Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2014 4:44:39 AM EDT
I am looking to buy the VX-R but I am curious distance wise what people have shot with it group size ect.  I know this is a mid scope, and only plan on using for range work and hog/deer hunting is within 50 yards, but I am curious how she works for people.  Thanks again.

Wanker
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#1]
For within 50 yards I can keep five shot groups all touching.  I really like the scope just with it was a true 1x
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the 3-9x40mm VX-R Patrol.  It has many of the same features, except the magnification range, and a reticle designed for longer range.  What I really like is the motion activated FireDot reticle.  It gives it ACOG or Aimpoint functionality, becsuse it activates instantly when you pick up the rifle.  Nothing to push or twist.  It shuts off if completely motionless for 5 minutes, then back on when picked up, remembering its last setting.  You can turn it off when traveling.  This means years of battery life.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a VX-R 1.25x4 and really like it.

On 4x, I have shot many (5)-shot groups at 100 yrds in the 1.25" to 1.60" range with my 16" barrel length BCM upper.  A few groups right at 1.00"

It's a good scope, very clear, good optics.  Not a true 1x but I'm fine with that for my uses.

I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one and love it. While not quite as fast as my Aimpoints up close, the FireDot really pops out and the 4x really gives you some options as far as taking a poke out at longer range goes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I looked at one in the store over the weekend. Just today  I ordered one along with a larue mount. I'll let you know how I like it in a few days.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't tried the VX-R Patrol but I have the VX-R 1.25-4x20 Hog w/FireDot and I love it.  The motion activated FireDot with adjustable brightness is really nice.  The glass is very good, they are extremely tough and to be honest I was so impressed I almost ordered a second one without even having something to put it on.  The only thing I would have liked is the red dot brighter in bright sunlight.  Obviously you don't really need one in bright light but I would like the option.  On it's brightest setting it will show up in really bright sunlight but you have to really look for it.  It may be that the battery is low, I've had it over a year maybe two and still on the battery that came with the scope so I have no idea what strength it was.  I guess I'll find out whenever the battery finally fails.

I have my "Hog" model mounted on my .50 Beowulf so it tends to gather spectators.  I'll usually let anyone take a shot or two of the Beowulf if they want to and I always get the same reaction...first they are excited about the gun but after that they always ask about the scope.  I've not had a single person shoot it who wasn't interested in the optic also and loving their first experience with it.  There are several different VX-R's, all a little different but I am tickled with mine, I don't think anyone would be disappointed with one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all for the information.  I think for my needs it will be perfect.  Not sure if it will come off my Savage .308 and make it to my daniel defense v7..  Actually who am I kidding yes it will.  Thanks again all.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I had my 1.25-4 mounted on my lr308 and was able to easily make hits out to 600. Strelok has the reticle available for your load data.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:28:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Good call.  I really have no need for very long distances.  Range work max is 200 yards, and hunting in florida is usually max 25 to 100 yards.  My eotech has done well hog hunting at close ranges, but I wanted something that can give me a clear visual head shot if I have to go out a little farther with morning and or evening light.   pumbaajk - glad to hear it can reach out that far with that type of accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Do it. I have one and it's great for what it is intended for. The bold reticle stands out even on dark backgrounds and the illuminated dot is very bright and has excellent battery life. Great for hunting
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been using one in competition for two seasons shooting Civilian Service Rifle at distances typically 100yds on Fig. 14 targets (Hun heads), out to 600yds on triple Fig. 11 targets (Charging man). on the latter most hits land on the centre target. I also use it inside 100yds in CQB matches on the same rifle, where the Firedot really comes into it's own (although I use the dot at all distances, as my old eyes pick up the centre more quickly. I previously used a LR/T mildot which has a much finer stadia and was concerned the VX-R one would be too thick, but my fears were unfounded. I can't give you group sizes as they aren't recorded and anyway, the errors are  a reflection of my ability, not the scopes'. I can tell you I came 9th nationally using it against much 'higher end' scopes I'm very pleased with mine.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top