BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
BTW, has anyone seen any published subtensions for each of the reticles?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can see why some people think you are a troll, your experiences are nothing like mine, or evidently like those of people who own them.  That does NOT mean you are a troll or liar, it just means you don't seem to have the same experiences.  It is entirely possible you had a bad optic. I'm not sure why or how that would have happened, but I have been using an early model VCOG since before they were even released, and it is nothing at all like you state you experienced.  
I tried two of them, and then passed them off to the employee at the store. They were both equal.

Eye relief and room for error with head position is impressive with mine.  
I found it sufficient, but it lacked compared to the K16i and Z6i I tried back to back with it. It was better than the Gen II Vortex Razor HD I tried by about the same factor as the others were to it.

Clarity and low light performance is outstanding with mine.  
The glass was very clear and colors were true.

Focus ability is better than almost every other (possibly every other) scope I've ever used.  Not only that, but guys with eye problems who have used mine have said the same thing.  
I agree, it was easy to focus, and there was a very wide range of focus available.

Focus stays locked without change through the entire spectrum for me, see above, there are no issues.  
The focus stayed locked, as well. but when I changed magnification, I had to re-focus the optic to again place the target and reticle in clear relief. To eliminate my own eyes or user error, I handed both VCOG's off to the employee,who experienced the same problem.

Illumination is solid, and works well even under some pretty bright lighting situations.  
Well, yes, but it was not as bright as the K16i or Z6i to my eyes. It turned a blood-red in very bright sun. The others retained a bit more vibrance.

The weight isn't a factor that I can see as you buy an optic like this knowing it is heavy because it is an armored unit.  If I wanted a light scope, I would use the Trijicon Accupoint and deal with the lesser features.
When you consider that the optic weighs what it does, also consider it comes with a mount. With Bobro QD mounts on this, or the Z6i, they are a mere couple ounces apart. Weight should not be why someone passes up the VCOG for any other 1-6X on the market. The fact that the tube is made of two extrusions fitted together is something that bothers me, however. I expected a 1-piece forged tube like the rest of the $2K+ optics. Does the extra mass make up for the weaker design? I bet it likely does. Still, they used the "Ruger" approach vs. the "Smith and Wesson" approach, which, at that price-point, is interesting. I bet it's plenty durable, physically, though.

Again, and for clarity to anyone who thinks I'm taking shots at anyone with this, I am not.  Experiences are different for different people, and while I am speaking with longer ownership time with my optic, it is still a sample of one that has been used by a bunch of different skill levels.  For myself, based on my experiences, if I were only able to own one optic, and it had to do everything, the VCOG would be it.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found the VCOG to be like looking through a straw compared to similarly priced optics such as the Z6i and K16i. The VCOG was heavier, had significantly dimmer illumination, was impossible to focus for 6X AND 1X use (you have to pick one...do you want it clear on 1X or clear on 6X? It won't be good on both), and had a noticeably less forgiving eye-box than the other two.

In my opinion, the  VCOG is junk riding on the coat-tails of the ACOG. If anyone else had put out such a piss poor performer, they would be ridiculed incessantly. My main complaint is the blurry sight picture. You can have a reasonably clear 1X or 6X, but once you dial it in, then change magnification, it's blurry on the other end of the magnification spectrum. Not that it was the best to begin with compared to others, but it is "usable" on that one magnification. The other, will give you a headache.

I can see why some people think you are a troll, your experiences are nothing like mine, or evidently like those of people who own them.  That does NOT mean you are a troll or liar, it just means you don't seem to have the same experiences.  It is entirely possible you had a bad optic. I'm not sure why or how that would have happened, but I have been using an early model VCOG since before they were even released, and it is nothing at all like you state you experienced.  
I tried two of them, and then passed them off to the employee at the store. They were both equal.

Eye relief and room for error with head position is impressive with mine.  
I found it sufficient, but it lacked compared to the K16i and Z6i I tried back to back with it. It was better than the Gen II Vortex Razor HD I tried by about the same factor as the others were to it.

