Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/23/2014 12:51:19 PM EDT
Looking for feedback on this optic by someone who has actually used it. If I get it I'm mounting it in a LT SPR base, to be used on a GI type carbine for overseas use, probably with std. green tip (62 grain) or MK262 (77 grain) depending on whats available. I have extensive experience on all SOPMOD optics, along with the Horus talon and blackbird series, and the S&B short dot.I would like general assessments on the scope (pros and cons/pitfalls) and I would like the specific questions answered:
1. Opinions on how rugged it is for "hard duty" use, EXCLUDING maritime ops- this isn't going on a safe queen to be transported to and from the range in a pelican and handled with kid gloves.
2. performance of the ballistic reticle at actual distances 200-400 meters (I intend to zero at actual distance of 100 meters) -are the stadia lines where they need to be?
3. How does it perform on low power for close range (1-25 meters) engagements
Any help would be greatly appreciated
-Shrap
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the non-illuminated one. Nice scope. For a range toy. Not for serious social encounters. I would go with a Vortex PST 1x4x.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
So this scope is not rugged enough or durable enough for duty use?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, what is your reasoning for choosing this scope ? Price etc?

What distance do you think most of your engagements will be ?

FWIW, I have the non illuminated model, and while it is a great bargain, and I would have no issue using it for SD roles, I am in the US, and not subjecting it to the everyday abuse you would. It's a good optic, but I don't think it's combat worthy.

The reticle is designed for a 55gr bullet at roughly 3200fps, a 62gr NATO will be close as will a heavier, higher BC bullet like you mentioned at the ranges you mentioned, but will be an inch or two off. The 55gr may be an inch or two off in your rifle, in your conditions, elevation.

For your engagement distances you may be as well served with an optic with no magnification, such as an Eotech which has a 1moa center dot, and mounting a magnifier on a flip mount behind it for longer engagements. 400 meters isn't that far or that hard to hit 10" plate without magnification, but with a moving target and one that takes cover and fires back, the magnifier will give you the magnification and clarity to see him, or what he has exposed of himself better.

If a 1x4 power scope is what you want, there are better options.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, what is your reasoning for choosing this scope ? Price etc?

What distance do you think most of your engagements will be ?

FWIW, I have the non illuminated model, and while it is a great bargain, and I would have no issue using it for SD roles, I am in the US, and not subjecting it to the everyday abuse you would. It's a good optic, but I don't think it's combat worthy.

The reticle is designed for a 55gr bullet at roughly 3200fps, a 62gr NATO will be close as will a heavier, higher BC bullet like you mentioned at the ranges you mentioned, but will be an inch or two off. The 55gr may be an inch or two off in your rifle, in your conditions, elevation.

For your engagement distances you may be as well served with an optic with no magnification, such as an Eotech which has a 1moa center dot, and mounting a magnifier on a flip mount behind it for longer engagements. 400 meters isn't that far or that hard to hit 10" plate without magnification, but with a moving target and one that takes cover and fires back, the magnifier will give you the magnification and clarity to see him, or what he has exposed of himself better.

I have used optics over here like the S&B short dot, horus talon, and blackbird 2. I like the variable ability to do from cose engagements at 1x or zoom up to not only aim at my target but also identify specific aspects of my target- all thru the same tube. Engagements from contact to 400 meters or so, often in a rapidly changing and dynamic environment. Right now I have a 4x acog with one of those cute little rds units on top (not a fan) as well as a eotech, aimpoint,- a whole bunch of stuff I would like to eliminate and just go with a variable short to medium range unit like before. Its a situation where "you get what you get, and if you don't like it, get something else on your own". I have a bushnell tactical HDMR at home on a personal rifle, I was wondering if this bushnell product was cut from even remotely the same cloth.

If a 1x4 power scope is what you want, there are better options.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Elcan

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top