Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2014 8:14:53 PM EDT
So the MBUS is only $44 at Amazon, and its sold by Amazon themselves not some third party seller. Anyone ordered one? What are the chances its a fake?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the reviews:

162 of 168 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE OF FAKE COUNTERFEITS, August 29, 2013
By Jay - See all my reviews
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Magpul Gen 2 MBUS Rear Flip Sight, Black (Sports)
The product I received is an obvious fake and it was "Ships and Sold by Amazon". The only reason I initially became suspicious is because I bought the front sights at a Magpul dealer but they were out of stock on the rear so I purchased the rear on amazon and there is a huge difference in quality. This is not the air soft version but a version specifically made to trick people into buying counterfeits. After checking out the real version here are the reasons it's a counterfeit.

1) The aperture(the hole you look through to see the front sight) is plastic and flops around loosely. The genuine one is plastic but without mold marks and is very tight.
2) The gen 2 aperture should have 3 positions small, large, and wide open. The fake only has small and large but will not completely fold down for wide open.
3) The plastic molding quality is inferior and you can see molding marks everywhere.
4) The sight should have "MBUS" molded onto it the counterfeit does not.
5) The fake sight does not lay flat on the rail and is slightly raised towards the rear and is not as low profile.
6) The spring that flips the sight up is much weaker than the genuine.
7) The left and right aperture adjustment is very rough and doesn't turn smoothly. The fake one is also missing the hash marks to indicate how far left and right.
8) The screw that holds it onto the rail is a hex screw, the genuine attaches with a flat head screw.

I am not an expert in Magpul products but these are the issues that were immediately apparent. The airsoft version is at least marketed as an airsoft version and costs only $15 a set. This was obviously made to trick people into thinking it is genuine and selling for $50+ for just one sight.

Beware of all Amazon products because Amazon shares its inventory with other sellers that have shipped them items to sell via Prime or Free Shipping. If the barcode on the package matches something Amazon already sells, the inventory is combined with Amazon's inventory to save warehouse space. The sellers know this and will ship Amazon fake merchandise with the real barcode and it will get mixed in together. After this Amazon has no way of knowing where it came from so even "Ships an Sold by Amazon" gets tainted with counterfeit merchandise.

Hopefully some people will see this review buried in the hundreds of reviews. The actual Magpul rear sight is 5 stars but the fakes are 0 stars and amazon gets 0 stars for continuing to let it happen.
View Quote

A user replied to this review and said he got the real deal. I would just skip the B.S./gamble and buy from a trustworthy source.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I read through the reviews. I just wanted to know if anyone here has first hand experience.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#5]
That one is real. I ordered it not long ago. Plus - its a prime eligible item. They'll take it back no questions asked if its fake.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I read through the reviews. I just wanted to know if anyone here has first hand experience.
View Quote

I bought three pair from Amazon this year.  All had flat head screw mounts, could lay both peeps down on rear which has the hash marks.  Just went to look to see if Magpul logo was molded in; which it is.  I do however prefer the PRO model which costs considerably more.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I just posted a warning about this a couple days ago. I received a MBUS rear sight from Amazon that was visually a good copy but functionally was clearly a fake. I returned it and bought one from MidwayUSA and immediately could tell the difference between the two. I no longer buy gun parts off of Amazon. I'd rather spend a few bucks more and buy from a vendor that I know sells the real deal.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:07:43 AM EDT
[#8]
got me a set from amazon and they are gtg the real thing
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#9]
If supplied by Amazon and listed as manufactured by Magpul I would trust it. If it turns out to be fake Amazon will make it right.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If supplied by Amazon and listed as manufactured by Magpul I would trust it. If it turns out to be fake Amazon will make it right.
View Quote
This.  They have paid return shipping on anything I had issues with.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Ordered one from them a few week ago - mine was legit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#12]
We've sold the complete set Gen ll ,for about $75.00-80.00 for about a year now, I'd have to look it up to be sure, but it's not over $80.00
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Get them from PSA the real thing not some Chinese crap
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Get them from PSA the real thing not some Chinese crap
View Quote

I bought the Pro Model about a week ago for $75 off of amazon. It's the real deal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow just to save $10? this is why I don't order parts from amazon or flea bay.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:10:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Order from reputable people (like Amazon itself) and you're good.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't buy from amazon or e-bay because you don't want to save money?

Did I read that right? You don't buy from those places because people who do saved $10 and you don't want to save $10?

Sorry I repeated myself, but I honestly had to do a double take to make sure I just read what I thought I read...
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't buy gun parts off of Amazon/Ebay due to the fakes that are out there.  Plus, site sponsors such as Primary Arms almost always have a sale on these kinds of parts.  I would prefer to support the industry, just my $.02.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Did I read that right? You don't buy from those places because people who do saved $10 and you don't want to save $10?

Sorry I repeated myself, but I honestly had to do a double take to make sure I just read what I thought I read...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it is only ten dollars.  And to worry about getting some fake crap.  No thanks.  Spend the extra ten dollars now and try to save on something else later.  

Order from AIM and you know what your getting.  I can be cheap and wait for sales but I only buy from reputable stores.  I've learned my lesson a long time ago.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#20]
They are legit if you order from Amazon LLC.

If you order from a 3rd party seller (when you click "xx new and yy used") you are rolling the dice.

Anything that ships from hong kong should be considered counterfeit
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#21]
https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/magpul-mbus-rear-flip-sght-gen-2-blk-2756.html
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:18:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I looked long and hard on Amazon for MBUS sights. I ended up buying local, but I thought it was pretty easy to tell the fakes from the real ones on Amazon.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top