Clarity and low light performance is outstanding with mine.  
The glass was very clear and colors were true.

Focus ability is better than almost every other (possibly every other) scope I've ever used.  Not only that, but guys with eye problems who have used mine have said the same thing.  
I agree, it was easy to focus, and there was a very wide range of focus available.

Focus stays locked without change through the entire spectrum for me, see above, there are no issues.  
The focus stayed locked, as well. but when I changed magnification, I had to re-focus the optic to again place the target and reticle in clear relief. To eliminate my own eyes or user error, I handed both VCOG's off to the employee,who experienced the same problem.

Illumination is solid, and works well even under some pretty bright lighting situations.  
Well, yes, but it was not as bright as the K16i or Z6i to my eyes. It turned a blood-red in very bright sun. The others retained a bit more vibrance.

The weight isn't a factor that I can see as you buy an optic like this knowing it is heavy because it is an armored unit.  If I wanted a light scope, I would use the Trijicon Accupoint and deal with the lesser features.
When you consider that the optic weighs what it does, also consider it comes with a mount. With Bobro QD mounts on this, or the Z6i, they are a mere couple ounces apart. Weight should not be why someone passes up the VCOG for any other 1-6X on the market. The fact that the tube is made of two extrusions fitted together is something that bothers me, however. I expected a 1-piece forged tube like the rest of the $2K+ optics. Does the extra mass make up for the weaker design? I bet it likely does. Still, they used the "Ruger" approach vs. the "Smith and Wesson" approach, which, at that price-point, is interesting. I bet it's plenty durable, physically, though.

Again, and for clarity to anyone who thinks I'm taking shots at anyone with this, I am not.  Experiences are different for different people, and while I am speaking with longer ownership time with my optic, it is still a sample of one that has been used by a bunch of different skill levels.  For myself, based on my experiences, if I were only able to own one optic, and it had to do everything, the VCOG would be it.  

I wish my experiences had mirrored yours, Stickman. I really wanted to like the VCOG as it runs on a AA, it has an integrally keyed mount interface, the weight is livable as any other 1-6X, although a TINY bit heavier (but made up for in other features), so on and so forth. What flat-out killed it for me was the eye-strain/headache it caused. Every time I changed magnification, I had to re-focus it or the reticle or target would be blurry.

No, I don't take offense that you differ with me on your experience. Maybe a bad batch DID get out. I really hope that is the case, and I will try one again later this year next time I am near the place I tried the first two.

Like I said before, noone from Trijicon kicked my dog. That's just my experience and I can't change what I experienced.

If the focus issue was a batch issue, I would HEAVILY consider the optic, as the eyebox is not a deal-breaker, as it is quite sufficient, and I will trade some off there for the AA battery and keyed mount.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Stickman pretty much stated what us other VCOG owners have already been saying, but coming from him, I'm guessing it will be more openly received.

Regardless, it just continues to show that the verdict is pretty much already out from those who have actually used VCOGs.
View Quote

Correct. Multiple people have the issue I'm talking about, but Stickman doesn't. Ergo, the multiple people who have issues are "unimportant" or "doing it wrong" or "trolling".

Not that Stickman's intent was to discredit me and the others who have complained about the issues we have stated, but it just goes to show how industry names can affect product perception. It's something people should always keep in mind when buying a product---or representing on, if they are as name-recognition gifted as Stickman is.

*Not a jab at stickman in the least, just a "market observation". I really hope me and the others who have had the issues just got a bad batch, as the VCOG looks killer on paper, and I like the features, just not the performance I experienced.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'll be getting one soon to check out for a bit and will post my observations.  I've only played with the pre-production model that Taran Butler had and at the time, it left me feeling underwhelmed.
Maybe their production model is different so I'll give it a chance.
Interestingly, Taran chose to stick with the TR24 AccuPoint. Hmm...
View Quote

I saw Taran's video with the VCOG, and noticed that he opted not to run one.

