Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2014 3:42:33 AM EDT
I'm fortunate that I have two new nice higher end indoor ranges come online just recently.  One right by my office and a huge 60,000 sq ft facility being built 10 min from my house.  I'll definatley be shooting more.

A couple of us took a three hour lunch and went shooting yesterday.  It was the first time I shot my SBR indoors.  I have a TA33 with a green horseshoe ret.  shooting from a dark booth out to a lighted range section, it was very difficult to pick up the ret on the black target.  I have bad eyesight, but the others had lots of difficulty as well when they tried...I thought it was just me.  In my mind, this is a major issue and weakness for various reasons.

Is there a way to improve dark to light shooting performance on an ACOG.  any tips, advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:57:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Tape a mini chemlight to it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:18:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
+1 it is a known issue and the chemlight taped to the fiber optic is the solution for it for many.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:19:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Does it have the fiber optic thingy?

I would try taping a few tritium vials to it.  Couldn't hurt.  Search Candlepowerforums there used to be some people who sold tritium illuminators and the prices weren't bad.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the green fiber optic rod on the ACOG.  So now I have more questions...

Where do you position the chem light on the rod?  What kind of tape and exactly how do tape it in there meaning are you laying the light parallel to the rod?

What color would be best?

The. Tritium are interesting given that it's a more permanent solution.  I'd like to have a way to have them on there all the time so no matter when or what conditions I'm in, the ACOG is at full potential illumination-wise.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd go with green chemlights,  and I'd just use electrical tape. It's worked for me during deployments. Alternatively,  you could use some bicycle inner tube
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd go with green chemlights,  and I'd just use electrical tape. It's worked for me during deployments. Alternatively,  you could use some bicycle inner tube
View Quote

So do you just place the chem light parallel?  Does the tape end up covering the fiber rod.?  I guess I just need to see a pic of how this is done.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]
This is what I use www.amazon.com/Cyalume-ChemLight-Military-Chemical-Duration/dp/B0052ZAKXU , althought I don't know if the green color is best.

I place them along the fiber-optic, held down and covered by "ranger-bands" (strips of bicycle inner-tube tire).
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is what I use www.amazon.com/Cyalume-ChemLight-Military-Chemical-Duration/dp/B0052ZAKXU , althought I don't know if the green color is best.

I place them along the fiber-optic, held down and covered by "ranger-bands" (strips of bicycle inner-tube tire).
View Quote

So how many of the 1.5" chem lights do you affix to the ACOG?  When you tape them, does it have to cover the rod?  I'm trying to figure out a way that if I need to grab my rifle, I don't have to fiddly-fuck around with this and find tape and what not.  So, if you can just chem light... or maybe a permanent tritium rod and rig some sort of permanent holder for them, I think that would be ideal.  

Obviously, you don't want a chem light glowing brightly while you're tucked away, but if you only use one chem light or tritium rod, perhaps you could engineer up some sort of permanent rig that you would just activate the light and slide it on your ACOG using that rod holder somehow.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
+1 it is a known issue and the chemlight taped to the fiber optic is the solution for it for many.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I leave the ranger bands on the ACOG all the time, but so that they do not cover the fiber-optic and interfere with its normal illumination of the reticle.  At night, I pull the ranger bands over the fiber-optic, "break-open" a single mini-chem-stick and slide it underneath the ranger bands next to the fiber-optic.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I leave the ranger bands on the ACOG all the time, but so that they do not cover the fiber-optic and interfere with its normal illumination of the reticle.  At night, I pull the ranger bands over the fiber-optic, "break-open" a single mini-chem-stick and slide it underneath the ranger bands next to the fiber-optic.
View Quote

Is there anyway you could post a pic?  That'd help a lot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Some people have built a small device to illuminate the fiber by using a small LED keychain light, or rigging up their own device.  I don't have plans, but they usually affixed them with hook-and-loop strips, which also covered the top of the LED, and prevented leakage of the illumination outward from the device.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:15:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow, I forgot about this shortcoming with the ACOG when the shooter is is low light and the target is in a light environment.  I couldn't imagine having to tape/Velcro/keychain light, etc then have to resort to using tape, ranger bands, etc to trying to attaching the said light source to the optic (and then trying to do so in a hurry) just so you can see the reticule.  Andthen trying to find a way that keeps that light hidden except to the fiberoptic tube.  And all that for a $1000-$1200 optic that degrades in 15 years...

Don't get me wrong, I have and love my NSNTA01but I also like my 1-4x with a illuminated reticule.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:38:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wow, I forgot about this shortcoming with the ACOG when the shooter is is low light and the target is in a light environment.  I couldn't imagine having to tape/Velcro/keychain light, etc then have to resort to using tape, ranger bands, etc to trying to attaching the said light source to the optic (and then trying to do so in a hurry) just so you can see the reticule.  Andthen trying to find a way that keeps that light hidden except to the fiberoptic tube.  And all that for a $1000-$1200 optic that degrades in 15 years...

Don't get me wrong, I have and love my NSNTA01but I also like my 1-4x with a illuminated reticule.
View Quote

Yeah....I get what you're saying... I didn't really fully appreciate the significance of the issue until the other day at the indoor range  I've since sat in my house yesterday looking outside through the scope to the bright outside....which in my mind if anything would be the most likely scenario wherei I'd be engaged with my rifle in a serious situation... The ret would simply disappear as you went scanned across backgrounds.  

