Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/26/2014 9:20:52 AM EDT
I'm looking for 2 piece QD scopes mounts for a leupold mark AR. Id like anything up to about 100-150 bucks and something that will stand up to heavy use, I'm firing up to 100 rounds in  single day. any advice on what to buy or anyone looking to sell/trade?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Barely above your budget, but LaRue QD mounts are awesome:  LaRue

Slightly less expensive, but still good option is A.R.M.S:  22%20H]#22 High
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#2]
WTB ads go in the equipment exchange at the top right. You'll find good used mounts in that range such as ADM, bobto, or sometimes larue. 100 rounds won't throw many mounts off, so you could also look into the deal on palmetto state armory for the discounted Burris pepr QD mount. I believe it was only $90.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Is this going on an AR15, a bolt gun, or what?  Two piece mounts are problematic on an AR15s because of the need to get up higher than most two piece mounts and difficulty grtting the front mount/ring on the upper rail.  That's why one piece cantilever mounts tend to dominate mounting options.  What power range Mark AR?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#4]
You asked for two piece, and are getting one piece suggestions - so I'll pile on and let you know you get $20 off these prices on the pepr if you mail in rebate

I like my pepr qd on my ar/for the money.  It returns close enough to zero after dismount/mount for my uses/for the money.  However, if I was to buy another pepr, I wouldn't buy the QD pepr, I would get the screw type...because by the time I adjust the nut so the QD gets nice and tight, I need a tool/wedge of some kind to get the qd loose anyway because my fingers wont fit the allowed gap ... so next time I will get the screw type, I am never too far from a crescent wrench or tool of some kind to use the screw type.   It's not a high dollar ______ (fill in the blank), but it holds my scope well in rough coyote/in and out of truck type of uses YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you have a reason for 2 piece over 1?  Larue is very nice
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the weaver SPR mounts.
Light weight and a good height for me
Double thumbscrews work just like on my Acog.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
It's going on a 16in AR, built up my rifle to be sort of like a recce rifle. I also just prefer the look of 2 piece and haven't run into issues with spacing on the flat top or anything like that. I've been looking into the Larue SPR but it looks a little bulky, I was also wondering how it compares in weight to a simple 2 piece. I'm running weaver skelatonized at the moment, and the Mark AR is the 3-9 mildot
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#8]
ADM Recon
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's going on a 16in AR, built up my rifle to be sort of like a recce rifle. I also just prefer the look of 2 piece and haven't run into issues with spacing on the flat top or anything like that. I've been looking into the Larue SPR but it looks a little bulky, I was also wondering how it compares in weight to a simple 2 piece. I'm running weaver skelatonized at the moment, and the Mark AR is the 3-9 mildot
View Quote

Thanks for detail.  How are you getting proper eye relief on your stock and cheek mount with that scope and a front ring still on the front slot of your upper?  Every Leupold scope I've looked at, including both an LPS and the VX-R Patrol I currently run have an eye relief of about 3.5" to 4".  When mounted on an AR this usually puts the back of the eyepiece just about directly over the rear of the charge handle.  That puts the turret too far forward to get a standard Picstinny or Weaver ring in front of the turret and still attach to the receiver upper rail.

Here is my VX-R Patrol in a LaRue SPR QD.  Note where the turret is in relation to the upper rail slots. I cannot get a ring on the scope in front of the turret and attach it to a receiver slot.  If I move the scope back, my eye relied and cheek weld are blown.  Ime pretty sure the Mark AR turrets are about the same distance forward from the back of the eyepiece.  This is why I asked for photos of your setup, and why most of us are running cantilever one piece mounts.

Two piece tactical mounts work on the 7.62 AR 10, because the upper receiver is longer and has more slots.  Not so on the AR 15. Very short upper.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the detail and pic man, and I have my rear bell slightly past my charging handle (BCM mod 4) so it would clear my Troy buis. I'm currently away from my rifle but I'll post a pic as soon as I can to give more detail. Basically I have it mounted so that the magnification adjustment for the mark AR is directly above my rear buis. I'm also getting good eye relief because I run my STR on the fourth pos from the front. It's closer than what most would prefer but it was the only way I could mount my scope and still have buis fit underneath (also why I'm looking for new mounts).

Thanks for the input though and does any one know how to post a pic from either a iPhone or a mac? I'm new to the forum and haven't been able to post a pic yet
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#12]
As an update I looked at some old pics I had of my scope set up because I'm currently running a vortex strikefire and realized that my rear bell is substantially past my charging handle. This is partly why I keep my stock farther back and also why I was able fit the weaver rings on there. I'm no tactical elitist nor have a been shooting scoped rifles all that long so it's a detail I over looked to allow for buis without buying a new set of rings at the time. Now that I'm shooting much more often and would like to put my scope back on I'd like to do it right. Would the best eye relief and cheek weld be achieved by having the rear bell over the charging handle or is it more user preference?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Larue is too high, when k rest my cheek on the stock, my cheek bone contacts and lines my eye right in line with a very low scope. Larue is great, but too high for my liking.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:01:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As an update I looked at some old pics I had of my scope set up because I'm currently running a vortex strikefire and realized that my rear bell is substantially past my charging handle. This is partly why I keep my stock farther back and also why I was able fit the weaver rings on there. I'm no tactical elitist nor have a been shooting scoped rifles all that long so it's a detail I over looked to allow for buis without buying a new set of rings at the time. Now that I'm shooting much more often and would like to put my scope back on I'd like to do it right. Would the best eye relief and cheek weld be achieved by having the rear bell over the charging handle or is it more user preference?
View Quote

It's definitely dependent upon user preference and really based off of where you normally place your head while firing.  

If you shoot NTCH, you're most likely going to need the scope set further forward on the top rail.  If you shoot with an extended stock and your head relatively far back, the scope will need to be closer to the charging handle.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Larue is too high, when k rest my cheek on the stock, my cheek bone contacts and lines my eye right in line with a very low scope. Larue is great, but too high for my liking.
View Quote

Larue makes a lot of different mounts in different heights and lengths.  The SPR-S is 1.44" tall while the LT104 SPR/M4 is 1.50".  They also make a 1.93" model.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top