Noone at his level is running one, that I am aware of.

This is "a clue", IMO.

Like you, I hope the later scopes are better. I tested it out earlier this year, and did not post in this thread for some time about it. I hope I just got ahold of an early one/bad batch. It was when they first hit the public market.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Correct. Multiple people have the issue I'm talking about, but Stickman doesn't. Ergo, the multiple people who have issues are "unimportant" or "doing it wrong" or "trolling".
View Quote

MULTIPLE PEOPLE?!?

There were only TWO folks who PARTIALLY agreed with SOME of what you said (Spartan-Racing & SoloDallas).  And SoloDallas had/has his VCOG mounted too far to the rear.  So while that might Technically be considered "multiple", it is a SMALL percentage of the folks who've posted in this thread.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:28:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

MULTIPLE PEOPLE?!?

There were only TWO folks who PARTIALLY agreed with SOME of what you said (Spartan-Racing & SoloDallas).  And SoloDallas had/has his VCOG mounted too far to the rear.  So while that might Technically be considered "multiple", it is a SMALL percentage of the folks who've posted in this thread.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MULTIPLE PEOPLE?!?

Like I said, a layperson says it, noone listens. I held 2 optics that had issues. The sales rep agreed with me.
Then I linked to another person who had issues: Tmanker
I didn't pay anywhere near MSRP. After spending a little more time with it, my dislike has increased a bit. The eyebox is very unfriendly and I also began to notice the issues with focusing using the diopter. I had noticed that the last range session, but assumed it was me I guess. On a sunny day, the illumination is sub-par. I honestly think the ACOG is still the standard for that market. If you are looking for variable Trijicon, go with the accupoint. Reticle options suck with TR24 (my opinion), but much better scope for the money. I'm not sure if Liberty Optics will take the VCOG back, but that would be my next move. I was excited when I purchased it, much less after the first range session and not much at all now. I was under the impression that the razor 1-6 was the gold standard in the $1400 range. I guess it will be that, another ACOG or pony up for the kahles or swaro 1-6.

So those are 3 optics and 3 people who have had issues focusing it, and who agree that illumination on a sunny day is not up to snuff. Plus Spartan-Racing, who agreed with some of it.

Like I said, maybe a bad batch got out. I will handle a newer one. Tmanker just got his, though, a couple of months ago. So it's significantly newer the one's I looked through which had the same issue.

The VCOG just isn't impressing me nearly as much as the other optics in its MSRP range like the K16i and Z6i. I can't help that my findings with the optic are what they are. YMMV, and I hope it does, because if I spent even $1500 on the VCOG I looked through, it would be refund time.

Here is another user who mentions the illumination issues:
I'm glad I bought one and tried it. Glad I sold it and got $100 more than I paid for it.

For me it was too heavy, not enough data in the retical, poor illumination under battery power and didn't have enough "oomph" in terms of magnification for me.

But high quality, no doubt, and for others and other applications, probably the perfect choice.

You won't go wrong buying one from Grant. If you don't like it, you can always flip it.

Again, I linked to all of this stuff, but maybe everyone is scared of TOS. So I just will post the quote here.

So, yeah, 4-5 people either refused to buy it, bought it and dumped it, or bought it and are trying to get their money back. Huge sample? No. but I haven't seen that many people trying to get rid of the other optics I mentioned in this price range after 1-2 range sessions.

Regardless, I don't work for Trijicon. I don't work for a competitor of Trijicon. I get commission from noone. I started this thread a good while back, answered my own question, reported back, and was attacked for it.

So...realistically...let me just throw this out there...I hope everyone who disagrees with me buys the damn thing. If your experience mirrors mine, then that is the best possible jab I could take at you, because know that I am laughing at you, or would be, if I could see your frustrated "bastard was right. Screw him" look on your face. So, by all means, buy before you try!