I was under the impression that the tritium would take over in the this scenario, but no... It doesn't work that way.

So now I really want to creat some sort of permanent mounting for a light source.  Pathetic considering the cost of an ACOG.  I
The problem is I'm not nearly clever enough to figure stuff like that out.  I have steal everyone else's ideas.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Why re-invent the wheel?
Look at the battery powered ACOG. TA02.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#16]
If you have a EO Tech model 512 and a front rail, just slap the eotech on the front rail. I do that with my ta01nsn model when I'm indoors. The acog and eotech lines up perfectly. Works pretty well for me.

It looks somewhat similar to this setup:

It allows you to illuminate no matter the condition.

My ta31ecos model works well indoors or out no matter the target's illumination due to the BAC. Not sure if years later it'll go down the shitter but for now it works well indoors or out.

Otherwise, as other said you need to tape some sort of light source onto the acog.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:50:37 AM EDT
[#17]
That is shitty now I am glad I bought two 512's instead ofone ACOG.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's an interesting setup though. I did it purely by accident one day. I had a eotech, and bought a acog and figured, "Hey, why not use both?" Then I started researching it and found that it's actually a technique used in the military to illuminate targets with the ta01 models since they don't have daytime illumination.

Overall you can't knock on acog. Matter of fact, I read that L3, after seeing this similar setup, decided to make the 3x multiplier since the acog and eotech basically functions similarly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's an interesting setup though. I did it purely by accident one day. I had a eotech, and bought a acog and figured, "Hey, why not use both?" Then I started researching it and found that it's actually a technique used in the military to illuminate targets with the ta01 models since they don't have daytime illumination.

Overall you can't knock on acog. Matter of fact, I read that L3, after seeing this similar setup, decided to make the 3x multiplier since the acog and eotech basically functions similarly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt ACOGS are tough as shit and are nice optics the low light thing is crap on the Tritium models but I do not think they are worth the asking price.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Meh...I can still see the black chevron reticle of an ACOG..YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Well... I don't want to buy an Eotech, or get rid of my ACOG and get something else.  I like the size, weight, and magnification I get.  I'm okay with rigging something up to light up the fiber rod, I just don't want some mickey-mouse bullsh*t on rifle though.  I just want something solid that'll work, that I don't have to f with every time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#22]
where is this new range being built?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
where is this new range being built?
View Quote

Tarpon Springs on US19

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/massive-indoor-gun-range-planned-for-tarpon-springs-site/2167991

It's going to be pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:55:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Can someone tell me how many of the small chem lights I'd need? Is one enough?  What about tritium rods?  I'm still trying to determine the best route.  Also, which color is best?  I have the green horseshoe if it matters.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#25]
One small chem light would do you just fine. Color of the chem light doesn't really matter that much in my experience.
They last for a few hours at a time. Kind of a clunky solution to your issue, the way I see it. That's just my opinion.

For me, and my type of shooting, the standard dual illumination ACOG works perfectly . If I were in your shoes with your particular range conditions, I would consider the battery operated ACOG. You can adjust the reticle brightness to suit your conditions. Much 'cleaner' solution than taping a chem light to your optic every time you want to go to the range.
I'm pretty sure you could 'horse trade' yours for a TA02, and not be out of pocket any $.

Again, my $.02.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#26]
This is why I like he cross hair models.  More reticle to work with when it blacks out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
No doubt ACOGS are tough as shit and are nice optics the low light thing is crap on the Tritium models but I do not think they are worth the asking price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only limitation of an ACOG's illumination is being in low light, and shooting into bright light.  For example, an indoor shooting range that's dark in the bays and has spotlights where the target hangers are.

After 2 deployments, the only optic I'm interested in on my M-4 is an ACOG.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Good grief, by a couple chem lights and figure it out. It's not fucking calculus.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Good grief, by a couple chem lights and figure it out. It's not fucking calculus.
View Quote

lols
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm fortunate that I have two new nice higher end indoor ranges come online just recently.  One right by my office and a huge 60,000 sq ft facility being built 10 min from my house.  I'll definatley be shooting more.

A couple of us took a three hour lunch and went shooting yesterday.  It was the first time I shot my SBR indoors.  I have a TA33 with a green horseshoe ret.  shooting from a dark booth out to a lighted range section, it was very difficult to pick up the ret on the black target.  I have bad eyesight, but the others had lots of difficulty as well when they tried...I thought it was just me.  In my mind, this is a major issue and weakness for various reasons.

Is there a way to improve dark to light shooting performance on an ACOG.  any tips, advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.
View Quote

ACOG TA02   LED
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Or use a little kydex so it can snap on and off easily.  This was made for night time spot light shooting.  For daytime shooting, leave more light tube exposed.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Does anyone make something similiar to an S&S vlite with a replaceable battery?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Good rubber band?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the help guys.  I'm going to play around with some different solutions that are quick deploy and work well.  I've got some good ideas now.  If I come with anything earth shaking to the ACOG world, I'll post it up here.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top