. Used to run one on my 22LR upper but switched to a TA01.

As said, this was the first time for me too. My other ACOG's are still ok (one is probably from 2004-2006).
The odd string there comes from the blinds rope hanging in the window. Got nothing to do with the scope, IKEA is to blame ;)

BTW, here is a picture from a Swedish armed forces AK5-C during a evaluation of ACOG so you should not be surprised.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/466524_419161178100954_1211249980_o.jpg
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I have owned 3 ACOGs, and the most recent 2 were both defective from the factory.  I have lost my confidence in Trijicon products and will never buy another ACOG.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#19]
It happens.  I've seen it happen with one .mil optic personally and another guy who fiddle fucked with his housing.  I've been around hundreds of ACOGs and personally had/been issued almost a dozen.  It's not a common problem.

Straight out, nothing is perfect.  There are always manufacture defects.  Even reliable brands like Trijicon, NightForce, Aimpoint, Colt, BCM, etc, etc, etc have shit slide through or break.  It's an economy of scale thing.  My father is on his 3rd new BMW due to factory defects....   It's not something you expect out of a premium product but it does happen to the best of them.

The real key is how the company deals with it.  Yours is generally an easy fix.  Maybe being out of the USA will complicate things but that's just me guessing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Had an Aimpoint M4 fog on the qual range @ Ft Lewis.  Issue was solved by deploying to a hot dry climate.  

In Aimpoint's defense the optic had clearly been dropped.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:The real key is how the company deals with it.
View Quote

Totally agree.

I also agree with the rest of your post. Shit happens and everyone's got Mondays...
If Trijicon ever read this, I would advice them to do a proper test of seal before shipping. Monday manufacturing is what it is, but quality control and shipping could be made any other day of the week (and aftermarket/service repair on fridays only ).
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes that would irk me too. Acogs aren't cheap here in the states and are likely much more so in Europe. It certainly isn't a common occurrence but every maker of high end glass has customers who this has happened to. On the up side they will take care of you. I have an acog which was bought new and had a small bit of the green chevron not lighting up ( like a black spot on the right side of the arrow). After ignoring it for months and doubting my eyes I finally sent it in to be looked at. Really didn't want to be without it for months on end but to my surprise it turned up about 2 or 3 weeks later.

It had brand new objective and ocular lenses, new tritium, and new illumination gadgetry. It was a 2009 model where only the arrow and tip of vert line lit up, when I got it back triple the amount of line lit along with the 400m line like new models. Even put new and unstripped slot head screws into the bobro qd mount for me! I was quite pleased and aside from not reimbursing me for shipping there's nothing I can complain about. Their turn around sucked during the heavier parts of the wars but trijicon should turn it around right quick and may even send a new optic all together.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I've had rco models fog up on rainy days. Water gets behid the kill flash and it made it look foggy. Not sure if that was the case with yours or not.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I've seen that happen after extensive US Marine abuse Something broke on the inside.

Send it back to Trijicon for repair or replacement.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top