But please...if it has any of the issues I found...post up here...I want the lolz. If not...post up here in my thread, anyway, because it does add another datapoint!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Finally got some time behind one this past weekend. Hmmm.. some observations:

1. Glass quality was very good to excellent. IMO, it's a hair below the Swarovski Z6i but not much.
2. Horseshoe reticle works well, although I don't like the crossed big black lines. I wish they would have just stuck with their ACOG reticles, which are relatively clean and uncluttered.
3. Illumination was good, although not as bright as I would have liked. It's definitely not ACOG bright but usable.  I've heard that FFP is harder to illuminate than SFP so that may play a part.
4. The weight is noticeable but I'm used to shooting an EOTech + magnifier setup so they feel about the same.
5. The zoom ring is great and very smooth. No need for scope lever.
6. With this model's 55gr BDC, I had a hard time matching the drops to the upper I was using (14.5" with 55gr PMC, 2850fps).  I tried to find the BDC subtensions but haven't seen them online and didn't get an email response from Trijicon.

So, in summary, it was pretty much the same scope I saw when it was Taran's prototype.  Very good scope with great features.  Steep price.  
Would I recommend one to others?  Given the price, probably not but if you can afford it and want the Trijicon toughness, give it a go and see for yourself if it works for you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I contacted Trijicon a few weeks ago about the VCOG's BDC for the 5.56 55 grain version and their response was:

"This optic’s BDC was calibrated
based on a 55 gr projectile at 3166 fps, and contact us if we can assist in
another capacity." The ranging lines are 18" at the assigned distances.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

1. Glass quality was very good to excellent. IMO, it's a hair below the Swarovski Z6i but not much.

2. Horseshoe reticle works well, although I don't like the crossed big black lines. I wish they would have just stuck with their ACOG reticles, which are relatively clean and uncluttered.

3. Illumination was good, although not as bright as I would have liked. It's definitely not ACOG bright but usable.  I've heard that FFP is harder to illuminate than SFP so that may play a part.

4. The weight is noticeable but I'm used to shooting an EOTech + magnifier setup so they feel about the same.

6. With this model's 55gr BDC, I had a hard time matching the drops to the upper I was using (14.5" with 55gr PMC, 2850fps).  I tried to find the BDC subtensions but haven't seen them online and didn't get an email response from Trijicon.

So, in summary, it was pretty much the same scope I saw when it was Taran's prototype.  Very good scope with great features.  Steep price.  

Would I recommend one to others?  Given the price, probably not but if you can afford it and want the Trijicon toughness, give it a go and see for yourself if it works for you.
View Quote

Did you experience having to re-focus the diopter when changing magnifications?

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't notice any changes between magnification ranges. I usually adjust the diopter at 6X and then leave it there for all other magnifications.  
My eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be so there could have been slight focus issues at other magnifications.  I just didn't notice it, especially at 1X when I'm moving fast.

Quoted:
I contacted Trijicon a few weeks ago about the VCOG's BDC for the 5.56 55 grain version and their response was:

"This optic’s BDC was calibratedbased on a 55 gr projectile at 3166 fps, and contact us if we can assist inanother capacity." The ranging lines are 18" at the assigned distances.

View Quote

Thanks, man. That's fast and probably XM193 out of a 16-18" barrel.  
Trijicon should just publish the MOA subtensions between the drops like all other optic manufacturers do.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I didn't notice any changes between magnification ranges. I usually adjust the diopter at 6X and then leave it there for all other magnifications.  
My eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be so there could have been slight focus issues at other magnifications.  I just didn't notice it, especially at 1X when I'm moving fast.

Trijicon should just publish the MOA subtensions between the drops like all other optic manufacturers do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

"This optic’s BDC was calibratedbased on a 55 gr projectile at 3166 fps, and contact us if we can assist inanother capacity." The ranging lines are 18" at the assigned distances.

I haven't looked, but the reticle might be in Strelok Pro.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:48:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
Great info, and I am looking forward to any videos you make in the future.

