Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2014 8:43:43 PM EDT
Ok real quick, should I have a front iron sight eventhough I am using a 1-4x scope?  I am not sure because it seems to obstruct my view through the optic but don't seem many rifles without them.

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx85/Rattliffc12/6978E991-A04A-4A29-BD92-531747182DF8.jpg

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx85/Rattliffc12/39AEB13A-8E98-4649-BE99-64F257E34B8A.jpg

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx85/Rattliffc12/2627216D-FA33-49E6-A556-C4FA7B247C08.jpg
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#1]
get folding sights.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
you need what YOU think you need. we have no idea what you use the rifle for, or if you would ever use irons.
I will tell you that on 1x you may see that front sight, but zoom your optic in and you won't
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two rifles with full length quad rails and no iron sights (they have lo-profile gas blocks hidden by the rails).

One is a scoped varmit and the other has an Eotech 1x.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you need what YOU think you need. we have no idea what you use the rifle for, or if you would ever use irons.
I will tell you that on 1x you may see that front sight, but zoom your optic in and you won't
View Quote

+1. You need what you need & nothing more. Now wanting is a different story. I like shooting w/ irons sometimes, so I run them.

ETA- If you decide to run BUIS, dont forget your receiver & gas block are not on the same plane.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
If you feel you may need to use this rifle as a weapon then yes, you likely need back up sights. I took my fixed sight off and replaced it with a flip up to get it out of the view of my EOTech.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:50:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends ... if a failure of the Optic could put your life in jeopardy, then yes. Just an inconvenient day at the sand pits, then no.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:09:35 AM EDT
[#7]
You need some trigger time and a carbine course.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:50:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Midwest Ind makes a nice gas block height flip up BUIS.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
get folding sights.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:56:51 AM EDT
[#10]
That doesn't look like a QD mount - so irons aren't going to buy you much unless you carry an allen wrench with you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That doesn't look like a QD mount - so irons aren't going to buy you much unless you carry an allen wrench with you.
View Quote
True, but flip ups are still easier then installing/re installing fixed irons every time you want to shoot with irons.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Nobody else here seems to be acknowledging that he does not have a REAR iron... OP, what's the point of a front if you don't have a rear?

"Need" is an interesting word. You might not need irons at all. And as someone else pointed out, you do need tools to remove your scope. And that type of mount probably won't return to zero because you may not torque the screws or nuts exactly the same when you remount it, so taking it off would have to be a last resort.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Only one of my AR's has front and rear irons and they are the folding type. It's the rifle that I would consider my go-to "battle rifle" so I want it to be as equipped as possible in case of an optic failure. My other two are pretty much only for range shooting and the occasional hog hunt so I really have no need for irons of any sort on those. So as others have said, only you know what your rifle really needs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:16:15 AM EDT
[#14]
You don't have a rear sight so what good is a front one doing you?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:41:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You don't have a rear sight so what good is a front one doing you?
View Quote

In CQB they teach you just to touch somebody with the front sight. So, in that regard
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#16]
When was the last time your optic failed you and you needed to deploy your irons?  Probably never.  I have used an Eotech at work for the last 10 years and have never had to use BUIS.  I wouldn't even bother with BUIS unless it was either a work rifle or your primary SHTF/HD rifle, and even then I would make a quality light and sling a higher priority.

I much prefer a fixed front FSB in that role for the reason DoctorLove gave.  At bad breath/oh shit distances when Mr. Murphy shows up you can just place the FSB COM and get torso hits all day long.  With some practice you can take things even further back, although since distance=time there is less need.  With flip up BUIS it is faster to transition to a sidearm then it is to deploy the BUIS.

OP with a scope without QD I wouldn't spend the money on BUIS.

Stay Safe,
Rob
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Some of my AR's still have irons sights but if they interfered with my scope mount off they came. I have never used my iron since I went to optics 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#18]
A couple years back I was at the range with a friend. He had an EO tech mounted to his MP15 and once we went to hot range, the EO tech just quit working. A guy sitting nearby saw my friend fumbling with his optic and offered a new set of batteries.

The new batteries didn't work and he didn't have a rear buis for that AR. So basically that trip he was shit out of luck.

I have irons (fixed on two ARs'and BUIS on one) and this is why.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
get folding sights.
View Quote

What he said. Fixed front sights and magnification rarely work out very well together.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Basically what others have said.
You don't 'need' it, but it's definitely nice to have should the optic fail.
Get a flip up sight!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#22]
It fades out of view... You can use the optic as a large ghost ring(on low 1x), in the same fashion as you can use the Aimpoint. Still rather have a dedicated BUIS, IMO. I find that there is enough "activity" on the range, one or two way, that you don't even notice the front sight.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#23]
if you buy the irons first you can justify a nice set and get familiar using them while saving for an optic.
if you buy the optic first you will likely never use your buis.
in the case of the op where an optic is already being used I would recommend a cheap front folding sight like an mbus...

I personally use and prefer the kac front micro folding sights but they run around $150 a piece.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
in the case of the op where an optic is already being used I would recommend a cheap front folding sight like an mbus...
View Quote

Not on a gas block rail, I wouldn't.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top