So how far were you shooting with it? 500 yards?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#13]
350 yards. Pretty busy with school so I'll see if I can put some video together since there's not too many YT reviews out there for it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]
So, I took a look at the diopter focus again and still didn't see any issues with it as I changed magnifications. When adjusting the diopter, make sure you're making the adjustment at max magnification and in short bursts or your staring at it will cause your eye not to relax and you'll get false reticle focus. This is mentioned in the VCOG manual.

Anyways, I have a day off from both work and school soon so will put together some video with my thoughts. Coming soon!

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

So, I took a look at the diopter focus again and still didn't see any issues with it as I changed magnifications. When adjusting the diopter, make sure you're making the adjustment at max magnification and in short bursts or your staring at it will cause your eye not to relax and you'll get false reticle focus. This is mentioned in the VCOG manual.

Anyways, I have a day off from both work and school soon so will put together some video with my thoughts. Coming soon!

http://i60.tinypic.com/2nsxi04.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#16]
As promised, my quick take on the VCOG. Hope it helps those who are deciding.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I do not own a VCOG. But, when I use my Swaro or Kahles 1X6, I also have to refocus to get a perfect sight picture when changing from 1X to 6X. This seems to be more pronounced in the Kahles. Not a big deal. Maybe since I use it on 1X with both eyes open at close objects (inside 50yds) and only use strong eye only at 6X. Or I have issues with my eyes. My right eye is stronger than my left...

I have wondered if other variable 1X4 or 1X6 scopes need some focusing when changing magnification.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcKcxo7laks
View Quote

Thanks for the excellent overview of the VCOG!

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome, man!

Oh BTW, fellas, I didn't have time to add it to the video but I did a long range testing comparison between 2 optics.  It consisted of shooting long distance targets from 200 - 375 yards with the VCOG vs the TR24 AccuPoint.  The result was that their runs were within 1-2 secs of each other, with the TR24 taking 1-2 extra shots on the 375 yard flasher. So, having 6X is nice but not mandatory IMO.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
So do you feel the VCOG reticle is busier than the XTR?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On 1X, no but on 6X, yes. Being that it's a FFP reticle, that horseshoe and the lines are going to be huge at 6X.  I don't like that because they may block other targets that are in the field of view.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
BTW, has anyone seen any published subtensions for each of the reticles?
View Quote

Also looking for specs on the BDC reticle.  Would like to know the bullet drop (in inches) for each hash on the .223 77gr reticle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you, more confirmation the Mk6 1-6 is the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Perhaps for you.

As said, I sold my Mark 6 1-6x after I picked up a VCOG.

And I can tell you I'll be picking up a second VCOG, and not another Mark 6.

I do want a Mark 6 3-18x though...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Perhaps for you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps for you.

Do you also feel the reticle is busy on 6x like SuprSet72 does?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I know a few dudes that are running and enjoying their Mk6 but I didn't really like the reticle on it either. If you're shooting in a lot of wind, you will appreciate the ton of wind holds the CMR-W has though!
Reticles are really subjective.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps for you.

I wouldn't say it's busy on 6x compared to a lot of other reticles.

It's pretty large on 6x and does take up some FOV of course, but it's nothing I find to be a crutch considering the type of shooting I would be doing at 6x.

On 1x, it's just like using an RDS, and blows every other 1-x I've used out of the water.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Perhaps for you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps for you.

Sure you've said so much, but like I stated before Mk6 IS daylight bright, VCOG is not daylight bright and considering it's price point it leaves me scratching my head what Trijicon was thinking.  I also think the CMR-W & TMR-D reticles are substantially better allowing for ranging, quicker & more accurate hits on target especially with unknown distances than the VCOG provides, which is kinda the point of having a LPV otherwise why not run a red dot?

I also prefer the Mk6 glass to the VCOG glass, better glass, better field of view, better adjustments (also allows the ability to dial your dope in, VCOG does not)...  That isn't even going into the other reported issues from decrease in clarity dialing up to 6x & Vickers losing his zero.  I'm glad you are happy with your VCOG, but definitely not for me and I'm not alone in that regard.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#30]
My VCOG's illumination is far brighter than the Mark 6 1-6x I owned, and the other Mark 6's I've looked through. In fact, the Mark 6's illumination is one of the cons I found with it. Beyond it not being as bright as the VCOG, you also run into flickering/washing out issues without ideal head position/eye relief. So I'm not really sure how you came to your observations there.

In fact, the VCOG's illumination, and long and forgiving eye relief are what really sold me on it over my Mark 6. I wanted an urban combat variable optic, not a more DMR/precision type optic. If I were mainly looking to use one of these on 6x for ranging and precision, then yes, I'd opt for a Mark 6 with the TMR reticle.

That's not what I was looking for though. I wanted a 1-6x that I would feel comfortable grabbing in any scenario, and that performed like an RDS on 1x. The VCOG blows the Mark 6 out of the water in this aspect. I would have never felt comfortable grabbing a Mark 6 equipped rifle to clear a house, or in a similar CQB scenario. With the VCOG, I wouldn't even hesitate.

As for glass quality, I find them pretty much on par. I may give a slight edge to the Mark 6, but it's not enough to be a selling point.

And sure, I guess your opinions aren't alone, but just the few similar ones we've heard in here are primarily coming from people who have solely looked through a VCOG at a retailer, and not from people who have actually put one to use. And I like how this Larry Vickers zero issue continues to be brought up. He had one of the early pre release VCOGs. And I'll stress one. Do you really think Leupold never released a Mark 6 with a kink in it? Especially with one of their pre release units.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My VCOG's illumination is far brighter than the Mark 6 1-6x I owned, and the other Mark 6's I've looked through. In fact, the Mark 6's illumination is one of the cons I found with it. Beyond it not being as bright as the VCOG, you also run into flickering/washing out issues without ideal head position/eye relief. So I'm not really sure how you came to your observations there.

In fact, the VCOG's illumination, and long and forgiving eye relief are what really sold me on it over my Mark 6. I wanted an urban combat variable optic, not a more DMR/precision type optic. If I were mainly looking to use one of these on 6x for ranging and precision, then yes, I'd opt for a Mark 6 with the TMR reticle.

That's not what I was looking for though. I wanted a 1-6x that I would feel comfortable grabbing in any scenario, and that performed like an RDS on 1x. The VCOG blows the Mark 6 out of the water in this aspect. I would have never felt comfortable grabbing a Mark 6 equipped rifle to clear a house, or in a similar CQB scenario. With the VCOG, I wouldn't even hesitate.

As for glass quality, I find them pretty much on par. I may give a slight edge to the Mark 6, but it's not enough to be a selling point.

And sure, I guess your opinions aren't alone, but just the few similar ones we've heard in here are primarily coming from people who have solely looked through a VCOG at a retailer, and not from people who have actually put one to use. And I like how this Larry Vickers zero issue continues to be brought up. He had one of the early pre release VCOGs. And I'll stress one. Do you really think Leupold never released a Mark 6 with a kink in it? Especially with one of their pre release units.
View Quote

You're the only person That I know of reporting VCOG having better brightness, but I'll leave it at that.  One final point before I bow out, the so called flickering Mk6 experiences is over blown.  By the time you notice the flickering your head is leaving the generous eyebox, rendering it a moot point.  Here is a video (not mine) demonstrating the flickering and judge for yourself:

http://youtu.be/q9yhgABY97c
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You're the only person That I know of reporting VCOG having better brightness, but I'll leave it at that.  One final point before I bow out, the so called flickering Mk6 experiences is over blown.  By the time you notice the flickering your head is leaving the generous eyebox, rendering it a moot point.  Here is a video (not mine) demonstrating the flickering and judge for yourself:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Burris XTRII has the same type of illumination and you have to be right behind the scope to see full illumination.  It is BRIGHT, though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:11:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top